Do you prefer you delay Analog or Digital? And why?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Do you prefer you delay Analog or Digital? And why?

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:46 pm

It all starts with a NPD:

Just got my Tremolo pedal, it's really really good! All analog, built by an amateur a la Neiloler, developped from the well known Electronics Australia Tremolo design. The chap who made it mounted an extra speed control, so I can footswtich between 2 speeds....

And...... so I'm pedal smitten. :oops:

Converted. My previously dust gathering Wha, Sustainer and coolcat transparent overdrive have all been cleaned up, sctracthy pots cleaned......... and I'm looking at my next effect - a Delay.

So many delays on the market though!

From the dead simple 2 control dealy to thos with hundreds of settings.... analog or digital.....

What rocks your boat? What do you find useful? What caveats have you encountered?
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Re: Do you prefer you delay Analog or Digital? And why?

Post by misterMagoo » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:21 pm

I have enjoyed a Boss DD6, a big box deluxe memory man, and I currently have a Deluxe memory boy.

The DD6 didn't have much charicter, but it did have lots of clarity.
The DMM sounded amazing, although it was a bit noisey. The repeats were pretty clear though, it didn't really start to degrade until after quite a few. It was too big tho.
The DMB loses top end pretty quickly in it's repeats, but it's pretty quiet. The loss of top end is not entirely suited for high gain delay, but it works in a pinch. It does a lot though, and it sounds really good.

I think if you are using a lot of gain, a digital delay might be better. If you are using it for clean or breakup sounds, an analog delay can sound really organic and give you shivers in your scrotal sector.

Ideally I would have the DMM XO, and something digital like a nova repeater. The issue is mainly with money and board real estate. Until I can justify the upgrade, I'll keep the DMB, it's a pretty great sounding delay.
-Joe
My mother wears army boots.

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

http://lifereformatted.wordpress.com/
Check out my blog - adventure, travel, and the meaning of life.

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:24 pm

I really liked the Carbon Copy as it had a darker ("warm") analog sound. Now I have a Strymon El Capistan so I have to say, in this day and age, digital has caught up.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:02 pm

I've been through a number of delays and settled on the Timeline. Hands down best value out there I think. Maybe more than you'll need, but at the price your looking at the same price as buying two excellent quality delay pedals and you've always got two right there ready to be switched on then the banks of two. Aside from that, one pedal I really liked was the Vox Time machine. Did an analog sound or digital both very good.
When it comes to which I prefer, I think Analog for the most part, I just like how the sound decays letting the original notes stand out a little more and kind of creates an echo type feel.

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:33 pm

You are going to get a strymon. The first stage is acceptance. The second is to decide whether you want an el capistan, a brigadier, or a timeline. Sorry to be the bearer of such terrible news
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

terminate_user
Tiny Terror

Post by terminate_user » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:08 pm

jason41224 wrote:You are going to get a strymon. The first stage is acceptance. The second is to decide whether you want an el capistan, a brigadier, or a timeline. Sorry to be the bearer of such terrible news
^ this.
RV50MKII [black]
PPC212C [black]
'96 Marshall 1987x (Metropoulos Modded)
'92 Fender MIJ '72 Thinline Tele w/Flamed maple neck
'12 Fender American Deluxe Tele
'12Fender American Standard Tele
'12 Fender JA-90
'14 PRS S2 Starla
Hopeless Fender devotee
GAS Anonymous.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:49 pm

jason41224 wrote:You are going to get a strymon. The first stage is acceptance. The second is to decide whether you want an el capistan, a brigadier, or a timeline. Sorry to be the bearer of such terrible news
I wanted the El Capistan, then I wanted the Brigadier as well. So I got the Timeline. It the best of everything. If you don't like the Strymons, you don't like delay.

peanuts
Tiny Terror

Post by peanuts » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:11 pm

Last edited by peanuts on Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:48 pm

Refresh my memory - why are any of these considered analog? Aren't they all digital delays? Maybe they emulate analog, but in my book, it's only analog if it's tape....

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:58 pm

bclaire wrote:Refresh my memory - why are any of these considered analog? Aren't they all digital delays? Maybe they emulate analog, but in my book, it's only analog if it's tape....
Yes, they are digital. I'm thinking sound wise, not circuitry. The Strymon sounds every bit as good to a real analog delay.

jontheid
Orange Expert

Post by jontheid » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:17 pm

Aren't they all digital delays? Maybe they emulate analog, but in my book, it's only analog if it's tape....
You can have analogue delay without tape, using bucket brigade line devices :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bucket-brigade_device" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes, they have a discrete time interval between each analogue 'sample' but there is no quantisation of the actual signal level at any point.

In 2009 Visual Sound recommissioned the making of Panasonic IC bucket brigade chips, the Visual Sound Axle Grease Delay is 100% analogue.

Cheers
Jon

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:12 pm

bclaire wrote:Refresh my memory - why are any of these considered analog? Aren't they all digital delays? Maybe they emulate analog, but in my book, it's only analog if it's tape....

Doesnt analog refer to a circuitry that is totally solid state, transistor, caps and such? As in no chip?

The carbon copy or way huge aqua puss are refered to as analog, aren't they?

Goes to look up strymon options....
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:21 pm

Wouldn't the 1st stage be denial? ;)

What do you think these pedals do better than others then? Say compared to a nova delay? In that price range they look pretty darn good too? Never heard either, mind you!
Ant

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:46 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:

What do you think these pedals do better than others then? Say compared to a nova delay? In that price range they look pretty darn good too? Never heard either, mind you!
One thing is the guitar signal remains un-processed and there is NO tone colorization. Also, there is pretty much ZERO hum, hiss or anything when the pedal is engaged. Doesn't even sound like a pedal has been switched on except for the effect itself. Plus the tweakability of them is outstanding. For every parameter you see, theres a whole other set you can get into to, yet the pedals are remarkably simple to use. You don't have to be a computer geek to figure out all the settings. The standalone pedals have what they call the favorite switch where you add an external footswitch that recalls a preset, and you have the setting on the pedals footswitch as well. The Timeline has two presets available at anytime, and easily selectable banks of two presets, up to 100 banks. All accesible on the fly, midi capability, buffered bypass or true bypass, tap tempo....I could go on. Haven't even got into stereo options yet. Oh, and they're built to high standard, metal, real mechanical switches, knobs, jacks.

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:53 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:

nah. denial never appears in about 99% of cases. ;)

to answer your questions, let me give you my story. my first delay was a Nova Repeater. brilliant pedal, liked it a lot especially for the price, but i realized i only used the tape setting on it...i really liked that setting. so out of curiosity, i looked up pedals that emulate tape echos really well and found the El Capistan. great from everything dark, ambient and warbly, and bright and chirpy (though not as chirpy as a digital delay). sounded good in front of a dirty amp as well as a clean one too. when my delay needs expanded and i needed presets, that's when i upgraded to the timeline.

in a general sense, strymons excel at warmer delay sounds (analogue and tape). they won't do Boss DD7 like digital chirp, but i don't care for that sort of thing almost ever...and i can get close enough to that on the tape mode with the hi-cut all the way off. they're extremely realistic feeling and they sound really, really close to the units they emulate. take a listen to a few of these demos:

Timeline: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QtGYGRdqms
El Capistan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S6k_NFrHhE
Brigadier: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se5O40eFVMA
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals