New Tiny Terror, can't decide if it's for me

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

WDeranged

New Tiny Terror, can't decide if it's for me

Post by WDeranged » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:44 pm

I've been using a Tubemeister 18 for about a year and while I've been very happy with the versatility I've never quite got used to the sound, it's got an almost solid state quality that you can't dial out, slightly too brittle and harsh.

I've been interested in Orange amps for years so the other day I picked up a Tiny Terror, just to dip my toes into the water, I could immediately tell that the amp had a more organic and lively tone, harmonics jump out of the speaker (H&K TM112 cab with a v30) in a more interesting way but it still feels too bright, I keep wanting to reach for the EQ that isn't there :?

I've got a few more days to make up my mind before I have to return the amp so I'm trying to decide whether the OR15 or Jim Root Terror would suit me better, I really hate running delays and reverbs into the front end so the FX loop would be brilliant and the EQ section should help me tone down the highs without disturbing the mid range clarity.

I've watched a ton of Youtube videos and I'm leaning towards the JRT, the high gain tone sounds more focused and it appears to do passable clean sounds but I've also heard some really sweet demos of the OR15, and I have to admit the full Orange cabinet look is very attractive :oops:

Has anyone been fortunate enough to properly compare these amps?

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: New Tiny Terror, can't decide if it's for me

Post by Jondog » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:48 pm

The #4 (I refuse to call it the Jim Root) is a nice amp based of the Rockerverb preamp. You should like it compared to the TT.

WDeranged

Post by WDeranged » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:51 pm

I tend to agree, judging by youtube videos at least, it'd be nice to speak to someone who's compared the two amps in person though, if only to confirm what I think I'm hearing, the JRT seems to have less fizz and a bit more definition.

Dunky
Orange Expert

Post by Dunky » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:56 pm

I recently put my V30 speaker back into the ppc112, I dd have a greenback in there.
With the TT the difference is vast, yes the bass is tighter but that brightness is also there.
Same running my Laney L5t through the V30 as well (has a g12 heritage in the combo).

Could be a different speaker with the tubemeister may give you what you want?
Less outlay than a new amp as well.

ScottyDanger
Orange Hero

Post by ScottyDanger » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:49 pm

Too bright? Have you tried using your guitar's tone knob in addition to/instead of the amp's knob? When I had a Dual Terror, I could coax just about any sound out of it with two tone knobs and strumming in different locations above my pickups. It's really sensitive, but really versatile.
SG Standard / Telecaster / Cyclone
Fender '65 Princeton Reverb RI
MXR - M102 / M103 / M169

WDeranged

Post by WDeranged » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:45 pm

Dunky wrote:I recently put my V30 speaker back into the ppc112, I dd have a greenback in there.
With the TT the difference is vast, yes the bass is tighter but that brightness is also there.
Same running my Laney L5t through the V30 as well (has a g12 heritage in the combo).

Could be a different speaker with the tubemeister may give you what you want?
Less outlay than a new amp as well.
I've tried quite a few different speakers with the Tubemeister and it always sounds a bit boring to my ears, it's way more versatile than the Terror but I think it lacks some of the richness.
ScottyDanger wrote:Too bright? Have you tried using your guitar's tone knob in addition to/instead of the amp's knob? When I had a Dual Terror, I could coax just about any sound out of it with two tone knobs and strumming in different locations above my pickups. It's really sensitive, but really versatile.
It's hard to explain but I feel like I'm having to turn up the amp's tone knob to get the upper mid range how I like it but by that point I'm also hearing too much top end, I'll spend the weekend playing around with it some more but I think I'll be sending it back and trying out the Jim Root, if only for the effects loop, I'm sorely missing my delay.

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:44 am

The or15 is a great little amp, I just sold mine to put together the money for a RV50, but I would love to have another one in the future. It's a little more modern than the TT and will have more gain. It's a very nice amp and definitely has some nice vintage tones as well. I used it live one time and a guy commented that he thought it sounded like a marshall plexi, not sure about that but its a real cool amp!
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc
Mesa Boogie wide body 1x12
Gibson Les Paul custom black beauty(maple Fretboard)
Gibson Les Paul custom 58 vos
Gibson les Paul custom 57 vos

WDeranged

Post by WDeranged » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:42 pm

I'm quite badly torn between the OR15 and the Jim Root, I keep seeing videos where they both sound phenomenal, I just can't put my finger on the differences between them, I don't have access to shops where I can try these things :(

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:58 pm

WDeranged wrote:I'm quite badly torn between the OR15 and the Jim Root, I keep seeing videos where they both sound phenomenal, I just can't put my finger on the differences between them, I don't have access to shops where I can try these things :(
I'd go OR15 if it was only for not having a darn signature model. I'm a fickle ass though.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

WDeranged

Post by WDeranged » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:22 am

The Tiny Terror is going back tomorrow and I'll more than likely be ordering the OR15, I hope I'm not being swayed by looks...but then it does sound really good in demos :)

kaipartai

Post by kaipartai » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:50 am

Bought my OR15 last week, it does sound good, much better than the TT to my ears! And I've always been a Marshall man!

falcon1

Post by falcon1 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:51 am

Lol, this sounds exactly like me when researching numerous amps over a span of 6 months. I must have tried out 10 different brands of amps and cabs, 30 heads at least. Then there was orange. I could not get the sound out of my head. I remember walking in my local guitar shop, which they are an authorized orange dealer, and telling them what I was looking for. I grabbed my prs and plugged into an orange just to humor them. Boy did I feel stupid for not listening. This was the or15. It is more voiced for classic rock but I loved its tone. I wanted it right then and there. Then came confusion. Knowing that I play hard rock they plugged me into the #4 head. I went an additional 3 more months trying to decide which one I wanted. My only concern was that they are both single channel amps.

After watching youtube, pestering the wife and well everybody I decided to go with the #4 head and matching cab. This is my only amp, my main amp. I had to get used to rolling back the guitar volume to get clean tones. This was my concern but I am getting great clean tones. Probably the best I've ever got actually. I'm running a tc electronic spark booster and flashback delay in the fx loop and a Morley wah, chorus and phaser in the front. I've had this rig for 2 months now and I am still grinning ear to ear every time I plug in. Plenty of volume too.

In all honesty, I think I would have had the same feeling if I did choose the or15. Don't think you'll go wrong with either one.

falcon1

Post by falcon1 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:08 am

WDeranged wrote:I tend to agree, judging by youtube videos at least, it'd be nice to speak to someone who's compared the two amps in person though, if only to confirm what I think I'm hearing, the JRT seems to have less fizz and a bit more definition.
It is more defined and punchy despite its size. It is a more modern sounding amp which is why I chose the #4. When I rehearse in a full band situation and have this amp set up at 15 watts with the gain at 1 o'clock and volume at about 9 o'clock. Plenty of crunch and volume that pisses the other guitar player in the band off who has a 100 watt carvin v3 full stack. Sounds better when cranked louder and stays defined. Hope this cures your curiosity. Cheers.

WDeranged

Post by WDeranged » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:06 am

Thanks for the replies, some good info here and it's definitely helping me build a clearer picture of these amps but I'm still no closer to a decision, I really like to play hard rock and classic rock/blues, can't buy both of the buggers though :lol:

falcon1

Post by falcon1 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:02 pm

You are like me then :lol: I want to own both as well. I understand. If you are more hard rock tho get the #4. If you are more classic rock then get the or15. I do like the sounds of a lead tone on the or15 better. Especially when play a neck pup on a strat. But the #4 can get very articulate as well.