Should I sell the TT?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

nlimbaugh
Orange Master

Should I sell the TT?

Post by nlimbaugh » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:42 pm

It seems that the Vox ac15 is simply sounding better to me after multiple multiple tests. Now the OR80 is king of kings but do I need two 15 watt amps? I guess I should think about it more. It's a Korean model which I hear fetch a little more. FWIW, my new 56' ES125 seems to sound better IMO than my 77' ES335. It must be the old P90 (maybe)...so crisp. Now I'm not gonna sell the 335 or anything crazy like that.

jason41224
Orange Master

Re: Should I sell the TT?

Post by jason41224 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:20 pm

You need both for biamping!

Just kidding. I personally prefer the tiny terror, but whatever floats your boat. Try running it clean with pedals before you decide to let it go
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

nlimbaugh
Orange Master

Post by nlimbaugh » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:32 pm

I played both amps extensively today and I don't know what I was hearing before really. In terms of amp interaction so to speak, the TT seems more connected while the AC15 seems more detached. Hard to describe really. Anyway, any thoughts of selling it are gone. :D

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Post by Borderline Productions » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:41 pm

The short answer is AB/Y pedal and play both at the same time. I think the amps complement each other.
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nlimbaugh
Orange Master

Post by nlimbaugh » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:02 pm

[quote="Borderline Productions"]The short answer is AB/Y pedal and play both at the same time. I think the amps complement each other.[/quoteI

I sent back the lehle pedal. I totally agree though. It just seemed by the time I get both to the good volume level I might as well break out the OR80. I bet it's not any louder and it just seems to stomp everything. I might have been dazzled by the AC15 reverb me not using any pedals and all, but with the TT I just seemed more at one with the amp even if it's less forgiving. The AC can definitely cover up some weak playing (at least for me). The TT made it seem like me and the guitar were one animal. The AC gave me a sense of there being some kinda buffer between me and the music. FWIW, I did check out tubes in the AC15. Tung Sol preamp idles louder than I could ever tolerate... I hardly ever get to playing those new preamp tubes because I just can't get past the liftoff. Mazda 12ax7 whisper quiet... it's probably about forty years old... most likely played in V2 because the other one has a tad static but still nothing at all compared to the hum of the Tung Sol. Who knows, maybe the Tung Sol was going bad but I doubt it. Anyway, still a proud TT owner here. :D

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:04 pm

nlimbaugh wrote:
Borderline Productions wrote:The short answer is AB/Y pedal and play both at the same time. I think the amps complement each other.[/quoteI

I sent back the lehle pedal. I totally agree though. It just seemed by the time I get both to the good volume level I might as well break out the OR80. I bet it's not any louder and it just seems to stomp everything. I might have been dazzled by the AC15 reverb me not using any pedals and all, but with the TT I just seemed more at one with the amp even if it's less forgiving. The AC can definitely cover up some weak playing (at least for me). The TT made it seem like me and the guitar were one animal. The AC gave me a sense of there being some kinda buffer between me and the music. FWIW, I did check out tubes in the AC15. Tung Sol preamp idles louder than I could ever tolerate... I hardly ever get to playing those new preamp tubes because I just can't get past the liftoff. Mazda 12ax7 whisper quiet... it's probably about forty years old... most likely played in V2 because the other one has a tad static but still nothing at all compared to the hum of the Tung Sol. Who knows, maybe the Tung Sol was going bad but I doubt it. Anyway, still a proud TT owner here. :D

I agree with this, mazdas super quiet for sure,

Also, I have the TThw and I'm thinking of selling it. My OR120 sounds better even at the lower volumes to me...I had John Mcneese put a PPIMV in it, very neat and easily reversed work, and the OR120 sounds way meatier and gainy enough even at very low volumes with his master volume installed....These days I'm laying off the gain and playing Graveyard type music anyway. The smaller wattage amps just don't have the headroom to do this type of music well enough IMO. I'd love to have an Ormat OR200/100 :twisted: The only thing the terror has over it portability. I've got a R30, and a Retro50 too, and I think they're both on the way out as well....I just like that bold OR tone
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

nlimbaugh
Orange Master

Post by nlimbaugh » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:48 am

OK Ironlung, when you say gainier and meatier even at low volumes but you need the clean headroom that the low wattage ones don't have, I figure you're speaking of playing different types of music at different volumes. So, are you getting the good cranked tone better without turning up? And, do you still have the ability to turn up and get clean headroom? I opted to not have the master vol mod because I didn't want to get something I didn't know much about. FWIW, I've been using my guitar volume knob more to dial things in better at different volumes. Just curious.

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:06 pm

nlimbaugh wrote:OK Ironlung, when you say gainier and meatier even at low volumes but you need the clean headroom that the low wattage ones don't have, I figure you're speaking of playing different types of music at different volumes. So, are you getting the good cranked tone better without turning up? And, do you still have the ability to turn up and get clean headroom? I opted to not have the master vol mod because I didn't want to get something I didn't know much about. FWIW, I've been using my guitar volume knob more to dial things in better at different volumes. Just curious.
I use my guitar volume and I use a boost pedal, but I am getting good headroom and good overdrive tone at very manageable volumes. By the time the TT gets cranked enough to sound good, my OR120 would already be there sounding better. My OR sounds really meaty even at low home practice levels. It is all in the type of MV you have installed. The stock Overdrive series master volumes most likely don't perform as well as the one I have had installed on mine. I let John Mcneece design it. It is his own design. I trusted his ear as he is an avid vintage Orange/Matamp fan. He designed this MV to be out of circuit when the volume pot is full open, and he tweaked on it for a couple of days until he felt satisfied with the amp's tone at low volume levels as well as high. It really sounds great. Many of the new Orange's are known for having a great master volume and I believe this one performs about as well as any I've heard, and it does it on a very hard to tame OR120.

Even better, was John's and my insistence on keeping the amp as close to original spec as possible. His work is very neat, and there are absolutely no drilling or other non-reversible changes made to the amp. I can have it put back stock at anytime with all of the original components.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

nlimbaugh
Orange Master

Post by nlimbaugh » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:14 pm

Might have to look into that. Thanks.

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:38 pm

ironlung40 wrote:
nlimbaugh wrote:OK Ironlung, when you say gainier and meatier even at low volumes but you need the clean headroom that the low wattage ones don't have, I figure you're speaking of playing different types of music at different volumes. So, are you getting the good cranked tone better without turning up? And, do you still have the ability to turn up and get clean headroom? I opted to not have the master vol mod because I didn't want to get something I didn't know much about. FWIW, I've been using my guitar volume knob more to dial things in better at different volumes. Just curious.
I use my guitar volume and I use a boost pedal, but I am getting good headroom and good overdrive tone at very manageable volumes. By the time the TT gets cranked enough to sound good, my OR120 would already be there sounding better. My OR sounds really meaty even at low home practice levels. It is all in the type of MV you have installed. The stock Overdrive series master volumes most likely don't perform as well as the one I have had installed on mine. I let John Mcneece design it. It is his own design. I trusted his ear as he is an avid vintage Orange/Matamp fan. He designed this MV to be out of circuit when the volume pot is full open, and he tweaked on it for a couple of days until he felt satisfied with the amp's tone at low volume levels as well as high. It really sounds great. Many of the new Orange's are known for having a great master volume and I believe this one performs about as well as any I've heard, and it does it on a very hard to tame OR120.

Even better, was John's and my insistence on keeping the amp as close to original spec as possible. His work is very neat, and there are absolutely no drilling or other non-reversible changes made to the amp. I can have it put back stock at anytime with all of the original components.
Let me know if you go that route, I may need to give you some more info.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI