Talk me out of selling my Rocker 30 to go Fuchs

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

macg1
Rocker

Post by macg1 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:00 pm

Been on a "wreck style" amp kick of late. I cannot justify having two heads, so I have been thinking about leaving the Orange family, selling my Rocker 30, to fund the purchase of a Fuchs Train 45. People who know me well are trying to talk me out of it (they of course do not know what trainwreck amps are all about). This is not a decision to make lightly as the R30 has been a real champion for my tone (i got one with the mercury magnetics trannies), and the best recorded amp I have ever owned. I know the two amps are apples and Oranges :P
I've got love to burn!
-Orange Rocker 30, 1x15 Glaswerks Cab, Emminence Big Ben.
-2010 LP Trad Pro, 2002 Gibson FB VII.
-Celestial Effects Scorpio, Aquarius, Virgo, Taurus, Sinna-a Wah, Line 6 MM4, TC Alter Ego.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Re: Talk me out of selling my Rocker 30 to go Fuchs

Post by a.hun » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:07 pm

Too bad you can't justify having both. Can't you just sell the sofa and use some crates and cushions instead?

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:14 pm

Do you know what you're getting with the Fuchs?
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

macg1
Rocker

Post by macg1 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:21 pm

a.hun wrote:Too bad you can't justify having both. Can't you just sell the sofa and use some crates and cushions instead?

Andy.
HA! Well I finally paid off my GAS-induced major debt and now if I cannot trade or sell/buy breaking even, I cannot justify having the gear. Call it "fiscally responsible GAS".
I've got love to burn!
-Celestial Effects Scorpio, Aquarius, Virgo, Taurus, Sinna-a Wah, Line 6 MM4, TC Alter Ego.

macg1
Rocker

Post by macg1 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:24 pm

irish_admiral wrote:Do you know what you're getting with the Fuchs?
Yeah, a loud wreck style amp. It will take pedals well, be incredibly touch sensitive, and dare I say, superior build quality.
I've got love to burn!

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:04 am

No, don't do it. (Thats me talking you out of it),Actually kind of sounds like you've made up your mind. For sure the Fuchs will be a great amp, but, be sure you won't regret giving up the Rocker. Play the new amp before you buy it in depth to make sure it's going to do what you like and the Rocker provided for you. Rocker was a breakthrough amp for me, different from everything else on the shelf.

macg1
Rocker

Post by macg1 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:35 am

Jondog wrote:No, don't do it. (Thats me talking you out of it),Actually kind of sounds like you've made up your mind. For sure the Fuchs will be a great amp, but, be sure you won't regret giving up the Rocker. Play the new amp before you buy it in depth to make sure it's going to do what you like and the Rocker provided for you. Rocker was a breakthrough amp for me, different from everything else on the shelf.
Actually I feel the same way about the Rocker... It is that silly things that hits every once in a while about new gear. Mind is leaning toward the Rocker always as it has been an integral part of my sound. Likely a very silly idea to try anything else.
I've got love to burn!

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:55 am

But surely your only going to get about 300 for the Rocker...its not going to make much of a dent in the price of the Fuchs
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:52 pm

macg1 wrote:
a.hun wrote:Too bad you can't justify having both. Can't you just sell the sofa and use some crates and cushions instead?

Andy.
HA! Well I finally paid off my GAS-induced major debt and now if I cannot trade or sell/buy breaking even, I cannot justify having the gear. Call it "fiscally responsible GAS".
Fair enough, that's a good thing. I've always bought gear only when I could afford it outright. 8)
Personally I buy gear to keep, and if it does what I like and I know I'd miss it I try never to move it on. If it doesn't work well for me than it goes though - no problem. But on the one occasion when I had to sell my gear (OR120 apart) I really regretted it and still miss my first bass especially. I don't know what you'd get for the R.30 right now but I agree it wouldn't make a huge dent in the price of the Fuchs. You know they are pretty different amps and that you'd miss the Rocker. So maybe you want to ask yourself just how long would it take you to save that amount?

Is there any real hurry? Why do you want / need the Fuchs, and how urgent is it?

Clearly it isn't for sheer power. The Fuchs is rated at "35 watts clean 45 watts peak", so with the R.30 being a particularly punchy 30 watter it isn't going to be significantly louder at all.

The voicing will be different of course. And I agree that the Fuchs will be a higher quality build. But that doesn't mean that there is much wrong with the R.30 that way - there really isn't - just that you are talking about another price / quality level. Given normal routine maintainence though they are both amps that should do you well for many years.

Do you actually need some sounds right now which you simply can't get from the Rocker? Have you tried an EQ pedal with it? I can easily get the Natural channel to sound pretty 'Fender-like' for example with a bit of external EQ'ing, and that'll hold for the Dirty channel too. A half decent graphic EQ can get you a lot more sounds. Even without that I still find the R.30 one of the most versatile amps I've played in terms of being able to get great sounds for all sorts of different styles. So is the Fuchs right now a 'need' or more a 'want'. I wanted a Custom 100 Hiwatt for many years, but there is no way I'd have sold my old Orange to get it. When I finally got one I thought (and still think) it is about the best amp ever made in terms of design, build quality and sheer bigness and sweetness of sounds. But then it isn't an Orange, and nothing else will give you the unique sounds you'll get from an Orange. Such different amps don't replace each other, they just give you more options.

You really want both, right? Why not just make the Fuchs wait a little? Who knows, maybe you'll spot one s/h in the meantime and be able to have both sooner than you think?

So how are we doing?

Andy.

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

macg1
Rocker

Post by macg1 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:26 pm

Ronnie Robinson wrote:But surely your only going to get about 300 for the Rocker...its not going to make much of a dent in the price of the Fuchs

HA! unfortunately they would be about the same price. Found some good deals on the Fuchs.
I've got love to burn!

macg1
Rocker

Post by macg1 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:37 pm

a.hun wrote:
macg1 wrote:

Andy.
Fair enough, that's a good thing. I've always bought gear only when I could afford it outright. 8)
Personally I buy gear to keep, and if it does what I like and I know I'd miss it I try never to move it on. If it doesn't work well for me than it goes though - no problem. But on the one occasion when I had to sell my gear (OR120 apart) I really regretted it and still miss my first bass especially. I don't know what you'd get for the R.30 right now but I agree it wouldn't make a huge dent in the price of the Fuchs. You know they are pretty different amps and that you'd miss the Rocker. So maybe you want to ask yourself just how long would it take you to save that amount?

Is there any real hurry? Why do you want / need the Fuchs, and how urgent is it?

Clearly it isn't for sheer power. The Fuchs is rated at "35 watts clean 45 watts peak", so with the R.30 being a particularly punchy 30 watter it isn't going to be significantly louder at all.

The voicing will be different of course. And I agree that the Fuchs will be a higher quality build. But that doesn't mean that there is much wrong with the R.30 that way - there really isn't - just that you are talking about another price / quality level. Given normal routine maintainence though they are both amps that should do you well for many years.

Do you actually need some sounds right now which you simply can't get from the Rocker? Have you tried an EQ pedal with it? I can easily get the Natural channel to sound pretty 'Fender-like' for example with a bit of external EQ'ing, and that'll hold for the Dirty channel too. A half decent graphic EQ can get you a lot more sounds. Even without that I still find the R.30 one of the most versatile amps I've played in terms of being able to get great sounds for all sorts of different styles. So is the Fuchs right now a 'need' or more a 'want'. I wanted a Custom 100 Hiwatt for many years, but there is no way I'd have sold my old Orange to get it. When I finally got one I thought (and still think) it is about the best amp ever made in terms of design, build quality and sheer bigness and sweetness of sounds. But then it isn't an Orange, and nothing else will give you the unique sounds you'll get from an Orange. Such different amps don't replace each other, they just give you more options.

You really want both, right? Why not just make the Fuchs wait a little? Who knows, maybe you'll spot one s/h in the meantime and be able to have both sooner than you think?

So how are we doing?

Andy.

You guys are doing a great job! The concept of the Fuchs just really became a new thing as I keep watching more and more trainwreck videos and loving that sound. The Fuchs just happens to be about evenly price matched with the R30. Do I need it that sound? It is certainly more of a want. No need for extra EQ or pedals, beyond what I already use; certainly I am not unhappy about the tone. But at the end of the day the fact that nothing can sound like the Orange is likely the heart of the matter. The Orange stays.
I've got love to burn!

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:48 pm

I've bought and sold so many amps. I've owned all kinds of classic amps (Marshall, Vox, custom shop Orange, Fender, Magnatone, Ampeg, Kustom, etc). Once I moved to the R30 I felt I'd found my personal sound and sold everything except an Ampeg Gemini II because I really like the amp's reverb and it's just a cool amp (it's broken right now though). If you feel that your tone is everything you want it to be right now, why would you consider changing? I'm sort of over the GAS stuff now and spend my time concentrating on writing, playing, practicing, and promoting my band instead of fawning over other gear. If you want the amp, then get it, but if you are happy now with what you have, maybe it's not the right thing to do. I'd only buy it if you can afford to have both. Did that work?

macg1
Rocker

Post by macg1 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:41 am

baytamusic wrote:I've bought and sold so many amps. I've owned all kinds of classic amps (Marshall, Vox, custom shop Orange, Fender, Magnatone, Ampeg, Kustom, etc). Once I moved to the R30 I felt I'd found my personal sound and sold everything except an Ampeg Gemini II because I really like the amp's reverb and it's just a cool amp (it's broken right now though). If you feel that your tone is everything you want it to be right now, why would you consider changing? I'm sort of over the GAS stuff now and spend my time concentrating on writing, playing, practicing, and promoting my band instead of fawning over other gear. If you want the amp, then get it, but if you are happy now with what you have, maybe it's not the right thing to do. I'd only buy it if you can afford to have both. Did that work?

yep, you guys did the job. R30 stays!
I've got love to burn!

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:08 pm

Excellent. Good job people!!! :D

Andy.

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:31 pm

Well, you'll be back..... ;)
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals