What's the deal with the Dual Terror

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

DrHalprinstein

What's the deal with the Dual Terror

Post by DrHalprinstein » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:58 pm

Hello,

I plan on picking up the Dual Terror and a 1x12 cab to go with it. When I first found out about the DT, I heard nothing but fantastic reviews about it - everything about it. Now I've been finding out about problems people have been experiencing with the DT - popping, hissing...just general problems with sound. So now i'm confused....I really want this amp and the Orange name, but if its way more trouble than it's worth should I even bother?

Responses would be greatly appreciated. I'm very new to tube amps and need all the advice I can get :)

ScottyDanger
Orange Hero

Re: What's the deal with the Dual Terror

Post by ScottyDanger » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:38 am

I had one for about a year or two, really loved it. While I don't regret selling it, because my new amp gets the sounds I need on a daily basis, I do miss it dearly. I dropped mine off a 1960A onto a linoleum floor and never noticed any adverse effects. Any wonky sounds were just indication of tubes dying. Otherwise, pure thick orange bliss.

All things considered, I will eventually pick up a used/b stock tiny terror down the road, but for my musical stylings (throwback pop a la she & him) I need a Fender, and do not need to have an Orange on hand. It will just be for juicy leads and scratching that rock n' roll itch.

Hope my experiences can help you!
SG Standard / Telecaster / Cyclone
Fender '65 Princeton Reverb RI
MXR - M102 / M103 / M169

DrHalprinstein

Post by DrHalprinstein » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:57 am

That's great! I should be ordering mine next week. I just hope it isn't manhandled too much during the shipping process, even though i'll probably have to put fresh tubes in it when it comes in. Thanks for your reply!

ScottyDanger
Orange Hero

Post by ScottyDanger » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:03 am

DrHalprinstein wrote:That's great! I should be ordering mine next week. I just hope it isn't manhandled too much during the shipping process, even though i'll probably have to put fresh tubes in it when it comes in. Thanks for your reply!
No problem!

I manhandled the crap out of mine, and it held up beautifully. It spent many bumpy hours in the trunk of my 20 year old volvo surrounded by mic stands and crap like that. As long as it's shipping in its gig bag, yours will be just fine!
SG Standard / Telecaster / Cyclone
Fender '65 Princeton Reverb RI
MXR - M102 / M103 / M169

Orange Hero

Post by 0000 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:25 am

If you're buying a brand new amp... you most certainly should NOT have to replace the tubes as soon as you get it, just because it was handled in the mail.

As with any piece of music equipment, it must be maintained. Problems and issues arise as more time passes, however most are probably user error and not a case of manufacture defect. Of course you're going to read online more about the problems people have had, then all the people it works flawlessly for. You see a dozen of complains online, but that's out of probably 10's of thousands of amps sold worldwide that are still working perfect.

Don't worry so much pal.
-Electrical Guitar Company "Buzzo" Double-Cut, Solid Aluminum, Gold Anodized.
-Gronlund Newcomb Custom aluminum hollow-body guitar.
-Matchless Phoenix 35 w/ Matchless 4x10 Cabinet

DrHalprinstein

Post by DrHalprinstein » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:54 am

Good stuff, thanks you guys.