New Orange Owner (TH100)

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

kennedydream

New Orange Owner (TH100)

Post by kennedydream » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:00 am

Hi folks

Hi everyone my name is Dave and this is my first post on the Forum.

I've been using a rack setup (Eleven Rack) for about a year now, but recently I've started to miss the sound of a good old valve amp. I wanted to spend about £1000 on a new or used amp so I began to look at all my options and pretty much had to decided to get an Orange TH30 combo, and an Orange 1x12 cab to go with it.

That was until I seen a TH100 head for sale on Gumtree. I contacted the seller and discovered he also had a 2x12 closed back cab as well. So I took the plunge.

The thing that impressed me straight away was the clean channel. It really is a thing of beauty with stacks of headroom, It really is one of the best clean channels I've heard. I've owned many amps over the years including a Mesa Lonestar, a Budda Superdrive 30, Two Rock Studio Pro, Marshall JVM, Marshall DSL 100, and the orange clean is up there as one of the best.

I havent had a chance to really crank the amp up yet so I can't really comment on the overdrive channel. I really need to get the amp into my bands rehearsal space so I can play at a decent volume, its going to be a few weeks until my next gig so I've got a bit of time to experiment.

I'm contemplating buying an attenuator to use with the amp so I can get the overdrive channel up to the sweet spot without blowing the roof of whatever venue I'm playing at.

Does anybody else on the forum have experience with the TH100?? Does anybody else use this amp with an attenuator?? Also how does the 35watt mode stack up for live playing. Is it possible to hit the sweet spot on the drive channel in 35watt mode without overpowering the band?? I play in a 5 piece cover band and play alot of weddings and corporate type events, so I don't need massive amounts of volume. However I do like to get the amp up to a decent volume so I can feel as well as hear what I'm playing.

I would be grateful if anyone could offer any advice on this.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: New Orange Owner (TH100)

Post by Jondog » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:43 am

Number of TH30 users here, I had one myself for a peice. TH100 users are few from what Ive seen here. Be good to hear your thoughts, especially with the experience you've had with other quality amps. Welcome!

richardfirebird
Tiny Terror

Post by richardfirebird » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:30 am

I have a TH100 too :)

"I killed a man 'cause he killed my goat
I put my hands around his throat
He tried to reason with the sky and the clouds
But it didn't matter, 'cause they can't hear a sound
It's just the curl of the burl"

kennedydream

Post by kennedydream » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:42 am

How do you find the amp in a live setting?? What settings do you use EQ wise and what power setting do you use??

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:01 am

Congratulation, nice head.
My live settings are: full power mode (100 W)
Dirty channel: Shape 11 o clock, Gain 2pm, Volume 1pm (but I have a volume pedal and only need the full power at some moments, and we have a healthy drummer.
Clean channel: Treble 11, Bass 2pm, Volume around 10 o clock

This amp react very well with a low guitar volume, this gives a great control on the overall volume with always a great tone.

Have fun!

Legend

Post by Legend » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:18 am

I owned the TH30 and bought the TH100 and its allot better for me. I play at home and its just fine they are both loud but I don't need anything to tame this beast. The loudness between the 2 amps is not that significant. I really like the headroom and bottom end in the TH100
Orange TH100
Mesa Dual Rec Multi Watt
Mesa Royal Atlantic
Mesa Cabs
Gibson Guitars
Taylor Guitars
Maxon OD 808

Ace.trouble

Post by Ace.trouble » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:07 pm

Great amp choice I'd say! I played the TH30 a few days ago in a music store and instantly fell in love with its dirty channel! I had tried a Peavey 6534+, Marshall JVM, EVH III and Laney Ironheart as well, but surprisingly felt that they were no competition in terms of balls-to-the-wall high-gain sound.

However, I might go for the TH100, though, just to play it safe for clean headroom.

I was surprised how well the single shape control EQ works. I really liked the slightly scooped tone I could dial in with the shape knob set at around 1-2 o'clock.
I was thinking of buying a MXR KFK 1 Kerry King 10-Band Equalizer with the amp, so I can turn it into a pseudo-3-channel amp and dial the mids back in for a sustainy lead sound when needed.

Regards
Josh

jesperbc
Orange Hero

Post by jesperbc » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:21 am

Also a new TH100 owner, I run mine at around the same settings as Hubaxe. Love the fullness of the clean channel and the flexibility of the shape knob on the dirty channel. Running mine at 50w, though, since we don't have a healthy drummer :lol: .
Gear: Orange Rocker 30 head, Orange TH100 head, Orange PPC212OB cab, pedals galore, Fender MIJ 52 RI Tele w. BKP Blackguard Flat '52s, Fender MIA Standard Strat w. Fender CS Fat '50s, ESP LTD MH-1000 w. BKP (AlNiCo) Nailbomb/VHII.

Ricked Wicky

Post by Ricked Wicky » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:26 am

Hi guys, also my first post to the Orange forum, and my first real experience with Orange amps, other than fetishing them over the years and being very aware of what they are, being a huge 60s/70s English rock fan and long time pro musician that plays that kind of stuff on a nightly basis. I just thought I'd chime in and tell my Orange story, which is really only a few days old.

I made the decision to pull the trigger and get an Orange head last week. I'm going to be touring extensively with Robert Pollard (Guided By Voices) and wanted that definitive English tone to go along with, or maybe even replace, my '74 MusicMan 212HD 130. The MusicMan does cleans better than anything I've ever had, including a Black Face Twin. I've been on this forum all week, along with reading every review and comment I could find on the TH30, and whether it had enough clean headroom to fill large stages when playing with a band.

First let me say, I've been dealing with Dave Snow at Sweetwater, and the guy couldn't be more helpful and knowledgeable, and got me unbelievable pricing. We finalized my cart on Friday at 2pm Eastern time, and it was at my door Saturday morning before I could shake off my hangover from the previous nights gigs and get to the door!

Now, the amp...gawd do I love it. I love love LOVE it. BUT...even after reading multiple posts about how awesome the clean channel is, and how it is plenty loud before breakup...it's not. There's nothing wrong with the tubes, nothing wrong with the amp at all. There's just no way it comes close to a Fender Twin or my MusicMan for loud, crystal clear headroom. I should have known better, and went with the TH100, which amazingly is only about $300 more than the Th30.

So, I'll report back, probably by Tuesday knowing Sweetwater's amazing service, and let anyone who's curious know how big the difference is. I'm confident it's going to be more than enough. I'm also springing for a Crush Pro 4x12 cab. I have a Marshall 4x12 cab, but after seeing that beautiful head sitting on top of a Marshall cab, I just have to spend the extra $500 or so and get a matching cab. Yes, I know the Crush cabs aren't the "real ones", but I really, really don't understand what the difference is in the "real" cabs that makes them more than twice the price.

I'm as giddy as a little kid being in the Orange family now, and Bob and I have a ton of recording work to do this year in advance of getting out on the road in 2016, so the TH100 is going to be all over the upcoming Robert Pollard solo album and any future Ricked Wicky releases. I'm really stoked. I've never spent this kind of money on an amp, never had a half stack in my life (I just acquired the Marshall 4x12 cab). I'm a life long Strat/Twin guy, and it's been really, really fun. Can't wait to mike it up on Tuesday and track with it. I'm going to be tracking tonight with the TH30 as well.

All hail Prince Of Orange! (XTC reference there for you fellow Anglophiles)

Full report henceforth,
Nick

http://www.rickedwicky.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.youtube.com/nickmitchellmusic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.skepcat.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.facebook.com/skepticalcats" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bensnake
Orange Master

Post by Bensnake » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:58 pm

What's wrong with this thread? Spam?
RV100 MKIII | '75 OR120 | OR100 | OR50 | CS50 | R30H | TT
2 x PPC412
Bax B. | Amp D.

Marshall 1959 HW + 1936V
Fender '65 Super Reverb Reissue
Vox AC30C2X + V212C

Playing Les Pauls and Teles...

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:23 pm

Bensnake wrote:What's wrong with this thread? Spam?
I think the combination of new member and revived thread triggered an automatic flag.

Welcome to the forum Ricked Wicky, err, Nick - glad you love your amp!

Ricked Wicky

Post by Ricked Wicky » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:33 pm

Yea, I thought about the old thread after I saw the date of the last listing, and just started a new topic with it. Great to be a part of the forum and a new Orange owner. Sweetwater just sent me the return label, I should have the TH100 and the Crush 4x12 cab in a couple of days. I'll let you all know about the headroom difference!