Best alternative to Schaller strap locks

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

ECWeagles
Orange Master

Best alternative to Schaller strap locks

Post by ECWeagles » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:48 pm

Have used Schallers on a couple of guitars but became increasingly nervous about where the tension was being stored
In that mechanism and the fact that the pressure point is a long way from the guitar and thus I worry that
It's puttin too much tension on the pin screw.

So I have not used any strap locks for a couple of years by yesterday had a very near miss when strap came loose mid song. Thankfully I had a good hold on the neck!

So, what are the best alternatives to Schallers? I know about the simple grolsh stopper. Has anyone used the planet lock straps for example?

Cheers!
Jeremy

Many guitars, many pedals.

"God is most glorified in us, when we are most satisfied in him." John Piper

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Re: Best alternative to Schaller strap locks

Post by a.hun » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:15 pm

I have had no problems with the Schallers on my Marleaux Nyelectric solid, but it is a fairly light guitar.

Alternatives I use are either the Grolsch option or those inexpensive round plastic ones I've been able to find in many guitar shops over the years. Disc like with a sleeve you rotate 180 degrees to lock over the pin. Never had any problems with these either and they require no special fitting.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:49 pm

I use Fender strap locks. No issues yet, love them. The strap sits where they normally would on the button and the whole lock portion goes around the button. I have Ernie ball ones that are similar, but I don't like them as much as the strap sits out further as you mentioned, and the lock portion is smaller diameter and locks inside the button.

Woodsie
Orange Expert

Post by Woodsie » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:50 pm

I have a few pairs of these. They work great and have a cool vintage look. The pressure is as close to the body as you can get. The drawback is that they're nit good for quickly removing the strap for whatever reason. The strap does come off, just takes a few seconds longer. Also, the tether stays on the guitar, making it difficult to put the guitar in a tight fitting case.
==================================================================

mmsb13
Orange Hero

Post by mmsb13 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:27 pm

I like these. Easy on / off.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--DNP7007SI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
40th Anniversary OR50H & PPC412-LTD
Rickenbacker 370/6 VP JG & 370/12 VP FG
and other gear. . .

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:40 pm

mmsb13 wrote:I like these. Easy on / off.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--DNP7007SI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's what she said! :D
...are they pretty secure then?

Woodsie wrote:Image

I have a few pairs of these. They work great and have a cool vintage look. The pressure is as close to the body as you can get. The drawback is that they're nit good for quickly removing the strap for whatever reason. The strap does come off, just takes a few seconds longer. Also, the tether stays on the guitar, making it difficult to put the guitar in a tight fitting case.
I like the look of these! Nice idea.
Paul.

Invin
Orange Hero

Post by Invin » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:14 pm

I use these as well. I once had one pop off (strap didn't fall off, just the disc came apart) during a show where I was being a bit silly, but other than that I've never had any issue in 7+ years of using them on all my guitars.
TH 30
Eminence Wizard & Governor 2x12
ESP Eclipse II JB/'59, Charvel San Dimas Style 2 JB/'59
Tomkat Bender, TU-2, Crybaby Mini, Palisades, Xotic RC, Euphoria, MVP, Sentry, Blue Sky, Grand Orbiter V2, Timeline, Alter Ego, Dispatch Master, Ditto X2

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:16 pm

Same sort of thing I was talking about, except those ones are more triangular.

Do the job fine! 8)

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:58 pm

a.hun wrote:
Same sort of thing I was talking about, except those ones are more triangular.

Do the job fine! 8)

Andy.
I just ordered a couple of sets of them... last of the big spenders! :lol:
Paul.

RickenBangler
Orange Hero

Post by RickenBangler » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:27 pm

ECWeagles wrote:Have used Schallers on a couple of guitars but ...
...but have they ever let you down? Schallers are the first thing on any guitar I buy - used them for as long as I can remember with zero problems. One small thing is that they use quite a slender screw - so the hole left by the original strap buttons can sometimes be too large - easily remedied though...

As long as they are correctly fitted - all bolts nice and tight (loctite is your friend) - and the 'shoe' oriented so the button sits in it correctly when in use - you should have no worries.

Love 'em.
CR60C+PPC112 Mini Stack
Rickenbacker 620/6 JetGlo | G&L Fallout | Fender P-Bass
MarkBass Micromark 801
Past Orange Relationships Micro Crush | Crush CR35LDX | Tiny Terror | OR15/PPC112

The Provocateurs Bandcamp

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:00 am

I use the safest thing I could possibly come up with:

You get a washer that fits over the thin part of the strap button, but will not fit over the larger part. I've seen strap locks fail. The washer method will not fail. It does require you to keep the strap on the guitar at all times, but i've always done that anyways.

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

Eddie Famine
Orange Hero

Post by Eddie Famine » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:54 am

fiveightandten wrote:I use the safest thing I could possibly come up with:

You get a washer that fits over the thin part of the strap button, but will not fit over the larger part. I've seen strap locks fail. The washer method will not fail. It does require you to keep the strap on the guitar at all times, but i've always done that anyways.

-Nick
Exact same thing here. 50 cents at Home Depot.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:20 am

I use the Dunlops myself... cheap in bulk over at Stewart-MacDonald.

I find that anyone I know who has used the Strap Locks has had the screw strip over time. Probably from the increased angle...

Woodsie
Orange Expert

Post by Woodsie » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:38 pm

fiveightandten wrote:I use the safest thing I could possibly come up with:

-Nick
I used to do this when I was younger. Definitely the most fail safe method. I never had to fit the guitar in a case back then. It would never work now.
==================================================================

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:59 pm

Mine is even simplier. The fact is I never remove the strap, so, I unscrew the strap pin, make a small hole in the strap, and screw the strap with the strap pin.