I hate Craigslist!!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Woodsie
Orange Expert

I hate Craigslist!!

Post by Woodsie » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:59 pm

I've been trying to sell some pedals, speakers and a Triple Rectifier. I suppose it's my own fault for being too lazy to ship. I've had a few successful transactions for pedals and a couple of speakers. the rest has been a nightmare. full of people lowballing and rediculous offers. then, when there is an offer i'm genuinely interested in, no, excited about, he re-negs a few hours before the transaction. Wed night, 11:45, my phone rings, waking both my wife and I up. it's a New York number. I live in MA. I didnt answer it because i didn't know the number. they left a message so my wife, who is thoroughly annoyed by now, urges me to check it. it was some dude inquiring about a pedal i had. i called him back the next afternoon and left him a message but asked him to please call back before 10pm. he calls back around 8 and says he was just checking to see if i still had the pedal but he won't be ready to buy anything for another month. he said he still has two other things he needs to buy first. I'm like WTF! people are nuts. anther guy texts me asking if i'll match an ended Ebay auction. its for a similar amp but without the foot switch and it needs tubes. guess what, i have the foot switch and it doesn't need tubes. i get an email yesterday from a guy asking if i still had the Triple Rec. i replied back "Hi ****, yes i do." this was yesterday afternoon, still nothing back. 6:45 am this morning, i get a text asking if the Triple Rec was still for sale. i reply "yes, it is". he comes back with, I'm ok with the price and condition. unfortunately, because of the nature of my work, i cannot come inspect it in person. send me your paypal info and i'll send you the money. then i'll have my "courier" come pick it up. courier being the alarming word. the last person i've ever heard of using a courier got shot in the face by a Navy Seal. Ugh! i'm so fed up. sorry for the long rant. anyone want a Triple Rectifier? BB Preamp? Green Rhino? Vintage 30? G12H30 70th?
==================================================================

OrangeJuicer
Orange Hero

Re: I hate Craigslist!!

Post by OrangeJuicer » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:35 pm

Ouuuhhh....people can be strange sometimes. God really has a big zoo... :wink:

I once tried to sell four used but ok car tires by using the small add's. They had a good tire pattern and the brand was Goodyear, so no chinese crap. I kept the price very low because I wasnt in dire need for the money and I want to sell them quick to get some free space in the basement but dont ask me what called me... :roll: :roll:

a lot of people were interested, called me late night, asked if I could reserve the tires unti mid next month because they had to buy some other things, some asked what about "half price and some gas money" because he had to travel 200kilometers.... :?: .... One seriously soundig guy came..and brought his three Vitali Klitschko lookalikes with him..."Ok, 5 Euro...for all Tires"... "No... " Garagedoor closed, turned my back to them and straigth back into the house.. gladly they did not tackle me from behind... :wink:

Finally I was totally fed up with it and traded it to some of my neighbours for a barbecue invitation. They dont have big money and were very grateful to get these tires for their car. I guess it was a good deal at last.

But, inserting something in the small adds odr craiglist can be strange sometimes.
I dont know what the people think. I am a private person, I do not run a shop, I have a job and some more commitments. I would surely not call someone after midnight "Hey...tires...wanna buy...available ?? have only half of money....whazzup...hey...talk to me..hello...tires..." so what do people think ?

Oh lord... :roll:
"In the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty"

Eddie Famine
Orange Hero

Post by Eddie Famine » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:06 pm

My wife tried to GIVE some old kids toys away on CL, GIVE away. People made appointments to come get it, never showed. Other people asked if we could delver or ship! We finally took it to Goodwill.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:32 pm

I sell on Kijiji here in Canada. I never leave my phone number. Just e-mails only. I get the occasional low-baller, I just reply no. Frustrating, but part of selling something yourself I guess. I don't hold anything for anyone either. If they say they can't come for 5 days, I say thats fine. But if someone comes along in that time frame I'll sell it and just reply back to them that it's gone. That paypal/courier thing is a scam. All they need for paypal is your e-mail address, no other info. I've done paypal and shipping before, but I need to see the money in my account first, and I take it to the post office, no one else "picks it up", they also have to pay me shipping too.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:15 pm

Sounds like you are putting your phone number in your posts?! I would strongly advise against that.

I can usually tell if someone is a dipstick from their first email contact, and usually won't give out my phone number until they are ready to leave to come to my place. I've sold a TON of items on Craigslist and never had a bad experience so far.

Hold off your info until they are ready to come to your house. If they ask your address give a general area until they've committed to coming over. This has always worked for me. I'm also not afraid to be a d*ck in emails anymore. It usually deters lowballers and degenerates immediately if you tell them they are moronic chumps who can take their crappy comments and offers somewhere else.

:)

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:21 pm

Haha. Annoying, huh?

Try selling a car on The Craig. *That* is an experience. :lol:

I put a set of 4 reasonably worn but good condition tires up there recently for $20. Yes, $20. I just wanted them gone. I had people throwing offers of $5 at me over text message. No matter what you price something at, people want it for 75% less.

I sold a car this past fall. It was listed on cars, autotrader, and the Craig. You could tell immediately if someone saw it on the Craig when they called on it. Completely different demographic from the people browsing the other sites.

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

OrangeJuicer
Orange Hero

Post by OrangeJuicer » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:15 pm

Haha....
I wanted $27,20 for my tires (approx. 20 Euro). Almost the same story.

You got it right: No matter how low you set the price, there are tons of people who want it for less or even for free...

But the story with the toys for free is really unbeliveable... :roll: :roll:
"In the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty"

Woodsie
Orange Expert

Post by Woodsie » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:05 pm

I sold a motorcycle a few years ago. No problem. I've also sold 4 or 5 pedals this time around with no issue even. I think you're right about not having my number in the add. I'm removing that right away.

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:53 am

baytamusic wrote:Sounds like you are putting your phone number in your posts?! I would strongly advise against that.

I can usually tell if someone is a dipstick from their first email contact, and usually won't give out my phone number until they are ready to leave to come to my place. I've sold a TON of items on Craigslist and never had a bad experience so far.

Hold off your info until they are ready to come to your house. If they ask your address give a general area until they've committed to coming over. This has always worked for me. I'm also not afraid to be a d*ck in emails anymore. It usually deters lowballers and degenerates immediately if you tell them they are moronic chumps who can take their crappy comments and offers somewhere else.

:)
This is basically how I operate. I also post for 25% (give or take) more money than I want so I can counter all the lameasses that offer half price.

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:44 am

indianDYsummer wrote:This is basically how I operate. I also post for 25% (give or take) more money than I want so I can counter all the lameasses that offer half price.
+1
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

Woodsie
Orange Expert

Post by Woodsie » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:55 am

I just heard back from the guy that emailed a couple of days ago. He asked if I'd take $750 when I'm asking a grand. I've already already come down to $1000. Any lower, I'd rather keep it.

Iceman63

Post by Iceman63 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:33 pm

Woodsie, that's a typical CL scam. They all say basically the same thing...."I'm out of town, will have courier pick up, etc". I've been trying to sell some things locally as to avoid shipping and ebay taking money from me, and yes, I get a lot of ridiculous low balling and asking about trades...this even after I have made it clear in my ads; No trades, No low-balling and No scams.

Woodsie
Orange Expert

Post by Woodsie » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:18 pm

I got an offer this morning for a trade. It's a Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue. I'm not gonna lie, I do want one of these. The value doesn't match up though and, honestly, I need the money more right now.

ScottyDanger
Orange Hero

Post by ScottyDanger » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:28 pm

Woodsie wrote:I got an offer this morning for a trade. It's a Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue. I'm not gonna lie, I do want one of these. The value doesn't match up though and, honestly, I need the money more right now.
Yeah, there's about $3-400 value difference, depending on condition. Depending on how much cash you need, if they guy could make up some of that difference then I'd give that serious consideration!
SG Standard / Telecaster / Cyclone
Fender '65 Princeton Reverb RI
MXR - M102 / M103 / M169