New Gear Day (unfortunately no Orange content...)

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

OrangeJuicer
Orange Hero

New Gear Day (unfortunately no Orange content...)

Post by OrangeJuicer » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:16 pm

Hi !

I was on the market for some used Rocker 30 Combo but after Orange discontinued the Rocker, the used-prices are ridiciulously high and the the the other Combos in the Orange portfolio are not my cup of tea (Rockerverb 50 = dont need 50 watts, to expensive, AD30 = to big, Thunder 30 = not my taste, TT Combo = to small.....). At least, I found this one:

5 year old Peavey Classic 30 for less than half of the price of a brand new one.
This combo was gigged for a few years but has only a few slightly marks in the tolex and one or two in the chassis. The only big scratch is on the Classic 30 logo.

I cleaned it and today I retubed the pre- and poweramp section and now it plays like a charm !!!

Two of the pots are a bit scratchy in some positions but I'll keep it as it is at the moment. My tech is just 5 minutes away.

The other gear I grabbed are three fantastic pedals from "Dr. No Effects" from the Netherlands.

(from left to right)

Dr. No "More Gary" = fat soundig overdrive. Makes small amps huge (says the builder on his homepage) but it is true. Like it wiht my FGN Strat trough my Fender DRRI. Tames a bit the jingely-jangely of the Fender. A bit to bassy with the neck pu of a les paul. This is my "to go" jam-setup.

Dr. No "Drive-O-Matic" = marshallesque overdrive, crunchy and dirty and extreme dynamic. Like it with all my guitars in the Peaves drive channel for an extra boost.

Dr. No "Kafuzz" = Fat sounding Fuzz with less mids but huge bottom-end. Cuts through the mix extremely well. Together wity a Les Paul and the tone rolled a bit back the "Kafuzz" up to 3 o'clock = sustain for days. Like the Drive-O-Matic, it goes extremely well with the Peaveys drive channel.

The pedals are really expensive at the first look but in the end, they are great. Superb quality and even more superb sounding (for my taste....)
Last edited by OrangeJuicer on Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"In the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty"

Gray
Orange Expert

Re: New Gear Day (unfortunately no Orange content...)

Post by Gray » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:35 pm

Those pictures are larger than the surface of the sun.

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:53 pm

Gray wrote:Those pictures are larger than the surface of the sun.
:lol: They take up 4 screen widths on my lap top. I can't even read that post.

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:51 am

I'm running Firefox browser and it auto scales it down on my laptop, thank goodness :D

Edit: Well it was.. until I signed back into the old forum format...
Paul.

OrangeJuicer
Orange Hero

Post by OrangeJuicer » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:46 am

Ouups...will fix it when I am at home :wink:

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:20 am

It is even nearly 3 full screen widths on my big monitor. 5+Meg and 'a couple' too many pixels! :lol:

But anyway happy NAD.

The PV. Classic 30 is a great sounding amp. I'll junk mine before I sell it. Nice cleans (a little darker than a Fender, but ball park as nice), great sounding reverb, and a nice versatile drive channel. I learned a lot about getting great electric guitar sounds with mine, and I still love it.

Have you discovered the really handy trick with the boost button yet? Mentioned it here:
http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.php?t=2139" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NB Some of my other comments there will probably ony apply to the original version I have. Yours with the wavy front design is of course a redesign. I'm not sure how radical but I have the idea that they tried to up reliability without changing the sound. Hopefully so anyway.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

OrangeJuicer
Orange Hero

Post by OrangeJuicer » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:20 pm

Hi !

I hope the size of the pics is now better (I had no problems with the pic size as Google Chrome scaled it down to my screen....??!).

I never used the boost switch, because it makes the sound more mid-rangey... dont like it.

At the moment, I play with my HSS FGN Strat into the drive channel. Gain set for crunch, with the guitars volume pot I change between (almost) clean and crunch and kick in the "Drive-O-Matic" for some extra boost & grit or even the "Kafuzz" for some lead tones with rich sustain.
Clean channel and the "More Gary" with the Strat or the ES-335 is also a nice otion :)

Also, the amp was gigged for some time, the speaker is wonderfully broken in. Not as fizzy as the one in the brand new Classic 30 I played in the shop

I put in a TungSol 12AX7 as V1 which cleans up the sound and puts some shine and sparkle to it without beeing harsh. Love it..

The only drawback is the slight hum which increases when you turn the reverb up but you hear it only when youve stopped playing and everything around you is dead silent.

Anyway, I like it a lot... ;)

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:39 pm

OrangeJuicer wrote:I never used the boost switch, because it makes the sound more mid-rangey... dont like it.
Aha. Going to have to try to change your mind on that OJ! :wink:

It isn't as simple as that. In fact I wondered at first exactly what the boost switch was doing. It certainly isn't just a normal preset boost, and certainly not just a midrange boost either. As I discovered by really messing about with the amp it is something way more interesting and way more useful than that. :D If you just ignore it you'll be missing (some of) the amps best sounds!

The effect you get when switching it in is like having - for every different EQ setting - a whole new set of additional tones which you can easily dial in with just one control - the treble. What effect the 'boost' has depends strongly on where the tone controls are set at the time and most specifically on the treble control.

Think on it this way. Some amps (like many old Fenders, some Marshalls) sound best when everything is opened up, right? I'm not so much talking volume / gain here but the tone controls. Any standard passive tone controls are cut only, meaning that using tone controls at anything less than full on will always lose you some signal, gain, and basically tone too. And on this amp like many Fenders with all EQ's set on 0 you'll get virtually no signal through, so the tone controls are effectively both tone and gain controls. Only when everything is at ten will you get the maximum signal through, effectively opening the amp up to give its full natural tone.

This is exactly how the (footswitchable) 'boost' switch on the old Custom Shop AD50 / Retro 50 and the much better named 'EQ Lift' on the new Custom Shop 50 works. It take the EQ fully out of circuit to increase gain (well, decrease gain losses!) and give you the amps full open tone. How much extra gain you then get depends on how much you were losing by using partial EQ settings. If you had the EQ's set with quite a lot of cut then the jump in gain and volume will be dramatic. If they were already nearly open than the jump will be much smaller.

Some amps don't sound great fully open of course, it depends on the circuitry and voicing. But others do, and IMO the C.30 is definitely one of them. Except that, unlike on the CS Oranges, on the C.30 it isn't just an all or nothing switch. You can control it perfectly with just one rotary control, the treble control. Which handily enough sits right next to the boost switch! :D

What the boost control on the C.30 effectively does is to give you more gain (less tone control network gain losses!) the higher you set the treble control. With the treble control on minimum you'll get just a slight gain increase. (Though the sound will be way more open than normal treble on 0!) As you increase the treble setting the gain will increase, and the effect of the other two tone controls will decrease. Wind it up to full and the bass and mid controls have (virtually) no effect any more - they seem to be basically out of circuit. So wherever you have those two set if you max the treble you'll always get the amps full on straight through sound (for whatever volume / gain settings you have set anyway). And of course by backing it off gradually you'll head nice and progressively back towards wherever you have EQ'd the amp..

So yeah, what I discovered is that these two controls - boost and treble - go hand in hand. I think it is a great design feature, and effectively it gives you not two but four channels as it works equally well on both channels. (The clean channel full open is well addictive.) Should it have been footswitchable? Not really - you'd still need to tweak the treble on the amp itself. I find it no hardship at all to tweak both on the amp, especially since the only two controls you need to touch are right next to each other. It really is a quick and effective way to radically (and repeatably) change the amps sound. And since you are only twiddling the treble you can just as easily go back to exactly where you were before.

So go on, hit that boost and max the treble - see what your new amp can REALLY do! And play around with it on a couple of your favourite EQ settings - you'll get a whole host of new sounds too. Just make sure you don't have the amps volume too high at first or you might get a real shock. Sweet wee amp, but that boost switch is it's secret weapon. Enjoy! :D

Andy.

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

OrangeJuicer
Orange Hero

Post by OrangeJuicer » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:09 pm

Thanks Andy ;)

I have the amp only for a week so I am just fiddling around the EQ and I will play with the EQ + Boost engaged the next days ;)

Thnx !

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:43 pm

8) !

I think you'll enjoy yourself... :D

Andy.