Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

jamison162
Orange Master

Re: AD30TC 2x12 combo, in depth review

Post by jamison162 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:52 pm

Bensen wrote:
jamison162 wrote:...
(1) Are the clean and edge of breakup tones on the AD30HTC "sweeter" than the 6V6 RV50?
(2) Is the gain on the AD30 more open, less aggressive, more "vintage" sounding if you will than the RV50?
(3) Does the AD30 "take" pedals better than the RV50?...
(1)yes (2)yes (3)no
Thanks for the input Bensen. So what makes you say no to #3?

In my 6 yrs of experience with the RV50, running pedals into the clean channel - the problem, at least the way I hear it, is the cleans are somewhat harsh/sterile to begin with (and I've rolled all kinds of tubes/speakers). Also there's just way too much clean headroom for me on that channel. Dirt pedals don't meld with the preamp section too well, you get all the clipping from the pedal itself (diode, jfet, led) which make most pedals sound really fake and harsh.

If the AD30 has less clean headroom and has a sweeter clean tone (i.e. yes to #'s 1 & 2)....I can't imagine how any given pedal wouldn't sound better through the AD30 than the RV50 (all things else being equal).

I plan on picking up an AD30 soon and will just have to a/b them for myself. Will try to remember to report back, maybe even post some clips comparing the two heads.

jamison162
Orange Master

Post by jamison162 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:58 pm

Well, I've had an AD30HTC at home to demo for the past 30 days and....it's going back. The RV50 is still king for my tonal needs. I guess I'm not al EL84 kind of guy, those "PM" branded chinese tubes sound awful to me. The AD30HTC was a fizzy, awful sounding mess to my ears. And harsh.

Makes me scratch my head....to be so high on an amp like the RV50 only to dislike an amp whose specs seem brilliant on paper, AD30HTC that is. Honestly, I played an AD30 in '07 and almost bought one instead of the RV50....and I say the AD30 sounds nothing like what I recall, nor does it sound like the demo that ADE Em. posted a few yrs back. Love the tone he gets but something has changed with these amps (tube, components, etc.)???? And for what the AD30 retails for....just not worth that kind of money IMO.

Oh well, I still have my RV50.....the older it gets the better it sounds. Maybe there's some magic going on....maybe that's why "vintage" amps always sound better.

StratusX
Rocker

Post by StratusX » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:43 pm

Huh. I always thought Ade's demo was a pretty accurate demonstration of the amp, and more so Andy from PGS's demo (but he can make ANYTHING sound good).

Different strokes I suppose.
Hi, my name is Ian.
1973 Gibson SG
2009 Gibson Melody Maker
2011 Gibson Midtown Standard
2006 Schecter Hellraiser
Orange Micro Terror
Orange PPC108 X 2
Orange AD30HTC
Orange PPC212

Dark Helmet
Orange Master

Post by Dark Helmet » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:16 am

nice review... a few things I disagree with, but not much.

I will note that your amp would sound better if it was beat up more...

I need to get some recent pics of my EVEN MORE BEAT TO DEATH AD30TC....
Dark Lord of the Schwartz
AD15/12
AD30TC
AD50
AD140
Thunderverb50

2016 Gibson LP Standard
2012 Gibson LP Classic Custom
2017 Gibson Firebird Studio T
Epi Les Paul (used to be) Standard
2018 Taylor 616CE

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:13 am

jamison162 wrote:Well, I've had an AD30HTC at home to demo for the past 30 days and....it's going back. The RV50 is still king for my tonal needs. I guess I'm not al EL84 kind of guy, those "PM" branded chinese tubes sound awful to me. The AD30HTC was a fizzy, awful sounding mess to my ears. And harsh.

Makes me scratch my head....to be so high on an amp like the RV50 only to dislike an amp whose specs seem brilliant on paper, AD30HTC that is. Honestly, I played an AD30 in '07 and almost bought one instead of the RV50....and I say the AD30 sounds nothing like what I recall, nor does it sound like the demo that ADE Em. posted a few yrs back. Love the tone he gets but something has changed with these amps (tube, components, etc.)???? And for what the AD30 retails for....just not worth that kind of money IMO.

Oh well, I still have my RV50.....the older it gets the better it sounds. Maybe there's some magic going on....maybe that's why "vintage" amps always sound better.
Maybe you could throw in some decent tubes Pre Amp tubes that you may have lying around to see if that makes any difference

Have you have the Amp wound up to 11 - 12 O'Clock ? With the a volume below 10 O'Clock the Amp does sound fizzy its only at higher volumes than you get the best tone certainly not fizzy or harsh sounding. I also think this Amp suits humbuckers (a Les Paul) best.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

jamison162
Orange Master

Post by jamison162 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:31 am

StratusX wrote:Huh. I always thought Ade's demo was a pretty accurate demonstration of the amp, and more so Andy from PGS's demo (but he can make ANYTHING sound good).

Different strokes I suppose.
I like those demo's - that's why I decided to give the AD30 another shot since first playing one in 2006. But it didn't sound nowhere near as good in person to me this time, way too fizzy for my taste. I agree though, cranking the MV really helps. But I don't have these issues with my RV50, it just sounds more natural all the way around to me. Love the 6V6's.