OR100H and Custom 50 vid from NAMM

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Duppy03
Rocker

OR100H and Custom 50 vid from NAMM

Post by Duppy03 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:38 pm

No sound clips (yet) unfortunately but nice to see them in motion... kind of.

The pre amp of the OR100 is based on the circuit of the OR15 with 4 stages of gain, don't know if that's good or bad as I was initially hoping it would sound like the OR50. I'm guessing the clean channel is the same circuit as the TH100. Is that good?

I was initially really keen to plug in and they the OR100H and didn't pay much mind to news about the Custom 50, bust finding out more about it on this vid has got me intrigued. It looks like one sweet amp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY6Tv6td ... jv0JrQdvbA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Orange Dual Terror
Marshall Superbass
Laney Supergroup 60
Fender Silverface Pro Reverb
Marshall 1960A cab with G12-65's

http://www.the13club.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://the13club.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

msmith4432
Orange Master

Re: OR100H and Custom 50 vid from NAMM

Post by msmith4432 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:10 pm

Hmm, so really tells us nothing. Not sure the custom 50 really offers anything new. Seems like a or50 that switches to 30 watts and cost probably $1,000 more. The OR100 looks somewhat intriguing but the more I see it I just think its going to fall short for me personally. Would love to see another 2 channel 30 or 50 watt that has a dedicated clean channel and fx loop. I love my Or50 but would like a dedicated clean channel and a loop. Maybe the Rverb could fit that bill for me but not sure. Then again it sounds like the OR100 will be much like a rockerverb if it has 4 gain stages like the or15.

Where are the other 3 new amps?
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc
Mesa Boogie wide body 1x12
Gibson Les Paul custom black beauty(maple Fretboard)
Gibson Les Paul custom 58 vos
Gibson les Paul custom 57 vos

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:14 pm

Duppy03 wrote:No sound clips (yet) unfortunately but nice to see them in motion... kind of.

The pre amp of the OR100 is based on the circuit of the OR15 with 4 stages of gain, don't know if that's good or bad as I was initially hoping it would sound like the OR50. I'm guessing the clean channel is the same circuit as the TH100. Is that good?

I was initially really keen to plug in and they the OR100H and didn't pay much mind to news about the Custom 50, bust finding out more about it on this vid has got me intrigued. It looks like one sweet amp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY6Tv6td ... jv0JrQdvbA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Can they not base an new OR off a classic OR?

Duppy03
Rocker

Post by Duppy03 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:15 pm

Here's another one that tells us even less:

http://youtu.be/Ja9zr1yClwg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I too am a bit disappointed the OR isn't based on the tone of the original OR's.

So when do we get to actually hear them?
Orange Dual Terror
Marshall Superbass
Laney Supergroup 60
Fender Silverface Pro Reverb
Marshall 1960A cab with G12-65's

http://www.the13club.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://the13club.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:59 pm

Duppy03 wrote:Here's another one that tells us even less:

http://youtu.be/Ja9zr1yClwg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I too am a bit disappointed the OR isn't based on the tone of the original OR's.

So when do we get to actually hear them?
From what Ade says on there its just these two amps for this show but sounds like they will be available very soon from the other vid comments.
Maybe they are waiting closer to the release dates this year before making any more announcements :D
Paul.

hitgar
Orange Hero

Post by hitgar » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:12 pm

I'm sure hes as giddy as a school girl on the inside but Ade always sounds like hes annoyed to be there or like he doesn't care about anything. Where's the excitement Ade!

Anyway, I know that it isn't a popular opinion here (obviously) but I wanted a 2 channel OR15 with a footswitchable boost. I wish it was a 30/15/7 watter because I would just be using it in the studio, but I know that a lot of people on here have said that they like the sound of the OR15 but can't get gigging volume out of it (especially cleans). Looks like they listened.

I also understand the love for the vintage stuff and would like to see that as well. I don't understand the OR50 Custom. Same amp with a presence control? It seems like they are trying to sell the same amp for a third time in around 5 yrs.

everdrone
Orange Expert

Post by everdrone » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:17 pm

I hope soundclips solve the mystery of why the OR100H is called an OR if it is really a rockerverb design that just looks different? looking forward to clips
My solo downtuned HEAVY rock project: https://soundcloud.com/earthalliance

Guitarist and Bassist in Fort Worth, TEXAS

dreamdistortion
Tiny Terror

Post by dreamdistortion » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:42 pm

Ade did not compare the Custom 50 to the OR50, as folks on the board are doing (though it's understandable given that controls are the same). He said that it's basically a Retro 50 with presence and HF drive. The Retro was designed to sound like a Pix Only, so the vintage flavor is there. It is a bit of a let down, however, considering the range of possibilities. I too would love to see a hardwired reissue of an actual vintage design. Anything from an OR120 or 80 to a GRO or early Matamp design would be possible, barring any copyright issues. What's really disappointing is the demise of the Baxandall tone stack and FAC. Those features made Orange amps truly unique. Not implementing them into at least one new design seems like a missed opportunity.

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:43 pm

hitgar wrote:I'm sure hes as giddy as a school girl on the inside but Ade always sounds like hes annoyed to be there or like he doesn't care about anything. Where's the excitement Ade!

Anyway, I know that it isn't a popular opinion here (obviously) but I wanted a 2 channel OR15 with a footswitchable boost. I wish it was a 30/15/7 watter because I would just be using it in the studio, but I know that a lot of people on here have said that they like the sound of the OR15 but can't get gigging volume out of it (especially cleans). Looks like they listened.

I also understand the love for the vintage stuff and would like to see that as well. I don't understand the OR50 Custom. Same amp with a presence control? It seems like they are trying to sell the same amp for a third time in around 5 yrs.

I agree that these two offerings basically are disappointing. I too like the OR15 but it is basically not gig worthy due to 0 clean headroom. I actually have used it several times in small gigs but it really just does not work very well and I probably won't anymore. That being said if the amp the or100 is suppose to be the solution to that it seems they went from one extreme to the other, they went to a 100 watt monster. I just always tend to shy away from 100 watts. I'm with you would love to have seen a 2 channel or at 30 watts switchable don to 15/7 and just set up the second channel to be very clean.
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc

dreamdistortion
Tiny Terror

Post by dreamdistortion » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:47 pm

Orange also seems to be going astray from it's philosophy of simple designs, in an effort to make Swiss Army Knife amps like the OR100H. A certain market will segment will always demand feature-packed gizmo amplification, but appeasing that demographic puts the essence of Orange at stake, IMO.

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:00 pm

Does anyone understand how the gain boost works.. Didn't really pick up how that is used?
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc

hitgar
Orange Hero

Post by hitgar » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:31 pm

msmith4432 wrote:Does anyone understand how the gain boost works.. Didn't really pick up how that is used?
Not sure. Almost seems like he said a gain boost and a global 3db boost. 2 boosts maybe? Maybe a gain boost only on the preamp of the dirty channel and a 3db boost added to the power section that works for both channels.

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:44 pm

hitgar wrote:
msmith4432 wrote:Does anyone understand how the gain boost works.. Didn't really pick up how that is used?
Not sure. Almost seems like he said a gain boost and a global 3db boost. 2 boosts maybe? Maybe a gain boost only on the preamp of the dirty channel and a 3db boost added to the power section that works for both channels.
Glad I'm not the only one, man don't want to be negative but that amp seems like a big mess to me. 100 watt then half power then another switch on the back to take that to half, then a dirty channel with 4 stages like the OR15 or maybe like the rockerverb and a a boost with an additional Global boost and the clean channel of a th100. :lol:
Seems like a strange new amp.

Then the custom shop amp really isn't new. I'm big time bummed. I guess that's what I get for thinking something was going to come out that would solve my issues. Looks like it just isn't going to happen. Oh well. I'll live
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:50 pm

msmith4432 wrote:
hitgar wrote:
Glad I'm not the only one, man don't want to be negative but that amp seems like a big mess to me. 100 watt then half power then another switch on the back to take that to half, then a dirty channel with 4 stages like the OR15 or maybe like the rockerverb and a a boost with an additional Global boost and the clean channel of a th100. :lol:
Seems like a strange new amp.

Then the custom shop amp really isn't new. I'm big time bummed. I guess that's what I get for thinking something was going to come out that would solve my issues. Looks like it just isn't going to happen. Oh well. I'll live
At least wait until you've heard them :lol:
I think Orange have scored a bit of an own goal though with this valve tester... Not with the tester itself but with claiming it to be a worlds first etc...

Anyway I'm going to let my ears decide...I'm pretty convinced the Custom 50 will be awesome though.
Paul.

dreamdistortion
Tiny Terror

Post by dreamdistortion » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:22 pm

I'm sure the Custom 50 will sound amazing. If the HF drive defeats the master volume like on the OR50, that would be a huge plus. I consistently run my Retro 50 with the volume cranked. You can hear and feel the master "engage" at about 12 o'clock and start adding clarity, punch and thickness to the sound as you increase it. It's a beautiful thing, and I'd be really curious about how the amp would sound if that effect was magnified.