Country music?...... On an Orange?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Country music?...... On an Orange?

Post by Thinline_slim » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:40 pm

That's pretty much what's going through my head right now but in a humorous way. I play in a cover band (for the most part) and we're changing up our strategy for this year. Effectively we're dedicating 7-10 song sets in different genres. So we will have a country music set, blues-ish set, classic rock set, old R&B set, etc and our clients can check out the sets on our website and pretty much pick what they want to hear.

So tonight we're working on our country set. It will sound a little interesting with the TT BUT, and I'm guessing not many on here are avid country listeners, some of the more modern country has some seriously heavy guitar tones. Case in point Save A Horse, Ride a Cowboy. When I was practicing at home I had to turn my Orange gain UP! :lol:

It will be interesting.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: Country music?...... On an Orange?

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:47 pm

Eh, eh...!!!

But yeah, most Oranges above 15w would pull that off very well. You know have a need for a RV50... ;)
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:33 pm

I think my OR50 will be good to go although I usually set it up with a light/mid OD as a base. I'll have to play around with the foot switch master vol maybe and just ride the guitar volume.

The last thing I need to do is start thinking that I should get my hands on an RV50 though... It's all about willpower. :P
Jake
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:22 am

i'm thinking OR+pedals would get the job done. Tiny Terror actually would sound good, if only it was louder/had more headroom. i think it's got a great voicing for that sorta thing.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

Woodsie
Orange Expert

Post by Woodsie » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:11 am

I play in a cover band too. We also recognize that, as a cover band, it's more about what people want to hear and less about what we want to play. We've also been playing around with Save a Horse..... You're right, some nice heavy guitar in it. Sounds great on my RV50 MKII. It's a great female audience participation song too. I
==================================================================

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:06 am

R.30 can certainly do country style sounds no problem. (Whether you'd want to is purely up to personal taste. Perhaps 'lack of' in my case - sorry, not a big country fan here. :roll:)

It is always good to do new things though, and I do like mixing genres, the more unlikely the more fun! Good luck with the set lists! 8)

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

kmlabs
Orange Expert

Post by kmlabs » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:25 pm

I love to surprise people with covers bands - either with a rocked up cover of a song they're not expecting to hear or mixing things up. In the last covers band I was in, we did "Killing in the Gay Bar" - it was almost impossible for me to play without a huge grin on my face :D
Kerry

Too much gain is... just about enough

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:47 pm

kmlabs wrote:I love to surprise people with covers bands - either with a rocked up cover of a song they're not expecting to hear or mixing things up. In the last covers band I was in, we did "Killing in the Gay Bar" - it was almost impossible for me to play without a huge grin on my face :D

Eh ,eh, eh...

One of my friend would do a Enrique Iglesias cover, change the lyrics too, it became "shave my balls tonight" - and he'd tape up a massive print of Shave My Balls to the back of his axe, ad would hold it up at opportune times to make sure the crowd would get it..... :lol:

I believe that's the song he would sing in suspenders......... :shock: He doesn't take himself too seriously!!!! :lol:
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Nork
Orange Master

Post by Nork » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:03 am

A buddy of mine plays in a country band (called the "Working Class") with a tele and an R30 and loves it.
--Nick

Parker Nitefly SA -> TC PolyTune -> OLER Box ->Timmy -> MP SHOD -> Eventide TimeFactor/e3 -> Orange TT -> Avatar 112 (Weber 1225)

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:18 am

Nork wrote:A buddy of mine plays in a country band (called the "Working Class") with a tele and an R30 and loves it.
There you go! 8)

Andy.

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:44 pm

a.hun wrote:R.30 can certainly do country style sounds no problem.
Nork wrote:A buddy of mine plays in a country band (called the "Working Class") with a tele and an R30 and loves it.
I could definitely hear that. Decent clean channel and a solid OD channel. Makes sense.
Jake
"One of the 400"

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:02 am

A Nork sighting :) ! How have you been?

I don't think I'd be able to play a regular single-coil Tele through anything brighter than an Orange, so I would either use a darker guitar or stick with an Orange if I played Country. It's about time for Thunderverbs to take over Country Music if you ask me 8) !

BillKat

Post by BillKat » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:04 pm

I play a bit of country. Don't tell anyone :) . My Tele does really cuts with the AD15, easy to tame though.
Here's a clip-ette mucking about with my Gretsch doing a clean twang thang - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59dLhQ0rI_s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Spaceboy1
Orange Hero

Post by Spaceboy1 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:40 pm

Blackberry Smoke plays Orange... country/rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB3qwtVL5NM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:22 am

Spaceboy1 wrote:Blackberry Smoke plays Orange... country/rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB3qwtVL5NM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good sounds.

Some serious sideburns too! :!:

Andy.