We Just Got Told to Change Our Band Name!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

myboss57
Orange Master

We Just Got Told to Change Our Band Name!

Post by myboss57 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:20 pm

I'm in a new band, basically similar to my old band FIRES (new drummer, slightly faster and more aggressive sound), we call ourselves Night Moves.

We just got a Facebook message from the mananger of "Domino Records Artist, NIGHT MOVES" that they have trademarked that name etc etc and that we have to change our name. We "may use the name for our upcoming gig, but must change if after that". Oh, well thank you sir! :roll:

So I find this amusing for a couple reasons:

1) our band has a facebook page, it's a new band, only one show so far, and maybe 4 "likes" on our page. That is the whole of our Internet Presence, oh and a couple Youtube videos (viewed maybe 20 times, mostly by us and a couple friends), poorly recorded, of the one show.

2) the facts of number 1 lead me to believe that this band, management, or possibly someone associated with them scours the internet for other bands using the name "Night Moves". Which is a silly waste of time if you ask me.

3) it's a silly band name, and they trademarked it. They trademarked....a....Bob....Seger.....song title. :roll:

I get it, you don't want another band using your name, no big whoop. I just find it amusing!!
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: We Just Got Told to Change Our Band Name!

Post by Jondog » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:21 pm

Change it to Domino Night Moves

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:30 pm

okay. change your name to "F$#@ Domino Records". that one seems pretty easy.

seems sketchy to me. if you're not profiting from their name (hell, i doubt they're even profiting from their name) you're in no way breaking Copyright/TM laws. i can make a batch of Tortilla chips and call them Tostitos so long as i don't sell them on the public market. it's probably one of these little britches record companies who have no clue what the hell they're doing, hiring artists that have no draw, no talent, and no future.

i'd ask them to see the paperwork. they could be calling your bluff.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:33 pm

:lol:
We've definitely been talking about fun variations on NIGHT MOVES and all that!

And the response my bassist sent them was "Thank you for your interest in Night Moves!" Which I think is perfect. We thought about using the name NLGHT MOVES, so when it's written in lowercase, the "L" becomse what looks like an "i".

And really, yes, so long as we are not profiting off the band and whatnot, really not much they can do I don't think. That's a good idea to ask to see documentation behind it, if anything just to give them more work on their end! :lol:
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

Dunky
Orange Expert

Post by Dunky » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:06 pm

What about suggesting you change to Knight Moves, tell them you are reforming in a Man o war style

Should wind them up a bit :D

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:08 pm

It's happened to some friends of mine. Their band has been established for longer than the UK band that contacted them. Some kind of agreement was met where if either band tours either other continent they have to use "USA" or "UK" at the end.

Change it to Knight Moves. Cooler anyways. :)

Dunky
Orange Expert

Post by Dunky » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:37 pm

baytamusic wrote:It's happened to some friends of mine. Their band has been established for longer than the UK band that contacted them. Some kind of agreement was met where if either band tours either other continent they have to use "USA" or "UK" at the end.

Change it to Knight Moves. Cooler anyways. :)

I don't even want any commission, when you get an endorsement from orange though you could send the odd amp my way..... Just saying!

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:56 am

I'd change it to "Night Rider" personally. Otherwise, ditch the name altogether and go with something classy like "Donkey Show".

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:32 am

Suede had the same problem whenever they were in the USA... they had to use "the London Suede".

Sounds like a pile of arse to me... much of the sensible advice above seems about right.

Check their documentation and if it's kosher perhaps have a bit of a dialogue about keeping the name if you want to, but adding (Baltimore) after it if you play live etc. At the moment, it sounds like your 4 facebook likes are unlikely to get you mixed up.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:52 pm

You could say you're changing the i in night to a 1
That might wind them up :)
Or better still the o to a zero in moves :wink:
Last edited by OrangePaul on Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul.

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:26 pm

Dunky wrote:What about suggesting you change to Knight Moves, tell them you are reforming in a Man o war style

Should wind them up a bit :D

Sorry! I started a band called Knight Moves about 2 minutes ago. It's a solo project, and I play with myself.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:13 pm

My two cents: find a better name.

Band naming is a big issue especially if someone has product out and can prove that they have prior legit use. It gets very tricky...

There was a Boston band called The Dream - they had had some minimal success with a decent fanbase, but one of the major network soap operas wanted to have a recurring band in a dream sequence called The Dream but couldn't because of the Boston band. So they contacted them and sold them their name for like $30,000. The band then called themselves X-Dream which became Extreme, and that $30K paid for some good studio demo time...

There are other examples of the UK vs USA name issue besides London Suede - several bands have had to put UK at the end of their name to be able to sell or play in the USA. Charlatans UK leaps to mind...

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:18 pm

Comsat Angels, a band from my neck of the woods had to change their name in the States.
They were threatend by the Communications Satellite Corporation of all people in the US so went by the name of C.S. Angels over there.
Paul.

Powerslave
Tiny Terror

Post by Powerslave » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:50 pm

Ask them if your singer / guitarist can get in touch with them to chat politely about the matter, and that his name is Bob Seger.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:18 pm

Powerslave wrote:Ask them if your singer / guitarist can get in touch with them to chat politely about the matter, and that his name is Bob Seger.
:lol:

Better yet, change your name to "Pete Seeger and the Sliver Bullet Band".

Seriously though, "Sliver Bullet" would be an awesome band name and I will gladly donate it to you :wink: .