Guitar Head through 15" Cab

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Y0UNGBL00D
Orange Master

Re: Guitar Head through 15" Cab

Post by Y0UNGBL00D » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:58 pm

HenningSB wrote:Im playing my Thunderverb 50 through a 2x15 Sunn cab, sounds amazing!
played my TV50 through an old Acoustic cab with 2x EV SRO15s in it. was awesome indeed.
Thunderverb 50,
modded SG, pedals, shiner bock.

jessethompson56

Post by jessethompson56 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:17 am

For those who have played the micro terror, how does the output volume compare to other Orange amps? I currently have the CR25BX.

Every time I have popped in to my local music store they have been out of these amps. It seems they are selling pretty well.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:31 am

jessethompson56 wrote:For those who have played the micro terror, how does the output volume compare to other Orange amps? I currently have the CR25BX.

Every time I have popped in to my local music store they have been out of these amps. It seems they are selling pretty well.
I've played it, but not cranked. At 20 watts solid state, I guess it'd be in the range of the Tiny Terror.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:19 am

Jondog wrote:
jessethompson56 wrote:For those who have played the micro terror, how does the output volume compare to other Orange amps? I currently have the CR25BX.

I've played it, but not cranked. At 20 watts solid state, I guess it'd be in the range of the Tiny Terror.
I'd guess a bit less. Clean it might be fairly close, but from lightly overdriven sounds on upwards in terms of perceived volume a 15W valve amp will almost always leave a 20W s.s. amp standing. Clean apart valve amps just sound louder and can typically compete with double (often rather more) the solid state wattage. Yes watt are watts, but the way that valve and solid state amps put out their watts are usually pretty different, especially in terms of the frequency response of the harmonic distortion with overdrive.
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showpo ... stcount=14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Of course some s.s. amps are better than others...
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showpo ... stcount=23" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm not anti solid state BTW - far from it! :wink:

Hard to compare the volume of a 20W guitar amp (through a different speaker) to a 25W bass combo though. Sorry - can't really help you there jessethompson56.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:17 pm

I have a 1970's Musicman HD130 which is 130 watts into one 15" JBL speaker...it sounds massive.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:32 pm

Wendigo wrote:I have a 1970's Musicman HD130 which is 130 watts into one 15" JBL speaker...it sounds massive.
Fantastic amps! 8)

Really distinctive gritty tones. And an all solid state preamp just to show it can be done. My kind of hybrid amp.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!