check this out

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Re: check this out

Post by a.hun » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:53 am

Randy Bass wrote:It's hard to come up with a new bass design that's original without being ridiculous. I think it's a good effort. It could use a bit less "Bassanus" though.
Well quite. Still I know the make and they are top notch instruments, just lovely. Whatever people think of the looks of that one I'll bet it is a lovely bass to play.

Still planning to grab a Marleaux bass at some point, probably just a fretless version of the basic 'Consat Straight'. Been my dream bass for some years now - I should just go for it really. I love the reddish brown Dibetou wood of the second one pictured on that page - would match my Marleaux Nyelectric 6 string guitar perfectly. (Long discontinued solid body nylon string model, and my very favourite guitar of all.)

So do people prefer the looks of the Consat, or is it just 'fugly' too? (Feel free to be honest! :wink:)

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:57 pm

a.hun wrote:
Randy Bass wrote:It's hard to come up with a new bass design that's original without being ridiculous. I think it's a good effort. It could use a bit less "Bassanus" though.
Well quite. Still I know the make and they are top notch instruments, just lovely. Whatever people think of the looks of that one I'll bet it is a lovely bass to play.

Still planning to grab a Marleaux bass at some point, probably just a fretless version of the basic 'Consat Straight'. Been my dream bass for some years now - I should just go for it really. I love the reddish brown Dibetou wood of the second one pictured on that page - would match my Marleaux Nyelectric 6 string guitar perfectly. (Long discontinued solid body nylon string model, and my very favourite guitar of all.)

So do people prefer the looks of the Consat, or is it just 'fugly' too? (Feel free to be honest! :wink:)

Andy.
Dude I was seriously not trying to offend...it was the color really that I was commenting on. I dont' have a lot to say, having salivated over and bought this git-box way back when:

Actually, I have to say I would give my left nut to have that thing again....so nostalgically cheesy '80s.... :mrgreen:

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Hey, no worries - I'm not that sold on that Votan model at the best of times myself to be honest. (Jazz gone wrong.) And the only basses I've seen which look remotely good in that colour (IMO) are by Music Man.

Seriously though, what do you reckon about the Consat? Fugly or not? In the hand they are sooo slinky, but I'm sure not everyone would get on with the looks.

That Ibanez looks like a BCR after a crash diet. Guess I can see the point, but def a case of 'careful with that axe Eugene'! :)

Andy.

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:57 pm

a.hun wrote:Hey, no worries - I'm not that sold on that Votan model at the best of times myself to be honest. (Jazz gone wrong.) And the only basses I've seen which look remotely good in that colour (IMO) are by Music Man.

Seriously though, what do you reckon about the Consat? Fugly or not? In the hand they are sooo slinky, but I'm sure not everyone would get on with the looks.

That Ibanez looks like a BCR after a crash diet. Guess I can see the point, but def a case of 'careful with that axe Eugene'! :)

Andy.
Well see now, I find that Consat to be utterly gorgeous...especially in the yellow with black pickguard. Looks awfully pricey though. Is there a 4 string version? That's the one I'd personally go for.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:14 am

The Consat Straight is probably the best-looking "modern" bass design I've seen. I do still prefer the look of the classic '51 P-Bass over just about anything else, though it's far from comfortable to play.

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:42 am

a.hun wrote:

Andy.

It reminds me of the Warwick basses from the 80's

Its interesting how we think of 80's style as looking more dated now than the old 50's Fender, Gibson designs lol.
Paul.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:45 am

Yeah they do 4 stringers. The pic OrangePaul posted is basically exactly what I'd be after, except sans frets and with a body matching cap on the headstock to match my Nyelectric guitar still better.

Warwicks are fantastic basses too, but I don't love the looks quite as much. They'd definitely be my =2nd choice though, along with the bonkers MM Bongo which I love too. But yeah, compared to Warwicks the Consat just has a couple of extra curves in the right places to fondle and worship. MMmmmm...

Randy you're not wrong. The 51 P still looks brand new IMO! I love my MIJ one in Butterscotch blonde - it is one of the best sounding (and resonating) basses I've played. Yeah it feels a bit of a lump compared to my other MIJ P (neck and uncontoured body both), but the vibe and sound are both bang on.

I quite liked the hybrid P Fender came up with for the 60th anniversary Ptoo, but as usual Leo got it dead right first time.

Andy.

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:27 pm

Did you ever play one of these Andy?

Music man Stingray Fretless

I was loaned one to try but it was the first fretless I'd ever tried and didn't want to take the plunge on spending that much at the time in case I didn't get the hang of fretless playing. It had a great sound though and the vibration of the notes against the fingerboard were blissfull 8)
Paul.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:15 am

Funnily enough no, but I'd love to. Did play a M.M. Sabre fretless though. Wish I'd been richer at the time!

Andy.