which of these pickups are suited well for a LP thru a RV?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Woodsie
Orange Expert

which of these pickups are suited well for a LP thru a RV?

Post by Woodsie » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:42 am

In prior thread, i was talking about buying some BKPs but funds seem to have dried up. so, i want to go with something i already have. i've been running a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge of my Les Paul. Recently, I was told that, while it's a great pickup, it's not really suited for a warm guitar like LP and more so for a brighter guitar. Now, already playing through an Orange, I would really prefer something that's going to be a bit brighter. I have the Gibson 57+ PAF that was in it prior to the SD and the Gibson Burstbucker 3 that came stock in it. Which of these 3 do you think would be a good match? I know i can just break out the soldering iron and hear for myself but, i value opinions too. thanks.
==================================================================

funky_wrench
Tiny Terror

Re: which of these pickups are suited well for a LP thru a R

Post by funky_wrench » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:29 am

I disagree completely on the description of the JB. I think they are well suited to a Les Paul personally. They have a prominent high-mid spike which makes them sound rather bright IME.

GummiTZ
Tiny Terror

Post by GummiTZ » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:27 am

I agree with funky_wrench on this one.

JB is much more trebly than the PAFs IMO. I had a les paul with JB in it and hated it, way too spiky in the high mids for my preference (stoner-stuff), but for fast and tight modern metal stuff it is perfect!

Woodsie
Orange Expert

Post by Woodsie » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:25 am

Interesting. Thanks guys.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:50 am

JB = :D :D :D
http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/show ... -Jeff-Beck" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you listen to the man you'll know he isn't particularly into dull muddy sludge. It deserves to be in there - hell yeah, an LP deserves that bit of edge IMO! (Why I like soapbars so much!)

Also try cutting the bass on your amp just a shade. (And increasing the gain / volume / both, also just a shade, to compensate.) That should brighten things up. Just like Rome there are different ways to get there. :D

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:24 pm

Tis really isn't useful to you at all because you would have to have your guitar completely reworked but I have a gibson les paul deluxe with the minimums and when I don't want the full humbucker I love the sound it has through orange amps.. It's certainly more focused and brighter than the full humbucker.
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc
Mesa Boogie wide body 1x12
Gibson Les Paul custom black beauty(maple Fretboard)
Gibson Les Paul custom 58 vos
Gibson les Paul custom 57 vos

Woodsie
Orange Expert

Post by Woodsie » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:51 pm

msmith4432 wrote:Tis really isn't useful to you at all because you would have to have your guitar completely reworked but I have a gibson les paul deluxe with the minimums and when I don't want the full humbucker I love the sound it has through orange amps.. It's certainly more focused and brighter than the full humbucker.
I really want something with P90's. Either a Junior or a special. Single cut or double cut. I actually really like the looks of the AXL USA Bulldog too.

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:18 pm

Woodsie wrote:
msmith4432 wrote:Tis really isn't useful to you at all because you would have to have your guitar completely reworked but I have a gibson les paul deluxe with the minimums and when I don't want the full humbucker I love the sound it has through orange amps.. It's certainly more focused and brighter than the full humbucker.
I really want something with P90's. Either a Junior or a special. Single cut or double cut. I actually really like the looks of the AXL USA Bulldog too.
Gotcha, yeah I have an LP with p90s as well, they sound great with orange amps. I personally overall prefer the mini hum but p90s are great
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:06 pm

a.hun wrote:JB = :D :D :D
JB=Jeff-Beck
Andy.
I hadn't realised this but yes you're absolutely right Andy, from Seymour Duncan himself...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgBhfsJhk-8

And the song he is referring to is this..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IriEq4H1XSU

Which I had always thought was played on his Les Paul :?

I have some kind of SD in my old Ibanez and it certainly brightend things up when i put that in there. Great pickup though!
Paul.

Woodsie
Orange Expert

Post by Woodsie » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:25 pm

msmith4432 wrote:
Woodsie wrote:
Gotcha, yeah I have an LP with p90s as well, they sound great with orange amps. I personally overall prefer the mini hum but p90s are great
Mini Hums are something I've never even considered. Just never even occurred to me. Thanks for the heads up.

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:39 pm

If it was me Woodsie I'd switch back to the Classic 57+ which if you've not tried with the Rockerverb yet would be a crime not to try IMHO. Lower output than the JB I'm guessing but might suit the RV well.
Paul.

handyandy
Tiny Terror

Post by handyandy » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:17 pm

I agree with the 57 classics, lower the height a bit, the RV has tons of gain so you can get away with it easily. I've had BKP Mule's, the 57's are every bit as good! SD pearly gates would be worth a try, I've had them to but the 57's are the best in my book. I think you'll notice a bigger difference by keeping them low instead of spending money on new pickups.

Woodsie
Orange Expert

Post by Woodsie » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:45 pm

I think I might try the 57's just for kicks. Easy swap and might be worth it. I out the JB in it when I was playing through the AD. I needed all the output I could get. Buying new pickups, at this point, is out of the question. My wife and I agreed that our resolution this year is to get out of debt. Considering I just bought the RV and PPC 412, I think I can admit I have all I need to get by for awhile.

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:08 pm

Woodsie wrote:I think I might try the 57's just for kicks. Easy swap and might be worth it. I out the JB in it when I was playing through the AD. I needed all the output I could get. Buying new pickups, at this point, is out of the question. My wife and I agreed that our resolution this year is to get out of debt. Considering I just bought the RV and PPC 412, I think I can admit I have all I need to get by for awhile.

I have an LP with those as well, the 68 reissue. They are very nice as stated before lower output and very smooth and musical.
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc