dark terror, welcome home

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Motorhead1978

dark terror, welcome home

Post by Motorhead1978 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:15 am

i finally knuckled down and bought a dark terror today. pretty awesome. it sounds similar to the b channel on my TV50 but is definitely is voiced different. it seems ALMOST like the shape knob is more sensitive to adjustment but it could be me just making that up, i dunno. overall pretty glad i bought it. i'm gonna try it at practice this weekend with the 4x12 and see if it can keep up

hitgar
Orange Hero

Re: dark terror, welcome home

Post by hitgar » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:58 pm

Congrats! Pics please.

Let us know how it works out with the band. I was thinking of getting one to run a stereo rig with my OR15 but everyone kept saying that it was fizzy, is that true? I wasn't going to dime the gain though and would probably keep it close to 11 or 12 o'clock or just use it for some darker cleans for recording.

edit. not really a stereo rig but more like a second channel for my rig.

Stringjunkie
Tiny Terror

Post by Stringjunkie » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:27 pm

You can get fizz if you want it, but you can dial it out also. I keep my gain around 1o'clock. Replacing the V1 JJ tube with a Tung Sol improved it greatly.

Motorhead1978

Post by Motorhead1978 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:19 am

wow, with it ran into a orange 4x12 and the volume dimed out it did pretty good. i have been playing with this amp quite a bit over the past few days and i'm pretty surprised how versatile it can be if you are patient enough to tweak it. while i don't see myself selling the TV 50, i do see this thing getting quite a bit of my time in the near future. I kinda always doubted these terror amps would even be worth playing in a band setting i am surprised how loud it got and how good it sounded. it don't hit nearly as hard as the TV 50 but it's a pretty close second.