TH100/30 owners brace yourselves!!!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Re: TH100/30 owners brace yourselves!!!

Post by a.hun » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:06 am

Lightningeckel wrote:I bought this TH30 after reviewing all the info on the internet, no where did I find any sound clips from the different power settings 30w 15w 7.5w. After a few days of checking it out I noticed the tubes all stay on even when its set to 2 tubes, someone said it was because the power is run off the transformer, so I pulled all the power tubes except 1 and it still ran.!! amazing" but to be honest I cant tell the difference between the 30w and the 15w or 7.5w..they all sound the same. so do I have a bad Transformer? anyone else notice this?
Really don't do that. You are totally changing the effective output impedance of the amp and may destroy the output transformer. Then it really would be bad!

The fact that all the valves still light up in 2 valve mode only means the low voltage heaters are still getting their supply. That doesn't mean that the valves are still getting their high voltage working supplies though - you can't normally see that!

Halving the power doesn't half the volume. To half the volume you need to drop the power to 1/10th!
As already said the differences between the 3 modes will be most obvious at higher volumes, but still won't be that dramatic. Even 7.5W is pretty loud.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

scottlynn73

Post by scottlynn73 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:59 pm

hey fellas, TH100 owner here too.

I love it! I use it in my doomy instrumental band and its awesome for that style of music, the dirt channel has so much girth to it :)

I made this video months ago, good to see some folks on you tube digging the amp!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgHRgyuRYE0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blood of the Mother is my dark and doomy psych band.

I use:
Thunderverb 200
Simms Watts 412 (Hot 100s, Swamp Thangs)
OB1-500
Hoffnine 215 (Delta 300s)
Yamaha SG1000
Yamaha Lord Player

richardfirebird
Tiny Terror

Post by richardfirebird » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:40 pm

scottlynn73 wrote:hey fellas, TH100 owner here too.

I love it! I use it in my doomy instrumental band and its awesome for that style of music, the dirt channel has so much girth to it :)

I made this video months ago, good to see some folks on you tube digging the amp!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgHRgyuRYE0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I bought mine because of your video!!! Thanks man!

"I killed a man 'cause he killed my goat
I put my hands around his throat
He tried to reason with the sky and the clouds
But it didn't matter, 'cause they can't hear a sound
It's just the curl of the burl"

astrozombie76

Post by astrozombie76 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:28 pm

richardfirebird wrote:

After watching that video, I think that I am sold too! I may trade my AD30 in on a TH100! That amp sound badass. So how is the build quality of it? I worry with it being a PRC made amp but it probably doesnt matterthat much.

richardfirebird
Tiny Terror

Post by richardfirebird » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:05 am

astrozombie76 wrote:
richardfirebird wrote:

After watching that video, I think that I am sold too! I may trade my AD30 in on a TH100! That amp sound badass. So how is the build quality of it? I worry with it being a PRC made amp but it probably doesnt matterthat much.

It really doesnt matter, i openned mine and the quality it's all there great amps!

richardfirebird
Tiny Terror

Post by richardfirebird » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:06 am

astrozombie76 wrote:
richardfirebird wrote:

It really doesnt matter, i openned mine and the quality it's all there great amps!

astrozombie76

Post by astrozombie76 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:22 am

[quote="It really doesnt matter, i openned mine and the quality it's all there great amps![/quote]

Well thats good to hear. I don't exactly have an Orange dealer right down the street from me so I gotta use a lot of word of mouth, reviews, and youtube samples to make my decisions. I've had mixed emotions about amps not made in their country of origin since I bought a Vietnamese made MArshall amp and it turned out to be garbage. But I've had Chinese made Vox amps that were every bit as quality (at least build wise) as their British made brothern.

JBIRD

Post by JBIRD » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:43 am

I'm a n00b to the forum, so first off hello all! Just my 2 cents on this topic, I have the TH30 and RV50, I play the TH30 more than the RV. I didn't even know it was made in China until after I had it for a while and moved my cabs/amps around I saw it on the back. I didn't do much research on it at the time, I just liked the way it sounded in the store so bought it. Originally I thought it was made in the UK. I thought it was a Thunderverb w/out the reverb and a simple front panel. Knowing everything I know now and having played most of the "newer" Orange amps out there. I'd drop the money any day on this amp. I love it! When I put the 2 amps on top of each other, cosmetically they look identical, down to the shade of orange of the tolex.
~JBIRD~

jesperbc
Orange Hero

Post by jesperbc » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:31 am

I recently traded in my AD30 head for a TH100. The AD30 lacked both an FX loop (which I only realised later that I would miss) and a lot of thump. Add to that the relative low gain, the vintage sound and it's relatively bad handling of dirt pedals (of which I use a few - see my sig), that amp turned out to be a really poor choice for me.

Personally I like the clean channel on the TH100 much better than the AD30, it's fuller while still being clean. I don't particularly miss the mid EQ control. I had initially dismissed the TH30 combo I tried, because of the shape knob - it just seemed too gimmicky for me, but having tried it with a set of fresh ears, or shall we say a more willing set of ears, I was really amazed of how flexible it is. It goes from bluesy rock to über metal all in the twist of one knob, and I'm not really missing the EQ on this channel either, 'cause it just seems perfectly balanced.

I run it at on 2 output tubes, 50w, with the clean channel treble EQ at 1 o'clock, the bass at 11 and the volume at 9, while the dirty channel has the volume at 10 o'clock, shape at 11'ish (in rock territory) and the gain just below 2. I run a delay and a reverb in the FX loop, and while my Tube Screamer was used to push my AD30 to overdrive further, I now use it as a regular overdrive pedal. My fuzz pedal is thick and creamy and my Plextortion is sadly redundant, since the TH100 handles all the distortion I need in my sound. It all runs through an open-back 2x12" Orange cab with V30's. Of course, I'm still on the honeymoon with this head, so I'm completely on cloud #9 still.

Could any of you TH30/100 owner let me know how your amp appear to you after the honeymoon was over? :)
Gear: Orange Rocker 30 head, Orange TH100 head, Orange PPC212OB cab, pedals galore, Fender MIJ 52 RI Tele w. BKP Blackguard Flat '52s, Fender MIA Standard Strat w. Fender CS Fat '50s, ESP LTD MH-1000 w. BKP (AlNiCo) Nailbomb/VHII.

Joey3f

Post by Joey3f » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:11 am

I chose the TH30 over all of the other Orange heads in the shop (and the shop had everything).

I had the money to get anything in the range, but the TH30 (for me) just blew everything away!

Having said that, I seem to differ from most other guitarists in that although I love valve warmth, I demand a stable, almost HiFi quality (think holdsworth) in my sound. Everything else was too peaky for me. I found the OR50 (I played one of the limited editions ones) came closest to the TH30.

I'm definitely out of the honeymoon period now, and every time I use it, I get more attached to it.

I have to say, the demo videos orange use are awful - they don't even approximate the tones available. I use my TH30 for Jazz/blues/fusion. It ain't just a metal amp.

I always use the gain channel, with the gain on about 1 o'clock, and the "tone" control on about 9 o'clock. With a les paul. And no effects.

In fact, I think I'd just do my own demo and stick it up tonight/tomo. :D

Joey3f

Post by Joey3f » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:15 pm

True to my word!

http://youtu.be/26ehCXL1w0c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fitterhappier

Post by fitterhappier » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:40 am

Sounds great, man!! Great to see all the TH love as of late.

I too continue to become more and more attached to my TH30. It's such a versatile amp. I spend most of my time in the dirty channel, but I use all of the wattage modes, and constantly tinker with the gain/shape settings. I think currently I'm at 1:00 with the gain, 11:00 with the shape, and have the volume around 9:00 on the 30 watt mode.

Through my Emperor cabs, it sounds fantastic. I use my bridge pickup (SD Invader) the majority of the time, and the amp's responsiveness to rolling back the guitar's volume is just great. Sounds even better when boosted with an OD pedal as well!

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:19 pm

Looks like the TH30/100 is gaining more and more popularity. Sure if this amp would have a small "made in UK" sticker, will even have more lovers :wink:

Lawsam

Post by Lawsam » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:43 pm

I have the TH30 head and the Orange 2x12 cab. I love the sound of the amp. It is easy to use and seems very well built. I played it in a 200 seat room and a 1000 seat room. Great in either venue. I played the RV50 MKII but didn't like it as much as the TH30. I am going to switch to two 1x12 cabs rather than the 2x12 cab. Either way this is a great set-up.

fitterhappier

Post by fitterhappier » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:51 am

This is my TH30 mini-stack. LOVE it!