Capo Tip

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Jabberwocky
Orange Expert

Capo Tip

Post by Jabberwocky » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:15 pm

At every gig for years now I have dreaded the songs where I need to use a capo to hit the right key for the singer but keep the right chord inversions for the song. Every darn time I hooked on my Shubb capo, no matter how carefully, the tuning went that tiny bit out, not so an audience would really notice, but I certainly did and it drove me crazy.
Recently I decided I had had enough so I did some research and came across the 'G7th' brand of Capos. Price was a little steep but I have to say that little piece of innovative engineering has totally solved the problem.
Now whether playing acoustic or electric, tuning is spot on with capo.

Thought I would share that in case any of you guys are being similarly driven insane.......G7th....definitely worth the money!
Fender USA Standard Stratocaster
Gordon Smith Galaxy
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Faith Jupiter Jumbo Acoustic
Orange Rocker 30 HD
Orange Micro Terror
Orange PPC 212 OB
Lead
Plectrum
Attitude
Sorted!

msmith4432
Orange Master

Re: Capo Tip

Post by msmith4432 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:20 pm

Thanks, I have the same problem.
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc
Mesa Boogie wide body 1x12
Gibson Les Paul custom black beauty(maple Fretboard)
Gibson Les Paul custom 58 vos
Gibson les Paul custom 57 vos

ScottyDanger
Orange Hero

Post by ScottyDanger » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:28 pm

I'm a HUGE fan of the G7th Capo. I lost mine once (clipped it onto the rim of a kick drum, it was in plain sight for weeks but it managed to blend in so well I thought it was gone!) and it was the most horrible time having to use my backup kyser. The tuning isn't always totally perfect, but it's night and day compared to a dunlop or kyser.
SG Standard / Telecaster / Cyclone
Fender '65 Princeton Reverb RI
MXR - M102 / M103 / M169

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:56 pm

How do the G7th capos negate the strings going up in pitch?

I have 2 Shubb capos, and the tension is adjustable. Though, as with any capo, you have to clamp it down tight enough so the strings ring true. This, by default, will raise the pitch slightly.

We use capos on a handful of songs and plan our set so songs with the same capo positions are played back to back. We put the capos on, and retune. When they come off, we retune again. We swap guitars a few times too, so if you're smart about it, things are pretty seamless.

Can you explain what makes the G7th immune to this? I've used them before and didn't notice them being any different from any other capo. I actually found the mechanism to allow for a little less accuracy in the adjustment of how much tension you can put on the strings. Though they are very easy to use.

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:30 pm

I like the trigger from dunlop because it's variable based on sting tension and the thickness of the neck.

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:28 am

Jabberwocky

Suspect you've got the tension wrong on your Shubb or not enough safe tension on the G7... just based on the laws of physics - and irrespective of the clamping mechanism - you will have some tuning fun because of the basic job the capo does. No getting around it. Would be interested to do some tests...

Someone else I heard likes the G7 - I prefer the Shubb. Simple design, nothing to go wrong. Never had a problem with it.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:00 am

You guys don't intonate your guitar between songs live? :shock:

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:46 pm

I find with my Shubb you have to set it up extra tight to get the string at the open end of the capo to ring true. Maybe the G7th gets round this somehow?
Paul.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:21 pm

indianDYsummer wrote:You guys don't intonate your guitar between songs live? :shock:
You mean 'retune' or 'intonate'? Mostly intonation is part of a setup. :?

So probably not, no. Who takes their guitar tech on stage? :lol:

Capo Tip?

I hang my headphones from my Kyser. Ooh er, missus!

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Y0UNGBL00D
Orange Master

Post by Y0UNGBL00D » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:01 pm

he meant intonate, as a joke haha.

i liked the G7, iirc it can do partials to, though ive never had a desire for partials.

one day ill get one, but i never use capos these days. i always keep a shubb around just in case though.
Thunderverb 50,
modded SG, pedals, shiner bock.

Jabberwocky
Orange Expert

Post by Jabberwocky » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:40 pm

Guess we are all going to have our preferences around any piece of kit. I was just mentioning that I had found what I thought to be a solution to that annoying slight sharpening of the tuning, expecially on the lower strings, and thought some of you might appreciate the tip.

Just to clarify Joe, I have used Shubb for many years, and it is a great Capo, however, I generally will play three guitars at every gig: my Strat, either my Paul or my Gordon Smith, and my Faith jumbo, and on each I am likely to use a capo for at least one song. It is pretty much impossible to adjust the Shubb to fit all three guitars perfectly, and mid gig, the thirty seconds it would take to set it up right seems like a lifetime to an audience.

I could buy another two Shubbs, set them up and mark them I guess, but now I have a G7th I dont need to.
The G7th is tensioned by finger pressure, so one squeeze and it fits any guitar. With a few minutes practice, you can set the tension so the strings are ringing true, but not over tensioned so they go sharp. Its not perfection but its the best I have found to date, and allows me to Capo any of my three instruments in about three seconds flat, and go straight into the next number with a bit of confidence that my low E and A strings are not going to be slightly sharpened at whatever note they are capo'd at...
Fender USA Standard Stratocaster
Gordon Smith Galaxy
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Faith Jupiter Jumbo Acoustic
Orange Rocker 30 HD
Orange Micro Terror
Orange PPC 212 OB
Lead
Plectrum
Attitude
Sorted!

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:39 pm

G7 is fine if you don't play a vintage radius Fender 7.25". Then it won't fret the high and low E strings enough...

Shubb is the only company to make a vintage radius capo as far as I know... the best capo I ever used that did the minimum of affecting tuning was the Sabine, sadly no longer made. It worked by clamping the string directly on top of the fret - pushed the capo itself forward which took some getting used to, but negligible tuning change.

If I'm using a capo, I usually check tuning right after clamping it on or have a second guitar tuned up with capo on and switch.

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:13 am

Hey jabberwocky

That might be it then.

Personally, I wouldn't trust my fingers to get the tension right each time by squeezing, so the screw mech on the Shubb takes the guesswork out of it.

As it happens, I have one capo for each guitar that lives in the case with it. That's more to make sure I don't forget a capo when I need it though...!
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:11 am

Y0UNGBL00D wrote:he meant intonate, as a joke haha.
:D

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:22 pm

indianDYsummer wrote:
Y0UNGBL00D wrote:he meant intonate, as a joke haha.
:D
Oops, irony missed. Sorry about that! Ironic really... :oops:

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!