TV50

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

msmith4432
Orange Master

TV50

Post by msmith4432 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:20 pm

I'm considering selling my TV50, love the amp but my problem is not being able to find the right balance for a clean tone. Basically channel B is so dark I can't use it for anything when I get in a band setting it just sounds bad in the mix. Channel A gives me great crunch but then I have no clean. If I use channel A for clean it will work but then I really can't find a crunch tone with B because it is so dark. I don't really want to sell but I already have a great 1 channel amp in the OR50.

Is there anything I can do to make the b channel brighter?
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc
Mesa Boogie wide body 1x12
Gibson Les Paul custom black beauty(maple Fretboard)
Gibson Les Paul custom 58 vos
Gibson les Paul custom 57 vos

DiabloS
Orange Master

TV50

Post by DiabloS » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:34 pm

If you're not opposed to using a pedal to get you there, sure there's something you can do. Either an EQ pedal or a boost pedal with the gain set to zero so it doesn't dirty it up too much and adding just enough volume from the pedal to get you where you need. In your case if you only want cleans from that channel, I'd probably go with an EQ pedal though.

I can get my Channel B to sound almost exactly like my Channel A with a boost pedal, it can be a great channel but it just seems like they missed the mark on dialing it in with the shape knob. By default you're stuck with either a scooped sound when you get enough bass/treble, or when you get enough mids you're lacking treble. I was in the same boat as you except I was trying to use it as a lead channel and I'm 100% happy with it now, it's cutting enough but still retains the extra fatness that the channel seems to have. The MXR 10 band EQ is supposed to be good if you wanna go that route.
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

hitgar
Orange Hero

Re: TV50

Post by hitgar » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:26 pm

You can try setting a Tech 21 Blonde pedal clean and boosting the treble a bit. It is designed to give you that glassy fender tone on any amp. (as I have posted before) I set my OR15 dirty and use it to add a clean channel to the amp. If it can clean that up and make it sparkle I'm sure it could work for a clean channel that is just a little dark.

Hope this helps.
Let us know what you try.

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:33 pm

Thanks guys, I'll start researching those pedals and may give that a try. It sounds like that may solve the problem.
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc

Y0UNGBL00D
Orange Master

Post by Y0UNGBL00D » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:05 pm

i keep my B as clean, with shape just to scooped side of noon. i like that sound stock, but i have a 10-band eq in the loop if necessary (to suit the room, etc.)

i used to use B as gain and A as clean, and A makes a beautiful jangly clean if you want it to, and then you can EQ B to taste. either works.

for the record: i @!#$%*& love my TV50, what, 4 years strong now?
Thunderverb 50,
modded SG, pedals, shiner bock.

amesav
Tiny Terror

Post by amesav » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:52 pm

Thats exactly the reason i went to a rockerverb.Awesome clean and dirt channel straight out of the amp no pedals or effects needed
Orange Thunderverb 50
Orange Rockerverb 50 MK1
Gibson Les Paul Standard

Y0UNGBL00D
Orange Master

Post by Y0UNGBL00D » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:42 pm

i like the TV50's dirt moreso than i do the rockerverbs. just me.
Thunderverb 50,

Y0UNGBL00D
Orange Master

Post by Y0UNGBL00D » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:43 pm

i like the TV50's dirt moreso than i do the rockerverbs. just me.
Thunderverb 50,

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:58 pm

Y0UNGBL00D wrote:i like the TV50's dirt moreso than i do the rockerverbs. just me.
+1. No one amp is gonna do it for everyone, but it just doesn't get better than the TV50's channel A for me. I need a classic sounding heavy crunch and the TV50 delivers that in spades moreso than all of the other amps I've ever tried. I've liked every Orange amp I've tried though, even the ones I've sold, it just comes down to what fits you best for how you want to use it.
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:29 pm

this is my opinion of course, but personally:

If an amp cannot give me the core tone I want while plugging straight in with only my guitar, then it's not a keeper. Sure, I use some pedals for various reasons, but I've always gotten on with the core tone of any amp that I've used first, then added pedals later.

I usually go for clean boosts that don't color my tone much, because I already like the tone of the amp but need more gain, or lead breaks, etc. I have used eq's to brighten up channels before, like on the natrual channel of the rocker 30. I already liked the core tone of the natural channel, but it had a volume misbalance to the dirty channel, and was a bit dark. So, the eq equalized the volume discrepancy and sparkled it up a bit too....the mxr microamp also worked well to equalize the volume

Anyway, I'm not saying that a good pedal cannot transform your amp into something you love, but IMO I think you should already love your amp's core tone and just want to add some flavors to it. Maybe you like the core tone of the TV but just want it brighter, or maybe you're just having some difficulty cutting ties with it and making excuses to keep it. I've been there and done that many times.

If it were me, I'd 'borrow' some pedals from friends first, and I'd start with a good eq pedal and see how that works for you....still not happy as a pig in pile of poop? then sell it, you've got an OR50 anyway.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

amesav
Tiny Terror

Post by amesav » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:29 am

Spot on IRONLUNG !!! I agree 100 % with all of your post
Orange Thunderverb 50
Orange Rockerverb 50 MK1
Gibson Les Paul Standard

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:55 pm

Good advice Ironlung, I do like the tone of the TV, just need a brighter clean and I would prob prefer it to the OR50 even tho I like the OR overdrive/crunch a little better I like the 2 channel set up.( there evidently is no perfect amp I have been searching for 10 years now and have to conclude it does not exist.) so if it had a nice clean which for me is just a little brighter then it would be a no brainier to keep, another thing that makes it hard to part with is that it is such a great bedroom amp with the attenuater, it sounds better than the OR15 at low volumes.

Another adoption I'm considering is getting a ABY pedal and using or50 for crunch and the marshall JTM60 for clean. It has some of this nicest cleans I have ever heard from a marshall. My LP with humbuckers cleans up nice with the volume on the OR50 but I use my LP with p90s a lot and it just does not clean up as well for some reason.
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc