Orange cab caster install

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Orangesoda
Orange Hero

Orange cab caster install

Post by Orangesoda » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:38 pm

I have a PPC412 and I want to install these casters and do this to my cab -----> http://powerdragon-powerdragon.blogspot ... -with.html

I already ordered the casters so I want to have these casters on there for sure.There's 3 options. My question is:

1) Should I do the install exactly as it explains?

2) Should I instead not cut a piece of the skid and just turn the caster plate 90 degrees and install it that way if it fits?

3) Or would it be best to put the casters far out close to the sides of the cab but pushed up against the skid?

I am no expert and I know there are many lurking around these parts :)

Spaceboy1
Orange Hero

Re: Orange cab caster install

Post by Spaceboy1 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:15 pm

I don't really understand why he needed to saw the skids unless they were high enough to impede the swivel of the casters. In which, installing them vertically would change the situation either.

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:39 pm

if you are "no expert", i personally wouldn't risk. in all honesty, it's a better idea to get a road case with casters if that's what you desire. it's not like the PPC412 was very light to begin with...

something like this would suit you well:
http://www.roadcasesusa.com/
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

Orangesoda
Orange Hero

Post by Orangesoda » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:20 pm

jason41224 wrote:if you are "no expert", i personally wouldn't risk. in all honesty, it's a better idea to get a road case with casters if that's what you desire. it's not like the PPC412 was very light to begin with...

something like this would suit you well:
http://www.roadcasesusa.com/
Later on down the line I'll probably get a roadcase when more gigs come up. But for now I just don't have $ for a road case. The casters will at least alleviate the hassle of carrying it around.

jojo68
Orange Master

Post by jojo68 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:23 pm

Seems stupid to saw the skids. I got some casters from home depot and screwed them into the skids.Simple.

Orangesoda
Orange Hero

Post by Orangesoda » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:33 pm

jojo68 wrote:Seems stupid to saw the skids. I got some casters from home depot and screwed them into the skids.Simple.
If you notice these are removable casters. You just press the spring and take em off. And that's what I want so that once I'm on stage with my amp I can take em off because of this that's in the link and quoted from the Orange website: "Our unique skid feet design helps to acoustically couple our cabinets to the stage, thus providing a tighter bass response and full range tone definition." So I want the skids to be on the ground :)

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:50 pm

He says he cut the skids to put them in the exact location they sit on the Mesa cab. I'd mount them without cutting any way possible that they are still functional. Another option is to just make your own skids if you don't want to cut the originals, pretty simple to do.

Orangesoda
Orange Hero

Post by Orangesoda » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:58 pm

Jondog wrote:He says he cut the skids to put them in the exact location they sit on the Mesa cab. I'd mount them without cutting any way possible that they are still functional.
Yea that's what I was thinking with option 2 or 3. But would turning the casters the other way matter or make any difference?

GummiTZ
Tiny Terror

Post by GummiTZ » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:59 pm

Has anyone done a comparison with skids vs wheels on an Orange PPC cab? Do the skids really improve the sound, or is it just sales gimmick from Orange, trying to save money by not adding wheels to their cabs?

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:11 pm

GummiTZ wrote:Has anyone done a comparison with skids vs wheels on an Orange PPC cab? Do the skids really improve the sound, or is it just sales gimmick from Orange, trying to save money by not adding wheels to their cabs?
In the right circumstance, it makes a difference. Its the opposite of people who "de-couple" their cabs from the stage when it's too boomy on hollow stages.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:47 pm

Jondog wrote:
GummiTZ wrote:Has anyone done a comparison with skids vs wheels on an Orange PPC cab? Do the skids really improve the sound, or is it just sales gimmick from Orange, trying to save money by not adding wheels to their cabs?
In the right circumstance, it makes a difference. Its the opposite of people who "de-couple" their cabs from the stage when it's too boomy on hollow stages.
Yeah, even raising the cab the height of the casters will lose some bass. But whether you want the physical coupling with the stage depends largely on the stage itself. If you are talking a crappy resonant wooden stage you are probably better lifting the cab. If the stage is nice and solid and the room isn't too boomy than you can get a whack more bottom end out of Orange cabs with their skids compared to anything on castors.

Personally I've taken to isolating my (bass) cabs using one of these:
AURALEX GRAMMA
You'll lose a little bottom end but it tightens the sound up beautifully and bottom end isn't a problem for me. Works a treat for guitar cabs too in most situations, though there would be occasions where you'd be better without.

To the OP re. the skids / casters. I'd personally do it exactly as shown in the pics. Why? Having them near the edges and corners makes the cab as stable as possible. And using that orientation means that you can tilt the cab sideways and easily remove them two at a time. If you have them orientated the other way you'll have to tilt it front / back which'll be a right pain, especially when you have the first two off (or on). Think about it... :wink:

Losing a bit of the skids isn't a big problem and that definitely looks the most logical way to me.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:59 pm

FYI, i've had a few Mesa bass cabs with those casters and I had issues on them with those little aluminum release buttons breaking and making it a pain to get the caster out. Be gentle with them.

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

jackincaves
Rocker

Post by jackincaves » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:10 am

My advice would be to just get a slab of wood and screw the casters in to that to make a dolly. No damage to the cab, you can take it off the dolly to have the skids in contact with the stage and you can reuse the dolly for other bits of gear when you're loading out.
The band - FOR EYES - http://www.facebook.com/foreyesband

First Act Delia -> Joyo Ultimate Drive -> Napalm Volume -> Line6 DL4 -> MXR Smart Gate -> Rocker 30 -> PPC212 + Matamp 4x12

Spaceboy1
Orange Hero

Post by Spaceboy1 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:58 am

Orangesoda wrote:
jojo68 wrote:Seems stupid to saw the skids. I got some casters from home depot and screwed them into the skids.Simple.
If you notice these are removable casters. You just press the spring and take em off. And that's what I want so that once I'm on stage with my amp I can take em off because of this that's in the link and quoted from the Orange website: "Our unique skid feet design helps to acoustically couple our cabinets to the stage, thus providing a tighter bass response and full range tone definition." So I want the skids to be on the ground :)
It's good marketing, but you won't notice a huge difference in skids verse casters unless you have eagle ears. The casters still couple it to the ground in a significant way. You would need something like that Great Gramma (which I use) for decoupling. Just put the casters on, it won't hurt anything and many people have done it to Orange PPCs. If I owned a PPC412, you can bet I would be installing casters. I've thought about doing it to my 212.

I recommend steering clear of road cases, they often weigh as much as cabs themselves and a huge pain in the ass. I had one on a Mesa cab back when I started touring and it was nothing but hassle. The slip covers for the PPC available from the Orange website are good enough protection in most circumstances. I throw my 212 around in one of those and it's still looking brand new.

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:54 am

jackincaves wrote:My advice would be to just get a slab of wood and screw the casters in to that to make a dolly. No damage to the cab, you can take it off the dolly to have the skids in contact with the stage and you can reuse the dolly for other bits of gear when you're loading out.
that makes a lot of sense too.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals