Orange cab caster install

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Re: Orange cab caster install

Post by a.hun » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:46 am

jason41224 wrote:
jackincaves wrote:My advice would be to just get a slab of wood and screw the casters in to that to make a dolly. No damage to the cab, you can take it off the dolly to have the skids in contact with the stage and you can reuse the dolly for other bits of gear when you're loading out.
that makes a lot of sense too.
Does. I grabbed a ready made one from a hardware store which comes in really handy.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Orangesoda
Orange Hero

Post by Orangesoda » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:13 pm

a.hun wrote:
jason41224 wrote:
jackincaves wrote:My advice would be to just get a slab of wood and screw the casters in to that to make a dolly. No damage to the cab, you can take it off the dolly to have the skids in contact with the stage and you can reuse the dolly for other bits of gear when you're loading out.
that makes a lot of sense too.
Does. I grabbed a ready made one from a hardware store which comes in really handy.

Andy.
Does sound good. But I already bought em and they were already sent out. Hmmmmmm

jackincaves
Rocker

Post by jackincaves » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:40 pm

Orangesoda wrote:Does sound good. But I already bought em and they were already sent out. Hmmmmmm
Yeh? So now you just need to get yourself some wood and attach the casters to it to make something like this:

The band - FOR EYES - http://www.facebook.com/foreyesband

First Act Delia -> Joyo Ultimate Drive -> Napalm Volume -> Line6 DL4 -> MXR Smart Gate -> Rocker 30 -> PPC212 + Matamp 4x12

Orangesoda
Orange Hero

Post by Orangesoda » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:09 am

jackincaves wrote:
Orangesoda wrote:Does sound good. But I already bought em and they were already sent out. Hmmmmmm
Yeh? So now you just need to get yourself some wood and attach the casters to it to make something like this:

In that case I could have gotten non-removable (cheaper) casters to just put em on a piece of wood lol. Seems pointless now to do that if I have the removable ones if I'm not gonna use that extra feature I paid for lo. But I'll see :)

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:15 pm

I'd do the dolly and get industrial velcro. Or just get this....

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessor ... orter-cart" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:12 am

+1 for a dolly

Moral of the story: Never buy anything without consulting the Orange Forum first :D .

peanuts
Tiny Terror

Post by peanuts » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:54 am

Last edited by peanuts on Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Orangesoda
Orange Hero

Post by Orangesoda » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:17 am

peanuts wrote:removing those casters is going to be troublesome. people just DON"T use that functionality, not if they're actually using the wheels. Most wheels on cabs (like these ones being held in place by two screws) are just good enough to roll across a flat floor. hit any bumps and you risk ripping out the wheel or other problems.
just get a dolly.

jackincaves wrote: Image
seriously this.
especially since you plan on removing the castors when you gig.
save yourself a headache.
and as a plus you won't be reducing your cabs value via home mods.

i got live in road cases for my PPC412
That dolly looks like something I will consider from now till them casters get here. That road case looks awesome. You're making me want things I can't afford. How dare you lol

Spaceboy1
Orange Hero

Post by Spaceboy1 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:12 pm

The Mesa casters are not troublesome at all and are the best casters from any cabinet I've ever owned (which includes "boutique" brands like Diezel, Fryette, etc). They're already purchased, and will be much more stable and reliable than a velcro'd dolly or anything like that. You bought the best casters on the market, and they should be a snap to add. Just install them and don't think about it too much, and enjoy not lugging around a 100lb cabinet!

Y0UNGBL00D
Orange Master

Post by Y0UNGBL00D » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:02 pm

i flightcased my ppc412. it makes it about twice as heavy it seems, but world easier to deal with, provided you have a bass player to help with the lifting.
Thunderverb 50,
modded SG, pedals, shiner bock.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:21 pm

I have one of those dollies under my cab. My buddy let me borrow it when I 'moved. I never gave it back and texted him a pic of it under my cab say ing "Thanks, makes a great cab stand". He wants it back for his....not gonna happen :mrgreen:

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:23 am

Y0UNGBL00D wrote:i flightcased my ppc412. it makes it about twice as heavy it seems, but world easier to deal with, provided you have a bass player to help with the lifting.
why else would you have a bass player? :roll:
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:57 pm

jason41224 wrote:
Y0UNGBL00D wrote:i flightcased my ppc412. it makes it about twice as heavy it seems, but world easier to deal with, provided you have a bass player to help with the lifting.
They're good to have around to help change a flat (or argue about whether it is actually flat).

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:24 pm

Grrrr... :lol:

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Spaceboy1
Orange Hero

Post by Spaceboy1 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:19 pm

jason41224 wrote:
heck with a ppc412, who needs a bass player?