What pedals can you not live without?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

BillyBlaze

Post by BillyBlaze » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:26 pm

I am like every other guitarist....on a quest for TONE and sometimes something diffrent.

When I buy an amp it has to have an incredible 'Clean" channel because it seems most amps sound like crap on the second channel or the first.

So I have come to rely and love my OKKO Diablo Gain PLUS Overdrive pedal for dirty stuff
Also from the same company I am digging the OKKO Coca Compressor even more and keep it on all the time.
It's a simple two knob pedal with knobs labeled PUSH and SING...and it does!

Recently we lost our Keyboard player so I bought a BOSS RT-20 Leslie simulator and it actually gets "some" organ sounds by itself but not enough to pull off what we need so I just ordered an Electr-Harmonix POG 2 to use in conjunction with the RT-20.
These two pedals may come and go...the jury is out on them.
But the OKKO pedal especially the Coca are on my pedal board to stay : )

What pedals are your aces?

Zemyr

Re: What pedals can you not live without?

Post by Zemyr » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:51 pm

It might sound lame for a lot of people...

But I can't live without a clean boost on the loop of the amp. In a band with 2 guitars, keyboard, bass, drums and 4 voices, I really need to get my leads louder. That's the reason I got the RV50 instead of a Rocker 30.

(and the RV50 MKI got that loop issue... but i'm workin on it...)
ROCKERVERB 50 MK I

GummiTZ
Tiny Terror

Post by GummiTZ » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:32 pm

I cannot live without a tuner. I can get by without the rest if I need to.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:38 pm

GummiTZ wrote:I cannot live without a tuner. I can get by without the rest if I need to.
+1 :lol:

I guess if I had to choose my Memory Boy or Barber LTD are fairly important to my live sound sometimes, but I could get by with nothing but a tuner with no problems at all.

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:15 pm

Minimum to gig?

If its in the band I'm in now I would need a tuner, Budda wah, and my EP Booster and I could make it through the night. I'd maybe need the Strymon or some other delay for a little slap back to make the Tele/OR50 sound a bit bigger.

If I'm just sitting in thoug, tuner and EP Booster.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hitgar
Orange Hero

Post by hitgar » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:59 pm

With my current set up, Cyclone and OR15, I would need my Blackout Effectors Fix'd Fuzz (great as a boost, fat drive, and fuzz) and my Line 6 M9 (just for the delay). I don't like the sound of a dry amp. If I had an amp with reverb I would just say the fuzz.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:22 pm

I've got a lot of pedals, they all serve a purpose and do different things and not one of them at the moment I want to get rid of, but I think if only one could stay it'd be my wah pedal. I've always had a wah and at one point was all I had between my amp and guitar besides a tuner. There's so much stuff I can do with it to grab extra sounds out of a rig.

bmxbandit
Orange Hero

Post by bmxbandit » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:28 pm

I cannot live without reverb. You can take away everything else but as long as I have a playable guitar plugged into a loud enough clean amp with a reverb pedal I'm gold till im old.
http://therestlessdays.bandcamp.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:30 pm

A tuner.

I use a volume pedal to go between varying degrees of dirt (or to clean up), a trem, and a SD pickup booster for certain leads. But I get along just fine with guitar>tuner>amp.

This is relevant, as at our last gig my other guitarist was supposed to bring my cable box from the practice space and forgot it. It made me think of what I actually need to get the job done. Cables, tuner, guitar, amp...and capo. Once you start using those things, you usually can't play the song without them!

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

Bensen
Orange Master

Post by Bensen » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:00 pm

GummiTZ wrote:I cannot live without a tuner...
+2

However, if the song/band calls for it I use different kinds of pedals. Here is my top 5
1. delay (marshall eh, boss dd7, line 6)
2. fuzz (fuzz factory, rat, bosstone, lovepedal 200lbs)
3. octaver (pog2, boss harmonist, whammy)
3. reverb (marshall pedal, amp-spring reverb)
4. overdrive (dano cto1, tubescreamer)

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:44 pm

Turbo Tuner and Way Huge Pork Loin. Everything else (Wah, phaser, delay) is just there as a spice but not totally required.
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

savage8190
Orange Master

Post by savage8190 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:51 pm

My Diamond Compressor; on all the time with every amp.

I use my looper/delay (Flashback X4 now) and Reverb (HOF and Trinity) a ton too and would not like to be without.

ScottyDanger
Orange Hero

Post by ScottyDanger » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:13 pm

GummiTZ wrote:I cannot live without a tuner. I can get by without the rest if I need to.
If I had to name one, it would be my tuner as well. My tuner is also and A/B box, and obviously a mute button as well. Even still, I could get by going straight into my amp, and using a clip-on tuner if need be.

Of course, if you could the reverb/vibrato pedal on my Princeton, then I can't go without that. Just to turn tremolo on/off though, the reverb never gets turned off!
SG Standard / Telecaster / Cyclone
Fender '65 Princeton Reverb RI
MXR - M102 / M103 / M169

Gtr_Pkr
Orange Expert

Post by Gtr_Pkr » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:48 pm

Like ScottyDanger said....use a clip-on tuner, ala Snark, and no pedal(s) needed for me. Les Paul Custom into Sligo '59 Bassman clone and use the volume knob as needed. Now, if I could only be satisfied with that simple setup.....:)
Lost in the spacey reverb of the Rockerverb.......SOMEBODY GET ME OUTTA HERE!!

misterfolkertsma
Orange Expert

Post by misterfolkertsma » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:20 pm

For my band-specific needs, I really can't go without: a tuner, ABY-box, octaver, MXR micro Amp.