Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Re: What's the BEST blues neck pickup?

Post by OrangePaul » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:41 pm

Taronja wrote:
Les Paul Lover wrote:
OrangePaul wrote:I think Sid hit on your problem right there...

57's aren't hot pickups which is one of the reasons why they normally do blues so well or that warm mellow tone normally associated with...

I wouldn't worry abou that too much.

I have a Paf Pro & X2N ( low output paf 8kohm & very high out put 16kohm pick up) in one of my guitar, it balances fine.
yes, a friend of mine has a 57 neck and a SD Super Dis.. in his SG and its fine. the pickup is either dead or maybe i wired it wrong? i bought it used, so i had to find wiring info online...

indianDYsummer wrote:Does the 57 classic have 4 conductor wire? It sounds like one of the coils is shorted out somehow.
Gibson 57 Classic 4 conductor

I have the shield/green to ground > white/black joined > red as hot ?

Jon
Sorry I didn't realise we were talking resistance earlier...

That wiring sounds correct. You could try checking the resisitance from the joined pair to the ground and then the joined pair to red to see if you do have a short in there. Both readings on that should be roughly the same I would think normally.
Paul.

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:45 am

I found this diagram online for Gibson pickups:

Looks like you may have one of the coils shorted with your wiring scheme..?

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:17 am

indianDYsummer wrote:I found this diagram online for Gibson pickups:

You could be right if the black & shield are also joined at the pickup end...
Otherwise I would expect it to just reverse the phase of the south coil.

What you need to do if you haven't already is separate the wires and see if you can find two pairs that both measure about 3.5 to 4k

Good luck with it...
Paul.

Bensen
Orange Master

Post by Bensen » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:47 am

just if anyones still interested, heres a video with the leosounds:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOAAKm8- ... ature=plcp

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:52 am

As the name suggests, the DiMarzio Bluesbucker is worth considering. It is designed to sound like a hum-free P-90, but it looks like a regular humbucker. I think it does sound reasonably close to a P-90, but it is basically a low/medium output humbucker with a lot of midrange. I've only tried it in an SG, but I would expect it to be ideal for a Les Paul as long as you don't like a bright sound.

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:03 pm

OrangePaul wrote:

What you need to do if you haven't already is separate the wires and see if you can find two pairs that both measure about 3.5 to 4k

Good luck with it...
Yes, you are correct that it would seem like his wiring error should only reverse the phase of the south coil. But his measurement indicates the black wire is shorted somewhere, most likely to the shield internally to the pickup (as you hinted). If the south coil was broken (really the only other failure possible when troubleshooting DC resistance of a wire) he would be measuring infinite resistance to ground from the hot (red) wire with how it is currently wired, not 3.5k.

I agree that the troubleshooting steps you listed are the best way to go. Split the white and black wires and measure away! Hopefully you find that you don't have a bum/shorted pickup after all!

EDIT: I guess the white wire could be shorted instead, since its currently wired to the black, but it's less likely IMO

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:12 pm

indianDYsummer wrote:
OrangePaul wrote:

Good luck with it...
Yes, you are correct that it would seem like his wiring error should only reverse the phase of the south coil. But his measurement indicates the black wire is shorted somewhere, most likely to the shield internally to the pickup (as you hinted). If the south coil was broken (really the only other failure possible when troubleshooting DC resistance of a wire) he would be measuring infinite resistance to ground from the hot (red) wire with how it is currently wired, not 3.5k.

I agree that the troubleshooting steps you listed are the best way to go. Split the white and black wires and measure away! Hopefully you find that you don't have a bum/shorted pickup after all!

EDIT: I guess the white wire could be shorted instead, since its currently wired to the black, but it's less likely IMO
The problem could be in the North coil... but I agree the black and screen seem to be the most likely cause ...

Darn this is the kind of thing I do all week! I shouldn't be doing it at a weekend :lol:
Paul.

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:50 pm

Haha, I can definitely relate to that! :lol:

Taronja
Orange Master

Post by Taronja » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:11 pm

Ok, thanks for all the great info... yup switched the green and black and "WALLAaaa" she sounds fantastic and its at 7.7 on the output, maybe I got 3.5 cause i was testing while it was still soldered in the guitar? drrr :? , im not to experienced with this stuff, im one of those DIY guys :mrgreen:

if this is running 7.7 does this mean this may be the "plus" version of the 57 ??

thanks for all the help...

Jon
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Easter-B ... 6877535568
Member since 2005
Currently a non orange owner. Im actively in search of a vintage OR head... Feel free to send me any leads... :)

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:22 pm

Cool!

Glad you got it sorted!
Will that be good enough for your blues pick up? :D
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Taronja
Orange Master

Post by Taronja » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:36 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:Cool!

Glad you got it sorted!
Will that be good enough for your blues pick up? :D
yeah, the 57 is badass, thats what i was using in my previous 98 Standard that had her neck broke (RIP) so its what i wanted all along, i spent weeks tracking a used on down. not only did i find a great deal on a used one BUT it was in Zebra, just what i was hoping for.

i mainly run the neck pickup 95% of the time, thats why i put a Super Distortion in the bridge. just something to dabble/experiment with for the style of tone im after, even if its not for me it really wont bother me wether its in there or not. so far im digging it thou.

im really happy it worked out, i guess i was so excited and rushed into it to fast then gave up to quick, this forum is the best, if i had not come on here and brought it up i would have just bought a new pickup and that one would have been tossed in a draw or something. :?

Jon
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Easter-B ... 6877535568
Member since 2005
Currently a non orange owner. Im actively in search of a vintage OR head... Feel free to send me any leads... :)

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:17 pm

Brilliant! It's great something's actually worked out for the better without spending money :D

Put the cheque in the post and me and Andy can fight for it :lol:

7.7k does sound like a 57 classic from a list I've seen floating about on net.
Enjoy :wink:
Paul.