Why can't I get into Muse?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

JRogero
Orange Hero

Why can't I get into Muse?

Post by JRogero » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:46 pm

I have never been a Muse fan but I really like their new song Madness so I decided to give them another chance. I went online and listened to some more of their songs and came to the conclusion that I really only like 2 songs by them, Madness and Supermassive Black Hole. It seems weird to me that I can't get into them. They are undeniably fantastic musicians, they cover a lot ground musically, and their live performances sound amazingly like their studio work. But for me there is something missing from their songs that I just can't quite put my finger on. Maybe it's because a lot of their songs tend to be a little overly dramatic or more likely it is a short coming on my part. It no coincidence that the 2 songs I like are their 2 simplest songs.

Anyone else have a band that makes you feel a little bit guilty for not being into them?

sidvicious
Orange Master

Re: Why can't I get into Muse?

Post by sidvicious » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:34 pm

i can see why on the muse deal.

i never could get motorhead.
Orange TV50
Orange Rockerverb MkII 2x12 Combo
Orange DT
Orange AD5
Orange PPC212

Vox AC50
Vox AC30
Vox AC4
2 Vox NT's
Marshall TlS 100
Marshall JCM800
Marshall slant
Mesa TA
60's Silverface Fender Twin
65 F SuperVerb
Bunch of others.

Spaceboy1
Orange Hero

Post by Spaceboy1 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:49 pm

I can't get into Muse either. On paper and seeing their rigs, sounds like a band I would adore, but for whatever reason they are almost unlistenable except at certain moments for me (largely due to the vocals). Oh well, I gave them an honest shot and maybe one day down the road they will catch my ear again. They seem like great musicians that really like to experiment, which is appealing.

ScottyDanger
Orange Hero

Post by ScottyDanger » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:54 pm

Are you just poking around at youtube videos with the most hits? Try listening to Absolution from front to back as an album and see if that changes things. I find that record flows really well and balances accessibility with their signature sound very well (some records are harder to get into but more 'authentic' muse according to hardcore fans, while the newer stuff is easier to understand but also a bit too 'tame').

I'm not a huge fan by any means, but Absolution as a record holds a special place in my heart, it really clicked with me at age 14 and was half of the inspiration to pick up my first rock instrument, the bass.
SG Standard / Telecaster / Cyclone
Fender '65 Princeton Reverb RI
MXR - M102 / M103 / M169

handyandy
Tiny Terror

Post by handyandy » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:02 pm

I have trouble getting into any newish bands, I really don't like Muse's style.
I guess I'm just old fashioned, but to my mind there has never been a modern equivalent to the old time greats like AC DC, Zeppelin, early ZZ Top and such.
I cant understand why music has been going downhill since the good old days.
Like I say, It's probably just me!

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:05 pm

I like Muse at times, too, but I think for me, it's listening to music that I could never play. Guitars with track pads on them (or basses for that matter) just aren't in my realm of interest.

sidvicious
Orange Master

Post by sidvicious » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:09 pm

handyandy wrote:I have trouble getting into any newish bands, I really don't like Muse's style.
I guess I'm just old fashioned, but to my mind there has never been a modern equivalent to the old time greats like AC DC, Zeppelin, early ZZ Top and such.
i think you and i are probably rowing the same boat. i can't get into techno oriented bands at all.

there are a few new bands that i can get into, but the direction seems to be lost on me. and like you said - it's probably just me. for example, radiohead gets a lot of attention, but when i listen to it i can handle about 20 seconds before i turn it off.
Orange TV50
Orange Rockerverb MkII 2x12 Combo
Orange DT
Orange AD5
Orange PPC212

Vox AC50
Vox AC30
Vox AC4
2 Vox NT's
Marshall TlS 100
Marshall JCM800
Marshall slant
Mesa TA
60's Silverface Fender Twin
65 F SuperVerb
Bunch of others.

savage8190
Orange Master

Post by savage8190 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:24 pm

Because they are just too weird :).

Seriously though, I tried really hard to get into their music too...most of it is just too out there.

misterfolkertsma
Orange Expert

Post by misterfolkertsma » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:34 pm

I've tried to like them, but they're just a bit too produced for me. Like you said, a little too dramatic too, to the point that I find them somewhat anti-rock'n'roll. I tend to like bands that have a simpler raw mindset. Though I do enjoy electro music every now and then.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:32 pm

handyandy wrote:I have trouble getting into any newish bands, I really don't like Muse's style.

Ah, ah!!!! :lol:

Indeed, they don't do them like that anymore!

I do love muse myself - seen them live, got all the albums, they are a big part of my CD rotation.
They are TOTALLY overly dramatic, and that really appeals to the nostalgic wannabee teenager in me.

Did you ever give the Arctic monkey a chance? That might appeal? I struggled with them to start with, but a really starting to get into them. Love their simple real life lyrics - their depictions of an average night out when young in england are epic. And simple (no guitar hero I'm afraid) music - guitar/bass/drums, not much effect, just good old fashion LP in an overdriven AC30.

That said there are loads of bands I've never been able to get into, like Queen or the Beatles. No interest in them whatsoever.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Alex Sheeny
Rocker

Post by Alex Sheeny » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:50 pm

Too modern.

I mean, Mastodon is modern too but I actually like em' a lot, but for other reasons that not their productions/effects. It's just taste, I like some electronic/disco/house stuff too but I can't really get into MUSE.

Alex Sheeny
Rocker

Post by Alex Sheeny » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:52 pm

Graveyard is here to say that the good old days of rock and roll aren't over.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:33 pm

Poor man's Radiohead.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:39 pm

baytamusic wrote:Poor man's Radiohead.
Yet I really don't like radiohead - those bands actually don't have much in common at all. :?
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:40 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:
baytamusic wrote:Poor man's Radiohead.
Yet I really don't like radiohead - those bands actually don't have much in common at all. :?
Ok.