JMI Zonk Machine

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

crusader262

JMI Zonk Machine

Post by crusader262 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:08 am

So Wednesday day I just picked up this bad boy. Only 20 of them were ever made, based on the Tone Bender MKI. However, this has one different transistor, the OC 44 NOS. It acts more of a trebly overdrive rather than all out fuzz. Much less the the 81s used in the professional MKII. I am writing this though because I was looking for something to give me an early Pagey tone, 69-70'. Every website, including JMI says use the tone bender MKII professional. So I did as the shop had both the zonk and the MKII. The MKII just has too much fuzz. Even rolled back volumes it still had crazy amount of sustain and fuzz, which was sick, but it couldn't get articulate as pages tone. The Zonk nails it. It's heavy, thick, but really articulate as well, and not really over fuzzy where it's hard to control. Anyway, I love playing through my rockerverb. It sounds incredible. I wanted to put this here because A) I love orange and this forum, and B) there isn't alot out there on this pedal.

I also tried the Soul Bender from fulltone. For a third of what I paid that pedal is extremely convincing. Oh and go see Zeppelins celebration day, unbelievable.
"Heavy gauge strings, set volume high, then floor it."

Les Paul 2007 R9
Ibanez Artist series 250 with Gibson 57' humbuckers
Fender "evil" Twin 93'
Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
Orange PPC 2x12 closed back