Best Places to Live in America for Original Music

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Ddjembe Mutombo
Orange Master

Re: Best Places to Live in America for Original Music

Post by Ddjembe Mutombo » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:52 am

Let me set some stuff straight about Austin. It is a bunch of hippies that are mediocre at music. There have been probably only a handful of decent bands that have come out of Austin in the past decade. It's an overhyped market, and I know this because I spent 18 years there. Most local bands get jammed playing shitty "no cover" bars. It has a ton of musicians, but getting off the ground is really tough.

Upstate NY, Philly, and Boston are starting to really shine these days. Chicago, Seattle, Nashville, and South Los Angeles have always had a pretty hoppin' scene. Portland and Denver are emerging. Miami and Atlanta are alright too. Twin Cities, Minnesota is okay I guess. DC is good for punk. NYC and the boroughs are rough. Limited space and high cost of living.

That's my forecast. Remember. Creed came from Tallahassee and Nickelback came from some butt-hole town in Alberta... so anything is possible!!!

Edit: Omaha and Kansas City were pretty rockin' in the late 90's/early 00's. Not really sure about now.
Monty

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Post by misterMagoo » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:21 pm

^^^ Thanks dude that was pretty comprehensive. And everyone else who contributed.
-Joe
My mother wears army boots.

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

http://lifereformatted.wordpress.com/
Check out my blog - adventure, travel, and the meaning of life.

Y0UNGBL00D
Orange Master

Post by Y0UNGBL00D » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:44 pm

Randy Bass wrote:I'm pretty sure that Austin is at the top of the list for most people. However, Creed is from Tallahassee :wink: .
the thread should have ended here. robert plant just moved here. go figure.
Thunderverb 50,
modded SG, pedals, shiner bock.

Y0UNGBL00D
Orange Master

Post by Y0UNGBL00D » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:46 pm

Ddjembe Mutombo wrote:Let me set some stuff straight about Austin. It is a bunch of hippies that are mediocre at music. There have been probably only a handful of decent bands that have come out of Austin in the past decade. It's an overhyped market, and I know this because I spent 18 years there. Most local bands get jammed playing shitty "no cover" bars. It has a ton of musicians, but getting off the ground is really tough.

Upstate NY, Philly, and Boston are starting to really shine these days. Chicago, Seattle, Nashville, and South Los Angeles have always had a pretty hoppin' scene. Portland and Denver are emerging. Miami and Atlanta are alright too. Twin Cities, Minnesota is okay I guess. DC is good for punk. NYC and the boroughs are rough. Limited space and high cost of living.

That's my forecast. Remember. Creed came from Tallahassee and Nickelback came from some butt-hole town in Alberta... so anything is possible!!!

Edit: Omaha and Kansas City were pretty rockin' in the late 90's/early 00's. Not really sure about now.

this is partly true, but getting better i think. depends on how "famous" you want to be or if you are here to be a musician or to go to shows. definitely a consumer's market down here. though it seems if you are actually different sounding, you have no trouble. in a blues band? you're screwed, homie.

the thing is, look at the bands that HAVE made it out. the sword, explosions in the sky, etc...
the focus is shifting towards original music. this is a good thing. im proud to be a part of that in the last couple months with Robo Cougar.
Thunderverb 50,
modded SG, pedals, shiner bock.

everdrone
Orange Expert

Post by everdrone » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:53 am

Ddjembe Mutombo wrote:Let me set some stuff straight about Austin. It is a bunch of hippies that are mediocre at music. There have been probably only a handful of decent bands that have come out of Austin in the past decade. It's an overhyped market, and I know this because I spent 18 years there. Most local bands get jammed playing shitty "no cover" bars. It has a ton of musicians, but getting off the ground is really tough..
I agree with that exactly! After I lived there two years, I was amazed at how the awesome bands rarely ever play live, like only 3 times a year at decent venues

Y0UNGBL00D wrote:
Ddjembe Mutombo wrote:Let.
in a blues band? you're screwed, homie.
ya, tons of great blues musicians there that are very smart and from guitar playing schools and stuff, heh tough to get a gig doing that with SRV legend getting blues players to flock to austin...glad you found a medium there in robo cougar tho, good luck dude!
My solo downtuned HEAVY rock project: https://soundcloud.com/earthalliance

Guitarist and Bassist in Fort Worth, TEXAS