New RV 100 mkii day! + a few queries.

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

klarocca
Tiny Terror

New RV 100 mkii day! + a few queries.

Post by klarocca » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:02 am

Hey guys!

So for those of you that remember, I was thinking about selling my TV50 as I had "fallen out of love with it". Well I sold it and pulled the trigger on the RV100 mkii. Couldn't be happier, and it's great to have a big headroom amp with a dedicated clean channel. Also the drive has this amazing 'vocal' quality, for lack of a better word that is just astounding.

Anyway, I promise to have the obligatory pics & review soon, I just have a few questions:

1. Now I've never had a 100 watter before, so I just wanted to ask fellow owners, how hot should the head get? after about an hour the top plate gets pretty damn hot! I remember my tv50 getting really hot but this is something else. I'm guessing bigger wattage, bigger trainee, more tubes = more heat. Would this be an accurate assumption?

2. Also, I'd love to hear some of your fave setting! I've had a ball tweaking so far and have dialled in most of the tones I'm after. I'm interested in what ya'll are dialing in for more low/mid gain sounds? like that point where the difference between clean and overdriven is your picking.

Any advice is much appreciated, thanks!

KLR
E credo di essere anormale, ebbene non lo so.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Re: New RV 100 mkii day! + a few queries.

Post by Boy_Narf » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:04 pm

Yes mine gets really hot!

Regarding low/mid gain tones, I prefer to use the clean channel and an od pedal. I find the gain channel to be a little thin when the gain gets turned down.

David Verb
Rocker

Post by David Verb » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:20 am

Boy_Narf wrote:Yes mine gets really hot!

Regarding low/mid gain tones, I prefer to use the clean channel and an od pedal. I find the gain channel to be a little thin when the gain gets turned down.
I'm the opposite with my Mark I, I prefer to use the dirty channel with lower gain and higher volume coupled with any fuzz or O/D pedal. I believe the dirty channel responds better to OD pedals. I don't find it thin, I like the bite I get when the pedals are off.
Amp
Orange Rockerverb 100

Cabinet
PPC 412 HP 8

Alex Sheeny
Rocker

Post by Alex Sheeny » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:09 pm

David Verb wrote:
Boy_Narf wrote:Yes mine gets really hot!

I'm the opposite with my Mark I, I prefer to use the dirty channel with lower gain and higher volume coupled with any fuzz or O/D pedal. I believe the dirty channel responds better to OD pedals. I don't find it thin, I like the bite I get when the pedals are off.

Me too. I prefer to use my dirty channel with low/mid gain stuff. But I rather use my clean channel with pedals.

Vondutch68

Post by Vondutch68 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:11 pm

I agree with Boy_narf, I prefer the clean channel with an OD, I use the Rockett Animal. For fuzz I have both the Foxey Fuzz and the Pharaoh Fuzz. I use my dirty channel for my leads, it cuts through the mix really well.