Rockerverb MKII 100 Clean v.s. Dirty

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Vondutch68

Rockerverb MKII 100 Clean v.s. Dirty

Post by Vondutch68 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:15 pm

So I have had my Rockerverb MKII 100 for about 9 months and have really settled into using the Clean Channel with an overdrive pedal for my main sound. It just sounds so much more warm and ballsy than the dirty channel. I have tried a variety of preamp and power tubes always with the same result. I actually use the dirty channel as my lead channel, cranking the volume a bit louder than the clean channel to cut through the rest of the band.

Does anyone else out there find the clean channel more rich sounding than the dirty channel on the Rockerverb?

Cheers!

Belzebuth
Tiny Terror

Re: Rockerverb MKII 100 Clean v.s. Dirty

Post by Belzebuth » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:07 pm

nop! my dirty channel is amazing :twisted:
Rockerverb 50H Mk1 + PPC212
Godin Signature LGxt
Morley Wha
Xotic RC Booster
Carbon Copy

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:02 pm

To get the most out of an RVs dirty channel, you need that MV at 2:00 or more. Otherwise it's not pushing the power valves enough to get optimal tone. EQ and Gain to taste. Yeah, it gets loud that way, but it sounds super! :wink:
Greg

Vondutch68

Post by Vondutch68 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:53 pm

I have noticed the Dirty channel sounds way better if the volume is cranked. I really do like the tone of the clean channel on this amp
though. :mrgreen:

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:05 am

I think there's a dual thing resulting from the different voicing of those channels.

Firstly, the RV clean channels are voiced a lot brighter than the dirty chanel. Try using both channels clean at the same volume, the difference is huge. So when putting an OD though the clean channel, you get a more biting, in your face OD.

Secondly, with the dirty channel being voiced much less brightly than the clean channel, you get this very smooth sounding OD. Not saying it cannot do heavy riffing, just saying that compared to other amp who will have loads of proeminent highs, this one hasn't unless you crank the treble pot.

It suits me fine there. I love its tone on both channels.
One of my advantages, and greg's, is that we both have the 50w (MKI) models - we can, at moderate gain level, put the master around 1 to 3 pm without deafening everybody in town. And then the OD tone is heavenly, so warm, rich - brilliant for leads and rythm IMO.

Love that amp so much!!!!!! :mrgreen:
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:22 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

All of that is right on the money! And I love my RV50 too. If I could have only one amp - easily the RV50. Best AMP EVER!!!!! 8)
Greg