Burnt out on the TS-9

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

nedcronin
Rocker

Burnt out on the TS-9

Post by nedcronin » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:27 am

So, I have an older TS-9, I think from the early 90's. I've had it a long time but never used it much. Anyway I have been using it with my TT but even with the gain and the tone all the way down, it still seems too bright. I am going to need a new OD soon, something low gain with lots of dynamics and harmonics on tap, but not too bright. If anything I would like to boost some bass frequencies to use with this TT.

Lately, I have been digging the tone of the amp without the OD, volume on 10, gain on 2-3 and the tone knob pretty far down. I put some NOS RFT EL84's in there and the amp is just incredible. I know it will eat these tubes up but what am I going to save them for? I'm only getting older LOL! The harmonics and touch response are just crazy. But more gain that 2-3 is just not needed for a classic crunchy woody tone that cleans up really nice with the guitar volume knob.

Sorry excuse my rambling....back on the topic....a new OD. I had heard a Jetter helium on a you tube vid and I liked that a lot. I also am interested in that Catalinbread SFT, and some of there other OD's. I'm also hoping for some good suggestions.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: Burnt out on the TS-9

Post by Jondog » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:40 am

BB Preamp.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:38 am

nedcronin wrote:I put some NOS RFT EL84's in there and the amp is just incredible. I know it will eat these tubes up but what am I going to save them for? I'm only getting older LOL! The harmonics and touch response are just crazy. But more gain that 2-3 is just not needed for a classic crunchy woody tone that cleans up really nice with the guitar volume knob.
Its okay, I'll keep quiet - just this once... :lol:
nedcronin wrote:I am going to need a new OD soon, something low gain with lots of dynamics and harmonics on tap, but not too bright. If anything I would like to boost some bass frequencies to use with this TT.
Can't really help with the OD for the TT, but if someone was to suggest a graphic EQ I might just second that! Most graphics also have an overall output level control so can be great for a bit of boost / tonal tweak while still keeping the amps own general drive flavour.

(BTW if that works out you can thank me by sending me your useless old TS-9! :wink:)

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:54 am

what exactly are you looking for in an OD? something to push your amp? if you liked the TS9 but want a little less mids/treble you could try out the MXR Custom Modified OD. mine's arriving in a few days so i could tell you how it sounds. it's basically a TS circuit with an added bass boost and a button to pull out some of the mids for a more flat EQ.

otherwise, a good boost pedal might do you good.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

savage8190
Orange Master

Post by savage8190 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:41 am

I think boosts work better with the TT. Try the Diamond boost/eq. I love mine...two knob eq that is basically a shape knob and a mid boost (and its by-passable), and the clean boost really pushes the front end.

chuckbat1
Tiny Terror

Post by chuckbat1 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:16 am

I have the OCD from Fulltone. Great pedal. Sounds best when used with an 18 volt power adapter. The new issue of Guitar World has the top 10 OD pedals listed with descriptions and history of each one. I would like to hear how a Blues Driver sound through my OR15
Tiny Terror
TH30H
Orange PPC 1x12 Cabs

Foef
Orange Master

Post by Foef » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:19 am

Another one to try is the EP Booster by Xotic.
And the OCD if you want real overdrive. The combination OCD and EP Booster (in that order) really gives me a heavy tone with, still, lots of transparancy and a fair amount of punch. For a fifteen watt amp with a 1x12, that is.

Grtz, Bert.
Squier 15 (1988)
Mesa/Boogie F50 (2005)
Orange CR60C (2014)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Factory/438445022903833
http://www.facebook.com/ODcoverband

danbond
Orange Expert

Post by danbond » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:46 am

\way Huge Green Rhino / MXR custom Badass OD

Pump the level, gain down, 100hz for the bass.

Theres loads of gain on both, but both work as a low-gain OD with decent bass control.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:10 am

Danelectro coolcat transparent overdrive.

Low gain and pretty nice sounding. On lower gain setting it can be used as a booster, it hasn't got masses of gain. And it being a copy of (can't remember which) an expensive pedal, it's cheap and yet sounds good.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Jackson5
Tiny Terror

Post by Jackson5 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:11 pm

smallsound/bigsound F#@K Overdrive-- it's awesome

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:23 pm

The Barber LTD is my new favorite. I use it on all the time with my Rocker 30, clean and dirt channels. Pedal is fairly transparent, very low OD, and just sounds nice and fat. Look up some reviews. It's also one of the most affordable hand made pedals out there.

nedcronin
Rocker

Post by nedcronin » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:17 pm

Crap the Barber LTD is discontinued and I can't seem to find one online. Bummer.

nlimbaugh
Orange Master

Post by nlimbaugh » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:31 pm

NOS RFT EL84's in TT right? Sounds like a good fit considering the low end heavy response that people say about them. I've only really started using my TT for the first session (day) or so when recording... when I'm still butchering a song and getting myself together. And, I'm getting old too. I'm gonna price those. Thanks for the review. The TT sounds really good to me, but compared to the OR80 it sounds kind of distant, kind of like you're hearing it resonate from the other side of the house. Hollow is a little too derogatory.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:40 pm

nedcronin wrote:Crap the Barber LTD is discontinued and I can't seem to find one online. Bummer.
Old model (the one I have)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Barber-LTD-Earl ... 337ba12b57

Newer Model (Barber LTD SR, supposedly more transparent, so maybe better)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Barber-LTD-SR-o ... 3cc9e44034

fitterhappier

Post by fitterhappier » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:28 pm

danbond wrote:\way Huge Green Rhino / MXR custom Badass OD

Pump the level, gain down, 100hz for the bass.

Theres loads of gain on both, but both work as a low-gain OD with decent bass control.
I use a Green Rhino with my TH30. Similar situation, as my previous OD pedal was a TS-9. Although I didn't have the Orange at the time (had an ENGL), I was frustrated at the brightness of the TS-9 and the extreme bass cut. Green Rhino solved that for sure. Massive sounding, loads of output, but it's very controllable and not as aggressive as the TS-9. Plus the 100hz knob lets you contour exactly how much low end you want. I love it.