Can somebody explain me why you guys dont like the TH100/30?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

richardfirebird
Tiny Terror

Can somebody explain me why you guys dont like the TH100/30?

Post by richardfirebird » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:52 pm

Well i've been here around for some days and i noticed that nobody really talks about the Orange TH100/30, is it because it's made in China or someother thing? :?

"I killed a man 'cause he killed my goat
I put my hands around his throat
He tried to reason with the sky and the clouds
But it didn't matter, 'cause they can't hear a sound
It's just the curl of the burl"

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: Can somebody explain me why you guys dont like the TH100

Post by Jondog » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:59 pm

They get their share....

richardfirebird
Tiny Terror

Post by richardfirebird » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:06 pm

Jondog wrote:They get their share....

not really especially the TH100

kmlabs
Orange Expert

Post by kmlabs » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:06 pm

Well apparently you're the only TH100 owner on here... but there was a bit of skepticism about the TH30 when it came out; too modern, high gain, fizzy, going away from what Orange is good at, etc. The same thing happened with the Dark Terror and, more recently the Jim Root #4 head.

Ignore the naysayers: if you like your amp then that's the main thing! Personally I love my Dark Terror, but there are people on this forum who are almost speechless at the fact I got rid of a Rockerverb for it :)
Kerry

Too much gain is... just about enough

richardfirebird
Tiny Terror

Post by richardfirebird » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:18 pm

kmlabs wrote:Well apparently you're the only TH100 owner on here... but there was a bit of skepticism about the TH30 when it came out; too modern, high gain, fizzy, going away from what Orange is good at, etc. The same thing happened with the Dark Terror and, more recently the Jim Root #4 head.

Ignore the naysayers: if you like your amp then that's the main thing! Personally I love my Dark Terror, but there are people on this forum who are almost speechless at the fact I got rid of a Rockerverb for it :)

Well it's a bit fizzy at low volumes but when it's at volume 5/4 it stops beeing fizzy and transforms in a beast!
Well if you got rid of a Rockerverb to buy a Dark Terror that's your taste and i respect that man, keep rocking :D

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:29 pm

I've been here a few years. There's been lots who love em, lots not so much. I'm a not so much, but I don't dislike the amp. I owned one for a week, the gain channel just didn't do it for me. The shape knob just wasn't enough for me. I'm not high on the chinese quality control either. Seen a few issues here and there.

richardfirebird
Tiny Terror

Post by richardfirebird » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:33 pm

Jondog wrote:I've been here a few years. There's been lots who love em, lots not so much. I'm a not so much, but I don't dislike the amp. I owned one for a week, the gain channel just didn't do it for me. The shape knob just wasn't enough for me. I'm not high on the chinese quality control either. Seen a few issues here and there.

can you tell me what issues u founded?

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:24 pm

richardfirebird wrote:
Jondog wrote:I've been here a few years. There's been lots who love em, lots not so much. I'm a not so much, but I don't dislike the amp. I owned one for a week, the gain channel just didn't do it for me. The shape knob just wasn't enough for me. I'm not high on the chinese quality control either. Seen a few issues here and there.

can you tell me what issues u founded?
Not so much on the TH30 as I only had it a week, but I did notice when I had it that it was using the Dual Terror transformers, which aren't bad, but when you look at the British made amps they use quality Demeters. I found the tube sockets not as solid either, or perhaps the PCB, to the chasis. On the Dual Terror I had, the screws holding the top on had different thread suzes from one screw to the next, so if they didn't go back in the proper hole they wouldn't fit or get stripped. I had two PPC112 cabs which were made in china and both of them had bubbles in the tolex, one had the grill cloth on a little crooked also the tolex were different shades of orange, I'd like to say that maybe one had sun on it or something, but it was a different shade on all sides, even underneath. Another noted thing on the dual terror (probably the other Chinese made amps), I don't trust the cheap terminal connectors they use. I noticed one coming off when I had it opened up one time. Alot of Orange amps use terminal connectors, but in my Rockerverb and my Rocker they are good solid ones that require a clip to be pushed in to get them off.

everdrone
Orange Expert

Post by everdrone » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:15 am

great price and I am interested in the power scaling

I would not ever need that amount of gain on tap tho

I really want them to make a thunderverb 100 or or80 reissue tho, I guess I will hold out for that :D
My solo downtuned HEAVY rock project: https://soundcloud.com/earthalliance

Guitarist and Bassist in Fort Worth, TEXAS

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:22 am

everdrone wrote:great price and I am interested in the power scaling

I would not ever need that amount of gain on tap tho

I really want them to make a thunderverb 100 or or80 reissue tho, I guess I will hold out for that :D
The thunderverb is either 50 watt or 200watt. Since 200 is pretty obscene I would suggest the 50. I have one and it is a cool amp.
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc
Mesa Boogie wide body 1x12
Gibson Les Paul custom black beauty(maple Fretboard)
Gibson Les Paul custom 58 vos
Gibson les Paul custom 57 vos

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:14 am

I think I can speak for the majority here, but at the very least, I'll speak for myself:

We don't hate the TH series. In fact, we think they're pretty solid amps that were designed towards modern players. I, personally, think they're pretty cool, and I probably fall into the category of a modern player. The fact is, most of the posters here prefer vintage-styled Orange amps (aka. fuzz over fizz). We don't come to Orange for super clean cleans, need that much gain, and also prefer a full EQ on our dirty channels.

Sure, the TH series can pull off vintage Orange tones, but they aren't as flexible to fine tune in that particular realm. For these reasons, not many of us have invested the money, or time, required to test and publicize these amps on the board. So, for the most part, they don't get a lot of press here.

In my book, both amps are great (and I particularly think the TH100 is a well designed amp, and arguably, in theory, the most versatile Orange ever produced), but going from super heavy to ultra-clean with tremendous power scaling options is not really a requirement of mine. I like cleans with a little hair and vintage Orange overdrive.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:26 am

I tried out the TH30. My findings are that it's a pretty decent amp. The clean channel is amazing. The dirty channel sounded ok, a little overly compressed and has too much gain for me. It didn't seem quite as "fat" as other Oranges I've played. More geared towards the more modern style metal crowd me thinks, which is totally cool, but not for me. Basically I'd much rather have a used R30 for the same price, which I do!

Dave666
Orange Hero

Post by Dave666 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:09 am

I don't like the SHAPE knob.....
Orange Rocker30C loaded with a Creamback 65
Zilla Super Fatboy 2x12 loaded with Creamnback 65's
Gibson Flying-V - PRS Mira S2

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:46 pm

I Personnaly really liked the TH30 clean channel when I tried it - i broke up really nicely really early, a pleasure, I thought it ridiculously good.

It would obviously stay cleaner a lot longer with single coils.

The dirty channel I could live with - loads of gain, but you don't need to use it all. Note sure about the shape knob, though I'm sure its simplistic nature solves a fair bit knob twitching.

Certainly, if a great deal came my way, I'd consider it VERY seriously.

I would have no use for the 100w version though. Never heard anything about it before you reported on it.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Gray
Orange Expert

Post by Gray » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:11 pm

TH30 is ridiculously overpriced for being made in the PRC.