Can somebody explain me why you guys dont like the TH100/30?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

jason41224
Orange Master

Re: Can somebody explain me why you guys dont like the TH100

Post by jason41224 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:00 pm

indianDYsummer wrote:I think I can speak for the majority here, but at the very least, I'll speak for myself:

We don't hate the TH series. In fact, we think they're pretty solid amps that were designed towards modern players. I, personally, think they're pretty cool, and I probably fall into the category of a modern player. The fact is, most of the posters here prefer vintage-styled Orange amps (aka. fuzz over fizz). We don't come to Orange for super clean cleans, need that much gain, and also prefer a full EQ on our dirty channels.
this exactly. recently orange has tried to expand their niche audiences to more modern metal players. so when they release an amp that is more geared towards higher gain tones, it's difficult to expect the players who are more fans of the lower gain AD30, Rocker 30, Tiny Terror (and the music those amps produce) to get excited about it. doesn't mean it's a bad amp or that we have any 'hate' towards it. me personally, i wouldn't play one for the reasons above; the cleans are too clean for my taste and the distortion was rather fizzy when i tried it. but that's my loss because i just prefer different things.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

richardfirebird
Tiny Terror

Post by richardfirebird » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:49 pm

It's very interesting your opinions some people hate them , some people like them.
Im gonna be honest i think that is great that Orange are making new products with diferent sounds, because let's face it Orange is a great company with a lot of years of experience, made superb amps and stilll do them, and i have to say Orange is becoming a brand that as a better sound then many hi gain amps out there like boogie,soldano etc...
My amp is made in china ( or whatever) but still the quality of an orange is still there it is a real orange, not like marshall that all of the amp is almost made os plastic and tolex that sucks! Marshall as become very low in terms of quality
And Orange doesnt do that, this amp is good is well made in fact i opened it up yesterday and the board inside as the UK flag how cool is that?
Orange is a bit overpriced but once you turn on the amp you forget the price
Don't get me wrong i love Orange valve amps of any kind of them because the breed quality

"I killed a man 'cause he killed my goat
I put my hands around his throat
He tried to reason with the sky and the clouds
But it didn't matter, 'cause they can't hear a sound
It's just the curl of the burl"

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:50 pm

If I wanted an amp with a more modern, saturated tone I'd get a TH30/100. I think some of the beef with these amps are that it represents an new era in Orange which kind of takes them away from the classic, boutiqu-esque style they always had.

JackoMBA
Orange Hero

Post by JackoMBA » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:46 pm

Some of us really like the TH30.

I have a TH30 and love it because of the over the top gain. My favorite style of music is 80's thrash, so you can see why I'd like the TH30.

I had a Dual Terror but always cranked the gain to 10 and wished it could go further. I loved it for crunch tones but not for palm muting mayhem. Now I have the TH30 and it can do some great crunch tones (shape knob in the left region) and back off the gain, and high gain thrash stuff with the shape knob towards the right. I love the shape knob so I'm not always tweaking for a better sound. Just play with what you got.

Despite being a high gain junkie, I still only go to about 1 o'clock on the TH30. And of course there's the 7/15/30 watt settings, effects loop and badass clean channel. I personally don't care if it's made in China; I've never had any issues with it.
Amps: Orange TH30, Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier, Eleven Rack, Peavey Vypyr Tube 60.
Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard LE (Manhattan Midnight blue), Greco white LP, Burny honeyburst LP, PRS Torero.

Jackson5
Tiny Terror

Post by Jackson5 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:06 pm

i got a great deal on my TH 30 second hand-- it is extremely versatile and i really like it
so many power options

sizzlingbadger
Orange Hero

Post by sizzlingbadger » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:31 pm

I had a TH30, loved it, great amp. The only thing I think that would improve it would be to replace the Shape control with Bass & Treble controls. You can of course put an EQ in the loop which would do the same thing.

dampoldman

Post by dampoldman » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:22 pm

Bit late to the party I know, but I love my TH30 - perfect for what I do and versatile too. Can do super clean and monstrously heavy. The in between tones don't always hit the spot, but I bought it for what it can do, so I'm not bothered about what it can't.

Jabberwocky
Orange Expert

Post by Jabberwocky » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:21 pm

Hi Richardfirebird
Welcome to the forum, and if you play an Orange you are among friends here. You dont need me to tell you that every player chooses the amp that just sings to them. If the TH range is the one for you then more power to you mate. If everyone on here has said they hated the R30 I would still have bought it cos I knew it was the sound I wanted. Enjoy the TH100, and in fact post some sound bytes......I would love to hear that puppy. My local music shop does not stock it!
Fender USA Standard Stratocaster
Gordon Smith Galaxy
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Faith Jupiter Jumbo Acoustic
Orange Rocker 30 HD
Orange Micro Terror
Orange PPC 212 OB
Lead
Plectrum
Attitude
Sorted!

jeffp

Post by jeffp » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:30 pm

I have the th30. I don't know about everything like some. But I like mine so far. I don't like the shape either but a good eq in the loop fixes that right away.I read and research quite a bit, and with the R30 no longer available at present it seemed to be the best choice for me.the part about made in china I don't like but it is what it is. The AD30 has no effects loop,the OR50 has no effects loop and one channell. I bought mine for 7,15,30w,effects loop,and two channels. Class a and no need for rebias ever is nice two. I have the ppc112 also. I don't care for footing. I plan on buying another and stacking them. Hope that works out. Sure hope they match too! After reading the reviews if the R30 was still available I would have bought it without question but its not so be it.

jeffp

Post by jeffp » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:30 pm

And if I upgrade it will be made in uk just for peace of mind.