Need info and advice

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

wrath
Orange Hero

Need info and advice

Post by wrath » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:03 pm

I'm trying to sell my OR120 Overdrive since I use my Rockerverb 50 practicaly all the time. The market is slow, so I'm also up for a trade. A guy called me the other day and wants to trade a Johnson electric guitar for the amp. I set the value of the amp at 1000 euros and he says the guitar is also worth that much. Since I don't have much experience with Johnson guitars I don't really know what I'm dealing with here. I saw that they are much cheaper than 1000 euros these days, but this seems to be an older model...it also has 70's Gibson pickups. Could someone please shed a light on these guitars and tell me if this is a good trade? I could use another guitar, but I do know that I'm probably never get my hands on another OR120....still it's a shame to see it my room without anyone using it. I could also use money, but I'm having a really hard time selling this at a normal price. this is the guitar in question:
Amplification: 70s OR120 Overdrive, Rockerverb 50 MKI, Rockerverb 100 MKII, PPC412
Axes: Tokai Love Rock LS-80, ESP LTD Viper 400
Synth: Novation Bass Station II

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Re: Need info and advice

Post by Randy Bass » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:35 am

Based on the logo, I'd say the guitar is no more than 15-20 years old. Johnsons are very cheap in the U.S. and have poor resale value. They mostly make beginner guitars. Although that is a nicer model, I could not imagine it being worth 1/4 of the OR120. The pickups might be worth more than the guitar itself if they are genuine T-Tops or something though. It would definitely be a lot harder to find a buyer for that guitar than for the OR120.

bavaro
Orange Hero

Post by bavaro » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:52 am

johnson's are definitely budget guitar. there was a shop where i live that used to sell them, and they never had a tag higher than $250. dont do it!!

similar guitar, sans Gibson pickups:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JOHNSON-SUPERNO ... 458wt_1378" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rocker 30
strymon el cap
tc polytune
apogee one
harpoon hefeweizen

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:20 am

If at all possible you want to hang on to good gear right now. You simply won't get anything like what it is worth until the economic crisis has turned the corner. If you do have to sell it, sell it for money, not unwanted swaps.

No way would I do that trade. Were you looking for one of those guitars? No! Is it a total bargain? No! Leave well alone. That guy is just out for a bargain at your expense!!!

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

wrath
Orange Hero

Post by wrath » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:40 am

after doing some research and talking with some friends i basically found out what you confirmed here...it's a cheap guitar...the guy didn't even get back to me cuz he probably figured i'll find that out.

btw. do you think i'm asking too much money for my amp? i set the value at 1000 euros when it comes to trade, but i'm asking around 730 in cash. the picture of the amp is in my sig...the case has been modded, the tolex was stripped and painted green (by one of the previous owners), but the insides are in great shape and original and it sounds like a monster. it's just ugly. :)
Amplification: 70s OR120 Overdrive, Rockerverb 50 MKI, Rockerverb 100 MKII, PPC412

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:02 am

It's GREEN??? (Didn't look closely and thought it was black!)

I don't really follow the s/h prices that closely, but if it was the right colour that'd seem crazy cheap to me. Thing is it is green and s/h prices have dropped so much the past couple of years that I really don't know what people would pay for it. You might just have to be patient and wait for the right buyer who is into doing a refinish project.

Tell you what though, forget ugly, if it was actually green vinyl instead of paint that sort of darkish 'British Racing Green' shade would look fantastic IMO.

Andy.

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

nlimbaugh
Orange Master

Post by nlimbaugh » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:34 pm

Don't sell/trade the OR120. Especially if it works :lol: . 730 euros... I'd sell stuff to buy it and I don't even need it. Seriously, If I just couldn't use it for some reason, I'd want a vintage 70's Gibson guitar worth $2000USD street price in trade at least, LP traditional, Custom, or quality ES series stuff.
Last edited by nlimbaugh on Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:42 pm

Slap some white basketweave (Vox/Hiwatt) tolex on your headsleeve and you'll have to beat potential buyers off with your bare hands!

wrath
Orange Hero

Post by wrath » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:13 am

yeah, I'm less and less convinced I want to sell it...When I get some extra money I'll get some new tolex. I think this one is pretty close to the original http://www.mojotone.com/amp-parts/tolex ... ange-Tolex" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. how much yards do you think I should get for covering the head?

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:35 am

If you want to do it properly with only one seam at the bottom, you probably need two yards of material. That is the closest material to genuine Orange Vynide that I've seen. You would probably get the best resale value with the orange color, but they did make black ones back then too.

wrath
Orange Hero

Post by wrath » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:00 pm

Thanks man...when I gather some money I'll do a full remont of the amp...changing the caps, resistors and preamp valves. Do you think installing a standby switch will decrease it's value?

Alex Sheeny
Rocker

Post by Alex Sheeny » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:25 pm

damn, I'd buy it instead of my RV100... definitely..

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:06 pm

wrath wrote:Thanks man...when I gather some money I'll do a full remont of the amp...changing the caps, resistors and preamp valves. Do you think installing a standby switch will decrease it's value?
Only if you do something irreversible like drilling a new hole to do it. Many have used the slave out socket on the back but the best way IMO is to use a 3 position switch for Mains Off / Standby / Play.

Andy.