Moen GEC9 loop system - gotta get me one

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

hitgar
Orange Hero

Re: Moen GEC9 loop system - gotta get me one

Post by hitgar » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:31 pm

People complain about the Rocktron making really loud pops when you engage the switches which is why I've stayed away from these TB Loopers. How is the Moen?

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:10 pm

i'm glad this thread got brought up again, it's what really got me to start the hunt for a small, neat, simple programmable true bypass looper. i guess i might as well report back on what i ended up with:

http://www.disasterareaamps.com/shop/dpc-5

it's a Disaster Area DPC-5. 5 loops, MIDI capabilities, 5 presets plus the bypass signal can be configured to have certain loops on all the time (way cool if you ask me), and a footswitch control that can be assigned to presets. it's not wired up in the picture (i was doing a little rearranging the other day), but you get the idea. I liked the Moen, but i thought it was too big and i didn't need all 8 loops for what i need. so I did a little bit of digging and these came out right around christmas. I got serial #002 (in fact, you can see mine in the pictures on the website as the "robot silver sparkle)

basically i use it as dirt pedal switcher. i have four dirt boxes, and i like to stack them sometimes, so to go from one dirt preset to another meant at the very minimum turning one pedal on and another one off...and usually it was more complex than that. this gets rid of that, i can go from clean to breakup to full overdrive to distortion to fuzz to solo boost, all in one click. seems simple, but this was the smallest, most streamlined box on the market that i could find that did this...most systems that do this are usually twice the size.

oh, and bonus points for coolness: it's got full midi in/out, so when my band had a mini-tour a couple of months ago, i was able to run a MIDI cord from my laptop running Mainstage and i was able to map out exactly when in a song i would switch dirt (and delay) patches...the pedalboard literally played itself, save for the volume, reverb, and POG. if that isn't cool, i don't know what else is.

anyways, for y'all who are looking, i can't reccomend it enough.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

The Lo Lands
Tiny Terror

Post by The Lo Lands » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:27 am

hitgar wrote:People complain about the Rocktron making really loud pops when you engage the switches which is why I've stayed away from these TB Loopers. How is the Moen?
The Moen is definitely not making really LOUD pops! On some occasions by switching between drive, boost, high gain channel and compression pedal settings you can hear a slight click/pop. This has all to do with the DC current and volume differences between the pedals i think. I also had this with my buffered G Lab looper and the true bypass Buzz Electronics looper. Some pedals are also more sensitive for popping. A buffer in front and at the end of the chain is also a good way to help minimize popping issues. The Moen has a buffered in- and output for this setup. For my setup i use the non buffered input because the Morley Wah in front of the Moen has a great build-in buffer! Hope this helps?
Listen to the music:

http://thelolandsmusic.bandpage.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.youtube.com/user/thelolands1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;