EDIT: Thunderverb 50 on the way!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

DiabloS
Orange Master

EDIT: Thunderverb 50 on the way!

Post by DiabloS » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:28 pm

I REALLY love my Rocker 30, but I'm not a huge fan of the Natural channel and hardly ever use it. I'm wondering if I'd be happier with a Thunderverb 50, it would definitely be way more versatile and I'd probably use both channels, plus I'd have reverb, attenuator and an effects loop. I've never played a TV50 and up to just recently I thought it would be too gainy/fuzzy for me, but I've seen a few demos of people using channel A and it seems to give a really good classic rock crunch! I've also heard a few people here say they can get the TV50 to get pretty close to the Rocker 30's sound, anyone with experience with the Thunderverb 50 care to chime in?
Last edited by DiabloS on Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Re: Rocker 30 or Thunderverb 50?

Post by OrangePaul » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:30 pm

Are you sure you've come to the right forum? :lol:
Paul.

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:55 pm

I own both and they are definately a little different, however you can get nice classic sounds out of the TV. It will get close to the rocker, don't expect it to sound just like it or you will be disappointed. However it will cover roughly the same territory. IMO if I had to choose one of the 2, it would be the TV because it is much more versatile and has more features. Also I a, not a metal player, so I keep my TV on nice classic crunch in channel A and clean with maybe just a hinge of breakup in channel B
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc
Mesa Boogie wide body 1x12
Gibson Les Paul custom black beauty(maple Fretboard)
Gibson Les Paul custom 58 vos
Gibson les Paul custom 57 vos

Motorhead1978

Post by Motorhead1978 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:03 pm

well i have a tv50 and have been thinking about getting rid of it for a th100 or a jet city jca 100. but after watching the 2 review videos of the th100 i am gonna keep it. i just ordered 2 speakers to "X" in my cab from wgs to alter the tone a little bit. i will say channel A on the tv50 reminds me of a jcm 800 ish/ maybe a little mesa green channel ish. the only way i can get my eq to really even react is to put my keely modded ts9 in front of it. B channel is more modern/fuzz type gain which I really like.

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:26 pm

OrangePaul wrote:Are you sure you've come to the right forum? :lol:
Yeah, I thought this forum was about fascism and gun control. :lol:

I like the R30 better than the TV50, but the only reason I can give is that I just plain ole' like the R30 voicing better. For me it's a try before you buy opinion. Sure the TV50 has better options, but if you don't like the voicing as well what's the point? If you like the voicing better, which I'm sure many do, then great.

Let us know what you do.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

DiabloS
Orange Master

Rocker 30 or Thunderverb 50?

Post by DiabloS » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:34 pm

I wish I could try it in person, but there are no stores anywhere near here that carry them. The tone between the 5 and 6 minute mark on this demo video sounds really tasty!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDckcr_5Iu4

I usually use the gain around 2 o'clock on the Rocker for a heavy crunch kind of sound, can someone try to explain what the difference would be with a TV50 using around the same amount of gain for a heavy crunch? Is one amp more articulate or brighter/darker than the other?
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:40 pm

DiabloS wrote:I wish I could try it in person, but there are no stores anywhere near here that carry them. The tone between the 5 and 6 minute mark on this demo video sounds really tasty!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDckcr_5Iu4

I usually use the gain around 2 o'clock on the Rocker for a heavy crunch kind of sound, can someone try to explain what the difference would be with a TV50 using around the same amount of gain for a heavy crunch? Is one amp more articulate or brighter/darker than the other?
I'll crank both up when I get a chance and give you the best explanation I can...
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc

howdy-doo
Orange Master

Post by howdy-doo » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:24 pm

If you're wanting to get an amp that's pretty close to the R30 in sound, then keeping the R30 is the best bet! :lol: I mean what's gonna sound closer to an R30 than the amp itself. Just try an EQ pedal on the natural channel, if you like it then you've saved yourself some money, if you don't, well you can never have too many pedals!
Liam

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:37 pm

howdy-doo wrote:If you're wanting to get an amp that's pretty close to the R30 in sound, then keeping the R30 is the best bet! :lol: I mean what's gonna sound closer to an R30 than the amp itself. Just try an EQ pedal on the natural channel, if you like it then you've saved yourself some money, if you don't, well you can never have too many pedals!
You mean not toying with the notion that there is another amp out there that might sound better and better suit your needs... Unheard of :D
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:56 pm

The TV50 wouldn't HAVE to sound just like a Rocker 30, it would just be less risky to buy one without trying knowing that I can get a sound that's close enough to it if I don't find any other tones in there that I like even better. As much as I love my Rocker 30, I only use it as a home practice amp and can't see myself using it in a band situation for a few reasons, one being that I can't use the Natural channel for anything useful without adding a few more pedals and I like to keep things simple on my pedalboard. I also really only use it for one sound and once in a while just for fun I wouldn't mind having lots of gain or a more fuzzed out tone just to play around with without needing pedals. An FX loop could come in handy, I like the fact that either channel on the TV50 could be set up as clean or dirty. If ever I join or start another band, the TV50 could cover almost anything from clean to doomy stoner fuzz better than my DT or Rocker 30. There's just so many advantages but it's still a tough decision cause the Rocker 30 sounds so good when I play it at home.

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:17 am

DiabloS wrote:The TV50 wouldn't HAVE to sound just like a Rocker 30, it would just be less risky to buy one without trying knowing that I can get a sound that's close enough to it if I don't find any other tones in there that I like even better. As much as I love my Rocker 30, I only use it as a home practice amp and can't see myself using it in a band situation for a few reasons, one being that I can't use the Natural channel for anything useful without adding a few more pedals and I like to keep things simple on my pedalboard. I also really only use it for one sound and once in a while just for fun I wouldn't mind having lots of gain or a more fuzzed out tone just to play around with without needing pedals. An FX loop could come in handy, I like the fact that either channel on the TV50 could be set up as clean or dirty. If ever I join or start another band, the TV50 could cover almost anything from clean to doomy stoner fuzz better than my DT or Rocker 30. There's just so many advantages but it's still a tough decision cause the Rocker 30 sounds so good when I play it at home.

If that's the case I think the TV would work well, it gets in the same ballpark, and can sound very classic if set up right.. As someone else said it is just voiced a little different, the reverb is a very nice added feature and you can get better cleans. Channel B will go all out fuzz if that what you want, I tweak it and make it my clean, I also use the rocker for home use only. I just never have been able to make it fit into the mix for live playing and u have the clean channel problem, jut it is very unique and sounds great by itself at home.
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc

everdrone
Orange Expert

Post by everdrone » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:27 am

DiabloS wrote:I REALLY love my Rocker 30, but I'm not a huge fan of the Natural channel and hardly ever use it. I'm wondering if I'd be happier with a Thunderverb 50, it would definitely be way more versatile and I'd probably use both channels, plus I'd have reverb, attenuator and an effects loop. I've never played a TV50 and up to just recently I thought it would be too gainy/fuzzy for me, but I've seen a few demos of people using channel A and it seems to give a really good classic rock crunch! I've also heard a few people here say they can get the TV50 to get pretty close to the Rocker 30's sound, anyone with experience with the Thunderverb 50 care to chime in?
your music http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is heavy and chugging, you deserve more than 30 watts! you deserve more low end of the tv50 so treat urself :)
My solo downtuned HEAVY rock project: https://soundcloud.com/earthalliance

Guitarist and Bassist in Fort Worth, TEXAS

howdy-doo
Orange Master

Post by howdy-doo » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:47 am

DiabloS wrote:The TV50 wouldn't HAVE to sound just like a Rocker 30, it would just be less risky to buy one without trying knowing that I can get a sound that's close enough to it if I don't find any other tones in there that I like even better. As much as I love my Rocker 30, I only use it as a home practice amp and can't see myself using it in a band situation for a few reasons, one being that I can't use the Natural channel for anything useful without adding a few more pedals and I like to keep things simple on my pedalboard. I also really only use it for one sound and once in a while just for fun I wouldn't mind having lots of gain or a more fuzzed out tone just to play around with without needing pedals. An FX loop could come in handy, I like the fact that either channel on the TV50 could be set up as clean or dirty. If ever I join or start another band, the TV50 could cover almost anything from clean to doomy stoner fuzz better than my DT or Rocker 30. There's just so many advantages but it's still a tough decision cause the Rocker 30 sounds so good when I play it at home.
Well it sounds like you already know what you want so I'll say get the TV50! Just remember to post pics when it arrives :lol:
Liam

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:04 am

I found an old post here from a few happy TV50 owners and one of them said channel A on the TV50 can get about 95% close to the FAT channel on the DT.... only it has a bit more balls. That was about all I needed to hear to I made an offer through email late last night on a barely used TV50. Still waiting for a reply though... hopefully it's not sold already!

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:59 pm

DiabloS wrote:I found an old post here from a few happy TV50 owners and one of them said channel A on the TV50 can get about 95% close to the FAT channel on the DT.... only it has a bit more balls. That was about all I needed to hear to I made an offer through email late last night on a barely used TV50. Still waiting for a reply though... hopefully it's not sold already!

Wow.. Cool, I hope you get it's a great amp
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc