bound vs. unbound guitars

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

nlimbaugh
Orange Master

bound vs. unbound guitars

Post by nlimbaugh » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:15 am

I've never played a guitar without binding and suppose I should, but I was wondsring if there was a big difference in feel between the two. Does unbound make moving quickly up and down the neck difficult or uncomfortable? Just curious because I've been looking at a guitar without binding.

Gray
Orange Expert

Re: bound vs. unbound guitars

Post by Gray » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:23 am

I've never noticed or felt a difference on guitars with neck binding and I have a couple of each. Body binding makes a world of difference when it comes to comfort, in my experience.

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:07 am

binding sucks tone... unless you can get oxygen free true bypass binding... preferebly NOS...
LIKE SPACE ROCK? = VAN CLEEF @ BANDCAMP http://vancleef.bandcamp.com/

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:12 am

I have owned a few Les Paul studios without binding and I don't think it made much of a difference as far as the way it played compared to my standard with binding. But I never could get as comfortable with them for whatever reason.
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc
Mesa Boogie wide body 1x12
Gibson Les Paul custom black beauty(maple Fretboard)
Gibson Les Paul custom 58 vos
Gibson les Paul custom 57 vos

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:02 am

Van Cleef wrote:binding sucks tone... unless you can get oxygen free true bypass binding... preferebly NOS...
I generally have any binding on my Gibsons chipped off with a stone before replacing it with NOS 1957 binding.
That gives it the NOS tone and the road worn look.

Sounds amazing through my handbuilt ptp Fender champ clone. All the guys at the local blues bar agree and say that as soon as they pass their bar exam they will be copying my rig!
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:26 am

OU818 wrote:
Van Cleef wrote:binding sucks tone... unless you can get oxygen free true bypass binding... preferebly NOS...
I generally have any binding on my Gibsons chipped off with a stone before replacing it with NOS 1957 binding.

Sounds amazing through my handbuilt ptp Fender champ clone. All the guys at the local blues bar agree and say that as soon as they pass their bar exam they will be copying my rig!
I have 2gibson les Paul standards and I don't even know where you would find NOS 57 binding. Where do you get it and are u saying it makes the guitar play better.
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc
Mesa Boogie wide body 1x12
Gibson Les Paul custom black beauty(maple Fretboard)
Gibson Les Paul custom 58 vos
Gibson les Paul custom 57 vos

Gray
Orange Expert

Post by Gray » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:50 am

OU818 wrote:Sounds amazing through my handbuilt ptp Fender champ clone. All the guys at the local blues bar agree and say that as soon as they pass their bar exam they will be copying my rig!
I laughed uncontrollably at this.

starling1
Rocker

Post by starling1 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:10 am

OU818 wrote:

Win.

mr_william
Orange Master

Post by mr_william » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:39 am

so on a serious note, isn't binding plastic placed around the edge of the guitar or neck - either or both.

on some cheeper guitars (epiphones?) it's painted on isn't it?

on the body, it's surely just an aesthetic thing? on the neck, it'd effect the feel a little?

i'd say leave it.
Will.
Bink wrote:Will you're a genius!! :D
Randy Bass wrote:For the record, mr_william is a genius :D .

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:00 am

nlimbaugh wrote:I've never played a guitar without binding and suppose I should, but I was wondsring if there was a big difference in feel between the two. Does unbound make moving quickly up and down the neck difficult or uncomfortable? Just curious because I've been looking at a guitar without binding.
Get a Fender! :wink:

Binding is purely decorative and doesn't make a blind bit of difference to the speed of a neck IMO. If your fret ends are properly finished they don't need hidden. Just posh is all that is.

What does make a difference to the feel is if the board edges are a little rounded. ('Rolled edges'?) There is a trend towards this, and I must admit I've done this myself to most of my guitar and bass necks. I don't have any fancy bound necks so it was easy to do. :D

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:45 am

mr_william wrote:so on a serious note, isn't binding plastic placed around the edge of the guitar or neck - either or both.

on some cheeper guitars (epiphones?) it's painted on isn't it?

on the body, it's surely just an aesthetic thing? on the neck, it'd effect the feel a little?

i'd say leave it.

Binding on a guitar body fulfils a protective function - the edges are most likely to get dings in, the binding is a little harder to ding than the wood.

It does look beautiful on some guitars too - if I ever buy a telecaster, it will be a bound body one, probably black or one of their "can't remember the colour name" burst - just because between the binding and a bigsby, they look sexy as hell!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:
On les pauls too, I find most studio can a look a little bare without binding - though the faded varieties tend to fare better IMO.

As for neck - I think there is a definite confort thing going with my LP's neck - it's very smooth to play, nd the binding plays its part in it.

That said, my Vigier Expert's neck (full maple) is unbound and absolutely lovely to play.
A well made neck is a well made neck.

And binding Gibson type, with the fret nibs, makes changing frets a total pain in the arse, and you will be accused of selling a fake if you try to shoft it later on.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:48 am

OU818 wrote:
I generally have any binding on my Gibsons chipped off with a stone before replacing it with NOS 1957 binding.That gives it the NOS tone and the road worn look.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I really hope you were using a period correct stone - otherwise that tone improvement exercise has become butchery of a fine instrument....... :lol:
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:08 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:
OU818 wrote:
I generally have any binding on my Gibsons chipped off with a stone before replacing it with NOS 1957 binding.That gives it the NOS tone and the road worn look.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I really hope you were using a period correct stone - otherwise that tone improvement exercise has become butchery of a fine instrument....... :lol:
Hand selected by only the hairiest Neanderthals.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

Dark Helmet
Orange Master

Post by Dark Helmet » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:51 pm

coffee.... everywhere...

and between my currently-working pair (GibsonCC and Epi LPC) the next binding over the fret-ends on the gibson improves the feel a bit by making it a little smoother...

the ends on the LPC aren't rolled smooth, but they aren't chunky-harsh either, but the Gibson is noticably smoother. some of that may also be the nitro finish wearing in.
Dark Lord of the Schwartz
AD15/12
AD30TC
AD50
AD140
Thunderverb50

2016 Gibson LP Standard
2012 Gibson LP Classic Custom
2017 Gibson Firebird Studio T
Epi Les Paul (used to be) Standard
2018 Taylor 616CE

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:48 pm

Ha ha ha ha! Funny thread.

Seriously, what I do notice is that guitars with binding have sharp-ish corners and when I play, I tend to rub against it and sometimes get what looks like road-rash! A lot of non-binding guitars have more rounded edges and are more comfortable...