Anyone make a good load box these days?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Anyone make a good load box these days?

Post by Thinline_slim » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:06 am

I've been thinking about this group I play with who all go direct and it got me thinking, I could keep all of my Orange amp goodness while still going direct. All I would need it a dummy load and a direct box/speaker simulator. There's quite a number of DI/simulators on the market but short of the Weber or THD hot plate I don't know of many load boxes out there.

Any ideas?
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Re: Anyone make a good load box these days?

Post by baytamusic » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:08 am

Perfect set up. Who's gonna come through?

bavaro
Orange Hero

Post by bavaro » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:17 am

heres a cool speaker sim review a friend showed me a while back:

http://www.franknitsch.com/speaker-sims/recordings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rocker 30
strymon el cap
tc polytune
apogee one
harpoon hefeweizen

hitgar
Orange Hero

Post by hitgar » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:42 am

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/I ... uator.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think this looks great. It allows your signal to pass through to a cab attenuated so you can still monitor yourself but send the DI to the board.

I'll be getting on of these when it becomes available. Right now I have their 212 with the DI built into the back but there is no attenuation.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifie ... binet-200w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:24 am

hitgar wrote:http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/I ... uator.aspx

I think this looks great. It allows your signal to pass through to a cab attenuated so you can still monitor yourself but send the DI to the board.

I'll be getting on of these when it becomes available. Right now I have their 212 with the DI built into the back but there is no attenuation.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifie ... binet-200w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Other than being an attenuator someone please explain to me exactly what this thing is suppose to do?
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc
Mesa Boogie wide body 1x12
Gibson Les Paul custom black beauty(maple Fretboard)
Gibson Les Paul custom 58 vos
Gibson les Paul custom 57 vos

hitgar
Orange Hero

Post by hitgar » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:34 am

:D Yes confusing at first glance.
1- You can use it as a DI without an amp by using the input at the top and the mic sim out to a board.
2- You can put it between your amp and cab using the ohm specific inputs which also allows you to use the attenuation.
3- Same as above but also send the mic sim out to a board so you can monitor yourself from the cab but the sound guy can control a line signal for your mix

And that is all I can figure out.

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:35 am

katy perry.

edit: sorry, i was half asleep when i wrote this. carry on
Last edited by jason41224 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

guilleonline
Orange Hero

Post by guilleonline » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:04 am

Thinline_slim wrote:I've been thinking about this group I play with who all go direct and it got me thinking, I could keep all of my Orange amp goodness while still going direct. All I would need it a dummy load and a direct box/speaker simulator. There's quite a number of DI/simulators on the market but short of the Weber or THD hot plate I don't know of many load boxes out there.

Any ideas?
I think I,ll make your day. The best piece of gear for this is called the LoadBox II and it's made by a german company called Koch. Aside of making outstanding amps they make this dummy load/ attenuator that is by far way better than the thd hot plate. It was used to cost almost $600 bucks but now is only $350 or so. You can use it also for direct recording and going through it to an speaker at the same time.

The draw back to it is that it comes in either 4, 8, or 16 ohms. So if you have a Fender and an Orange you would need to purchase to different units since most fender amps run at 4ohms and Oranges run at 16 ohms.

There are also two cheaper versions of this dummy load, one I think is called the 'studio' and the other the 'home version' or something like that. Main difference been the recording outputs ( one takes 1/4 inch and the other balanced XLR) and also the jacks for the output to speaker. On the original unit you more options to scale down the power. Ln this two cheaper models your only choice is to Really bring it down. To like 5%, 3%, or 1%.

Sorry for all the words here but I really think is a piece of ear worth checking out. Top notch components make for great gear. And this one has all the bells.
There is nothing like a fender clean, but there is nothing like an orange crunch

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:30 pm

bavaro wrote:heres a cool speaker sim review a friend showed me a while back:

http://www.franknitsch.com/speaker-sims/recordings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Very cool, I'll try to listen to these tonight, thanks!

Thanks for all the suggestions. The Koch looks like it would do the trick but it seems to no longer be in production or isn't readily available in the states so I think that strikes it from the list.

I think I may have found my solution. I've been eying the new Bad Cad Unleash unit that acts as both a attenuator and re-amping device but the president of BC let me know on another forum that it can be used as a full load as well so it should cover what I'm looking to do as long as I add a nice speaker emulator to the chain.

I've been looking at it pretty seriously since it was announced since I like the idea that I can crank up my TT to 75-100w as a clean amp. With the Unleash I don't have to ever ask "How much clean head room does it have?"
Jake
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:36 pm

jason41224 wrote:katy perry.
I was thinking the same thing! ;)

mr_william
Orange Master

Post by mr_william » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:44 pm

if i'm understanding what you're trying to do, the other alternative would be to use an isolation cab. basically a miced up speaker in a soundproof box.

maybe something to look at if you havent already - i havent tried one of these but it does seem like it'd work. maybe someone can chime in with experience of using one?
Will.
Bink wrote:Will you're a genius!! :D
Randy Bass wrote:For the record, mr_william is a genius :D .

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:18 pm

mr_william wrote:if i'm understanding what you're trying to do, the other alternative would be to use an isolation cab. basically a miced up speaker in a soundproof box.

maybe something to look at if you havent already - i havent tried one of these but it does seem like it'd work. maybe someone can chime in with experience of using one?
I made one myself quite a while ago. It wasn't killer but it definitely cut the volume by 60-70%. The only problem with an iso box is that they are so damned heavy! Carrying a 2x12 cab is bad enough but I would guess and iso box is going to be pushing what, 70-80 lbs?

I take that back, the Jet City is only 45 lbs..... Hmmmmmmmm, I like the cut of your jib.
Jake
"One of the 400"

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:00 pm

mr_william wrote:if i'm understanding what you're trying to do, the other alternative would be to use an isolation cab. basically a miced up speaker in a soundproof box.

I had the Jet City ISOCAB for a couple years and quite liked it. Just sold it a couple months ago simply because I wasn't using it much and I'm limited for space now. It comes with an Eminence Jet City speaker which is OK, I always wanted to swap it out for a G12 of some sort. I've cranked an RV50 through it, and it does a good job of cutting down the levels, maybe to a "loud bedroom" level, loud but not going to bother the neighbours much. If your on a hollow floor it will vibrate the floor quite a bit. Good build quality too. Actually sold it to a member of Canadian band Blue Rodeo.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:45 pm

guilleonline wrote:The best piece of gear for this is called the LoadBox II and it's made by a german company called Koch.
Dutch in fact! :wink:

Yeah, good gear.
http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.p ... 186#437186" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Actually all you'd need for a safe amplifier load is a suitable resistance large wattage resistor.

If the amp has two speaker outputs then putting that on one output (securely connected, with a suitable heatsink on the resistor!) and an H+K Red Box on the other would see you sorted. The Red Box has a very much higher input impedance so virtually none of the amp power would go to it. You could just use it as a speaker emulator DI line out! :D
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showpo ... stcount=22" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

sidvicious
Orange Master

Post by sidvicious » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:56 pm

katy perry?

sorry, randrew.
Orange TV50
Orange Rockerverb MkII 2x12 Combo
Orange DT
Orange AD5
Orange PPC212

Vox AC50
Vox AC30
Vox AC4
2 Vox NT's