Amp Noise Help

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Bandeapart
Orange Master

Amp Noise Help

Post by Bandeapart » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:00 am

Long time no talk - look at me only showing up when I need something.

Anyways, I need help identifying the cause of this noise on my AD30TC combo. Unfortunately, when I went to diagnose it, I accidentally pulled the head too hard and ripped the speaker cable and I've been too lazy to order a new one for many, many months. I've just been borrowing a bandmate's Fender twin combo instead.

I've finally decided to get my amp back in commission and I ordered a new planet waves speaker cable for it:

http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Waves-Male ... anet+waves" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now I need to figure out where this damn noise is coming from if any of you have a clue. Here is the noise ( I recorded it prior to ripping my speaker cable).

http://soundcloud.com/philrobles/amp-noise" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks everyone.
Orange AD30TC, Rickenbacker 360, 52RI Tele

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Re: Amp Noise Help

Post by a.hun » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:10 am

Hi Bandeapart.

Well it sounds like something on this list...

http://www.geofex.com/ampdbug/popping.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

May be a simple valve problem so try valve swapping first. Is it on both channels? If not that narrows it down to one preamp. If on both then it could be the power valves.

If that doesn't help a tech should be able to.

Good luck!

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Bandeapart
Orange Master

Post by Bandeapart » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:18 am

Thanks good sir. Yeah, both channels, I figured it was the power valves. I go through them like crazy in this death box of a combo. Sometimes I wish I had bought a 2x12 with separate AD30 head. Oh well.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:20 am

Yeah hopefully it is just the valves.

I know that combos can be a bit harder on valves, but there is an upside too. Because all valves are at least slightly microphonic and they are being shaken by the speaker(s) in a combo, you'll usually get a more open and lively sound than from the equivalent head. Combos sing a bit more! :D

http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.php?t=2241" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also EL84s are about the cheapest power valves out there, so that is good news too.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Bandeapart
Orange Master

Post by Bandeapart » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:19 pm

UPDATE:

My band is opening for Missing Persons tonight and I really wanted to get my Orange back in the works for the show. My Planet Waves speaker cable showed up, the quality is great, it's much sturdier, and it's longer than the stock one. It's now long enough to reach outside of the cabinet and connect to an external head so I can use my combo as a 2x12 cabinet now.

Anyways, in a last attempt to get my amp up and running, I decided to clean out the tube sockets hoping that dirt or something was just getting in the way of a good connection. I pulled out ye olde bottle of socket cleaner and sprayed away at the pins, inserting and removing them several times. I waited a bit for it to dry and fired up my amp again.

All is well in the world now, it's working. The noise is gone. The last time I swapped tubes I think I was in a hasty situation where I didn't have socket cleaner with me so I put a new set of tubes in without cleaning out the sockets.

May this be a lesson to all of us, if you ever take a tube out, you'd better be cleaning the socket in the process.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:56 am

Glad that worked out and a valuable lesson to us to maintain our amps...

chuckbat1
Tiny Terror

Post by chuckbat1 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:47 pm

Glad for you. Nothing like a happy Orange
Tiny Terror
TH30H
Orange PPC 1x12 Cabs

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:53 pm

Bandeapart wrote:UPDATE:

My band is opening for Missing Persons tonight and I really wanted to get my Orange back in the works for the show. My Planet Waves speaker cable showed up, the quality is great, it's much sturdier, and it's longer than the stock one. It's now long enough to reach outside of the cabinet and connect to an external head so I can use my combo as a 2x12 cabinet now.

Anyways, in a last attempt to get my amp up and running, I decided to clean out the tube sockets hoping that dirt or something was just getting in the way of a good connection. I pulled out ye olde bottle of socket cleaner and sprayed away at the pins, inserting and removing them several times. I waited a bit for it to dry and fired up my amp again.

All is well in the world now, it's working. The noise is gone. The last time I swapped tubes I think I was in a hasty situation where I didn't have socket cleaner with me so I put a new set of tubes in without cleaning out the sockets.

May this be a lesson to all of us, if you ever take a tube out, you'd better be cleaning the socket in the process.
Good news. Cool show you're playing too! Only a nobody walks in LA!