WHAT AMP OR GEAR "SHOULD" ORANGE MAKE ACCORDING TO YOU?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Re: WHAT AMP OR GEAR "SHOULD" ORANGE MAKE ACCORDING TO YOU?

Post by Thinline_slim » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:14 pm

Two channel OR50 would be pretty cool. Mainly for a clean & dirt run.

My very unrealistic wish:
5w-15w versions of their main lines. You'd have an RV, TH, AD, OR, but you'd also have a 30w, 50w, 100w tube power amp slave with a built in power soak so you could plug in your RV into your 50w power amp and get the preamp/power amp combo but if you were playing a small gig you could use just the RV 15w.

As it stands now you could almost pull this off with the TT line since they have been somewhat aligned with the bigger amps, TT=AD, JRT=RV, DkT=TH, OR15. Now all we need is a 50w power amp head with a soak for the TT power and tah-dah!
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dark Helmet
Orange Master

Post by Dark Helmet » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:34 pm

OR120/OD120 reissue...
Dark Lord of the Schwartz
AD15/12
AD30TC
AD50
AD140
Thunderverb50

2016 Gibson LP Standard
2012 Gibson LP Classic Custom
2017 Gibson Firebird Studio T
Epi Les Paul (used to be) Standard
2018 Taylor 616CE

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:58 pm

cables, oh, nevermind.......

hitgar
Orange Hero

Post by hitgar » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:43 pm

Jondog wrote:Actually, this was kind of a topic not too long ago, only a bit different. Just make a Terror or Dual Terror Power amp with interchangeable preamp sections of all the Terror series or similar (OR15, Jim Root sig.) amps. I bet they'd sell more too. I'd love to have that. You've got the Tiny Terror, Fat Channel, Dark Terror, Jim Root sig and OR 15, hell throw an AD preamp in there too. Add reverb as well.
Second that! Love the idea.

I'd also like to see a dial for the attenuation instead of a straight 1/2 power cut switch.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:56 pm

I actually think the obvious one is an AD30TCR. There's not much reason why the AD30 combo can't have a Reverb tank. If it affects the tone, isolate the Reverb to only one of the channels and leave the other one the same.

everdrone
Orange Expert

Post by everdrone » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:09 pm

smallish comment, but I would like it if all their dimensions would match up perfectly; for instance if I got a tiny terror combo I would want the width to match the 1x12 closed cab ;)

http://www.orangeamps.com/tiny-terror-combo/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (W x H X D) 46x44x28cm, 18x17x11in
DIMENSIONS VERSUS:
http://www.orangeamps.com/ppc112/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (W x H x D) 52x45x30cm

http://www.orangeamps.com/ppc-212-speaker-cab/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (W x H x D) 78 x 53 x 38cm, 31 x 21 x 15in
DIMENSIONS VERSUS:
http://www.orangeamps.com/thunderverb-50w-head/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (W x H x D) 55×25.5x28cm, 21.5x10x11in (ie my head overlaps a bit if it sits on my cab turned on its side)

_______

also if they could make a normal looking 4x10 bass cab that was super lightweight like my gallien krueger.... http://www.orangeamps.com/obc-410-speaker-cab/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ...weighs 94 pounds!

_______

also, a 1/4 watt all tube tiny terror head please :)

_______

also, a 100 watt Thunderverb head
My solo downtuned HEAVY rock project: https://soundcloud.com/earthalliance

Guitarist and Bassist in Fort Worth, TEXAS

Dark Helmet
Orange Master

Post by Dark Helmet » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:10 am

Randy Bass wrote:I actually think the obvious one is an AD30TCR. There's not much reason why the AD30 combo can't have a Reverb tank. If it affects the tone, isolate the Reverb to only one of the channels and leave the other one the same.

well said good sir.

that might be the SIMPLEST change we've suggested.... since the AD30R would indicate it can be easily done.

an AD140HTCR would be even better... that and an OR120 would be perfection for a small-gig setup...
Dark Lord of the Schwartz
AD15/12
AD30TC
AD50
AD140
Thunderverb50

2016 Gibson LP Standard
2012 Gibson LP Classic Custom
2017 Gibson Firebird Studio T
Epi Les Paul (used to be) Standard
2018 Taylor 616CE

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:12 am

The or50 with a basic clean channel and reverb would be nice... I would buy it in a second.. Will probably end up buying the OR anyway
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc
Mesa Boogie wide body 1x12
Gibson Les Paul custom black beauty(maple Fretboard)
Gibson Les Paul custom 58 vos
Gibson les Paul custom 57 vos

Alex Sheeny
Rocker

Post by Alex Sheeny » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:13 pm

a true vintage OR/OD reissue with lower wattages also.

TESLA_EL34
Orange Master

Post by TESLA_EL34 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:45 pm

Rocker 30/50 series with the following features:

Cleanchannel with EQ that takes pedals really really well, like a VOX AC30HW2 for example.
Bascially it should be a great sound to begin with which blends well with all kinds of pedals.
It's important for these days, trust me. Most guitarists want fuzz and od pedals for textures of distortion.

Same dirty channel as the R30 just a bit more volume, use bigger transformers and wattage for bigger tone ;)
A presence control would be a cool addition, to add more topend sparkle.
That amp would kill every amp for rock on the market. Period.

A good reverb and FX loop (both are switchable / out of the curcuit when off)
But when the clean channel is very balanced and good, you don't need an FX loop.

Cheers,

Tesla
accept darkness.

Belford
Tiny Terror

Post by Belford » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:07 am

Yes, true 120W Pics-only head with mastervolume, modern effects loop & power scaling or 60/30 watt options.
This would require FAC control and Baxandall tone stack of course. Weird that OR120's haven't made another comeback since the 90's - I'm not even sure if they have the rights to make those.. :?:

mr_william
Orange Master

Post by mr_william » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:59 am

Belford wrote:weird that OR120's haven't made another comeback since the 90's - I'm not even sure if they have the rights to make those.. :?:
yeah, i've wondered this at times too!

what i'd like to see is the preamp sections reproduced in pedal format. done to the highest of standards.

i think that'd give people the flexibility they're looking for
- chosing a powersection they need
- post preamp effects: series fx's loop, it'd allow a clean boost in the loop, delay etc.
- direct recording/straight to desk; it'd make a great backup.

with 2 of them, it'd allow you to have an ad30's crunch with an rv's leads going into a 15 watt powersection. with an fx's loop.
Will.
Bink wrote:Will you're a genius!! :D
Randy Bass wrote:For the record, mr_william is a genius :D .

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:15 am

Belford wrote:Yes, true 120W Pics-only head with mastervolume, modern effects loop & power scaling or 60/30 watt options.
This would require FAC control and Baxandall tone stack of course. Weird that OR120's haven't made another comeback since the 90's - I'm not even sure if they have the rights to make those.. :?:
May be some truth in that. When Cliff Cooper got the rights to the Orange name back from Gibson the first thing he did was to get Ade Emsley to alter the OR120 Overdrive slightly, coming up with the OTR. Maybe that was because he couldn't put out the original OR circuit for some contractual reason.
TESLA_EL34 wrote:Rocker 30/50 series with the following features:

Cleanchannel with EQ that takes pedals really really well, like a VOX AC30HW2 for example.
Bascially it should be a great sound to begin with which blends well with all kinds of pedals.
It's important for these days, trust me. Most guitarists want fuzz and od pedals for textures of distortion.
Well you know me, I like it as is - simple, no EQ. Sounds great to me and you'll always get the same repeatable starting point to do what you want to with pedals etc. Takes pedals fine already IMO. Personally I wouldn't change a thing there.
Same dirty channel as the R30 just a bit more volume, use bigger transformers and wattage for bigger tone ;)
A presence control would be a cool addition
, to add more topend sparkle.
That amp would kill every amp for rock on the market. Period.
Agree on the presence control. They are great to have - and being a power amp control it would work on the Natural channel too. So yeah that is one thing I'd like to see.

Realistically speaking more wattage would probably have to take it out of the realm of being a hot AB cathode biased amp on cost / weight grounds and that would change the character a lot. Hot cathode biased amps are way more power hungry and less efficient than cooler running fixed biased AB designs of a similar wattage which is why there are very few of them above about 30W. You would need MUCH bigger transformers and more room for ventilation to do that at a substantially higher wattage. Cost and weight would both rocket, and doing this would also probably compromise reliability. Idea sounds nice but there are real practical difficulties. :(
A good reverb and FX loop (both are switchable / out of the curcuit when off)
But when the clean channel is very balanced and good, you don't need an FX loop.
Could live with a good reverb. Would hate a bad one though. Reverb is not something Orange ever got quite right IMO. :?

Don't need an FX loop, but if totally bypassable no problemo.

Why not combine the two and go for an R.30 based amp with an FAC / Presence / 2 band Baxandall EQ instead of the TMB on the dirty channel. A proper OR.30! I'd happily road test the HW prototype for Ade... :D

All this sort of thread tells me is that everyone has their own different wish lists, and you would have to be really lucky for Orange to come up with exactly what you wanted. But yeah, for me with the R.30 they pretty much already did! It's simplicity was a big part of its success.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

OrangeJuicer
Orange Hero

Post by OrangeJuicer » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:57 pm

Just the old Rocker with a songle volume knob in the clean channel and a 3-band-eq in the dirty channel....
Combo and Head with 30 watts..

Just like in the old days...
"In the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty"

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:36 pm

I think adding reverb to the AD30TC head would be tricky in the need to isolate the reverb pan to avoid hum. Thinking of what the Bandmaster Reverb head looked like...

That said, I'd love a three channel Orange. One clean channel w/ EQ, second rhythm channel dirtier w/ EQ, and a solo channel. With a overall master volume that brings all three channels up and down proportionally. Maybe a built-in speaker emulator/ attenuator. No effects loop or reverb...