Dual Terror vs Rocker 30 vs Thunderverb

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Duppy03
Rocker

Post by Duppy03 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:47 pm

I've always used old non master volume Marshall Amps and pedals to get my dirt. But i've always wanted to try an amp that will do the overdrive/distortion for me, with two channels so I can flick between light overdrive and a heavy sound. And something with has a slightly darker tone too as my single coil guitars can sometimes sound too bright through the Marshall.

After looking around for a long long while I found that Thunderverb 50 had all the features i'd dreamed of, sounds incredible, but it's damn expensive. I love the simplicity of the Rocker 30 and I know it gets a lot of love round here. Again though, not only are the heads hard to come by but i'd struggle to raise the funds without selling some gear which I don't really want to do. So that brings me to the Dual Terror, this I can stretch to financially (used on eBay) and I really like the simplicity of the controls.

So I was wondering will the DT give me an idea of what it's bigger brothers sound like?

If I love it enough, I may be tempted to sell some of my beloved gear so I can upgrade to one of the bigger Oranges. Just thought the DT may be a good place to start. What do you think?
Orange Dual Terror
Marshall Superbass
Laney Supergroup 60
Fender Silverface Pro Reverb
Marshall 1960A cab with G12-65's

http://www.the13club.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://the13club.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jackson5
Tiny Terror

Re: Dual Terror vs Rocker 30 vs Thunderverb

Post by Jackson5 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:13 am

an orange is an orange---

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:11 am

I have not played a DT but I have the thunderverb 50 and it certainly seems that it would fit exactly what you want, it is a great amp. So maybe the DT would be really great but I don't think you would be real happy unless you het what you really want the thunderverb . You even said if you like the DT then you may sell and get the TV, well if you don't like it that much then you will still probably wish u got the TV. While I agree it seems most orange amps share similarities they are not all created equal and can be quite different one to the other.
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc
Mesa Boogie wide body 1x12
Gibson Les Paul custom black beauty(maple Fretboard)
Gibson Les Paul custom 58 vos
Gibson les Paul custom 57 vos

iblastoff
Orange Hero

Post by iblastoff » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:53 am

i have had all 3 in my household.

if you need an fx loop, well the thunderverb is the only one with one.

personally, i like the dual terror more than the rocker 30. the 2 channels on the DT are more flexible and imo sounds better as well. the dual terror will easily give you light overdrive in one channel and heavier on the other since both have gain knobs.

meanwhile, the rocker 30 will struggle to do this. it has one channel with great distortion and the other 'natural' channel that you will either love or really really hate. its basically a non-master volume type of channel where you have to crank it to get distortion. sounds good when its cranked, but harder to actually control its volume without fiddling with pedals/knobs etc.

i like the rocker 30 but i'm not totally in love with it like some people here are.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:34 am

Don't forget the AD30.

That's the one I would pick of that particular bunch.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Duppy03
Rocker

Post by Duppy03 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:30 am

Thanks your feedback and it's great to hear from some one who has all three for a true comparison. I tried out both Thunderverb and Rocker 30 Combo a few back and thought were both excellent. I really liked the natural channel on the Rocker. I thought the Thunderverb could do the Rocker sound and more, it sounded massive (although that could be due to going through a 4x12 vs the Rocker combo's single 12).

I was thinking with the Rocker I could use a good Overdrive/Pre Amp pedal on the natural channel, like the Xotic BB, that works well with the dirt channel when you hit the switch, so the BB is on all the time.

The Dual Terror I haven't tried. Can it get distortion similar to the Rocker?

I know if the Thunderverb us what I want it's what I should get, but it would mean selling my Superbass and I might regret that. I'm trying to find an affordable way of trying out a channel switch with great tone.
Orange Dual Terror
Marshall Superbass
Laney Supergroup 60

Duppy03
Rocker

Post by Duppy03 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:33 am

Forgot to mention, no need for an effects loop. Does the AD30 get heavy?
Orange Dual Terror
Marshall Superbass
Laney Supergroup 60

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:52 am

Duppy03 wrote:The Dual Terror I haven't tried. Can it get distortion similar to the Rocker?
similar, yes. you will miss the lack of a full EQ. to me, that's crucial on the rocker. the rocker is also more dynamic and really, really punchy compared to the dual terror. which i like, but maybe you won't. but generally i found the TT/DT to be fairly close sounding to the Rocker (at least a whole lot more than say the AD30 and a Rockerverb)

what kind of music will you be making? i can't believe nobody's asked that yet
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

Duppy03
Rocker

Post by Duppy03 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:59 am

Alternative Rock/Punk kind of thing. From Sonic Youth to Nirvana with a blend of Fugazi and the occasional bit riffing in the vein of Sabbath and Dead Meadow.

Good the know the DT can get in the Rocker ball park. Hopefully it'll give me a clear indicator of what I can get, and more, if I do go for the Rocker or Thunderverb.

The link at the bottom of my sig links through to my band.
Orange Dual Terror
Marshall Superbass
Laney Supergroup 60

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:44 pm

I own both the Rocker 30 and the Dual Terror and while there are differences, I'd say they're sonically in the same ballpark at least. I find the Dual Terror to be far more practical for me for live use so I keep my Rocker 30 at home for a practice amp only. These are the main advantages of each for me:

Dual Terror:

-Easy to set up channels as you described without needing pedals, sits REALLY well in a band mix without need for additional EQ. Even with the EQ options on the Rocker 30, I find the DT's voice to be more prominent in the mids naturally and it stands out more in a mix.

-Easy to carry (throw it on your shoulder in a gig bag)

-Can scale down to 15 or 7 watts if playing smaller shows that require lower volume

Rocker 30
- Sounds a bit fuller, punchier and 3D sounding with more bottom end than the DT.

- Natural channel takes pedals better than DT (if you can get it loud enough for gigging, that requires an OD pedal for most people)

If you'd ask me which amp sounds better, the answer for me is the Rocker 30 when played on its own and the DT when played in a full band mix. Just my opinion for the style of music I play, YMMV.
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:24 pm

Duppy03 wrote:Thanks your feedback and it's great to hear from some one who has all three for a true comparison. I tried out both Thunderverb and Rocker 30 Combo a few back and thought were both excellent. I really liked the natural channel on the Rocker. I thought the Thunderverb could do the Rocker sound and more, it sounded massive (although that could be due to going through a 4x12 vs the Rocker combo's single 12).

I was thinking with the Rocker I could use a good Overdrive/Pre Amp pedal on the natural channel, like the Xotic BB, that works well with the dirt channel when you hit the switch, so the BB is on all the time.

The Dual Terror I haven't tried. Can it get distortion similar to the Rocker?

I know if the Thunderverb us what I want it's what I should get, but it would mean selling my Superbass and I might regret that. I'm trying to find an

affordable way of trying out a channel switch with great tone.

I have the rocker 30 as well, and you are right. I have considered several times selling the rocker 30 because the TV will cover the same ground then some. The TV does not take pedals real well. The rocker 30 in my opinion takes the bb preamp pretty well. That is the only overdrive pedal I have. I set the rocker 30 gain at about 1 o'clock and you can still get a fairly clean tone with a light pick attack and get a good crunch if you did in. Then hit the bb for lead or solo boost. I basically use it as a one channel amp. I like the sound of the natural but have never been able to actually make OT fit into anything I do. That's why I'm really considering the OR50 and sell the rocker.
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc

Duppy03
Rocker

Post by Duppy03 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:03 pm

Thanks, this really useful stuff. It looks like the DT might do it for me as a first stepping stone. Who knows, I might like it enough that I stick with it.

The OR50 is a lovely sounding amp, that's what first brought me to Orange forum.

Still, i'd love a Thunderverb some day.
Orange Dual Terror
Marshall Superbass
Laney Supergroup 60

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:16 pm

I have a Rocker 30 and a Tiny Terror. The Rocker sounds way better IMO and has a much more refined overdrive although I do understand the DT is 30w so probably sounds somewhat different than the TT. If you are a Marshall fan the R30 may be right up your alley. It's very JCM800-ish but with more low mid grunt.

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:51 pm

BTW... Musicians friend still has some or at least 1 rocker 30 restock.. I guess I'm not allowed to put the price that they have on it but anyway they can also be found for good prices used, at least I think the used price is good for the quality of head you get, the DT with the little metal case is obviously much cheaper and for the obvious reasons.
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:54 pm

^the rocker 30 isn't a current production model, so pricing on it is fair game. please, share your find :D
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals