Synth & Guitar -> AD200B and Rockerverb 100 MKII Doom-Jazz

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

fiaj
Tiny Terror

Synth & Guitar -> AD200B and Rockerverb 100 MKII Doom-Jazz

Post by fiaj » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:51 am

The first session from The Deadjohnsons' Big Incredible Day to utilise synths and a looper. The left channel is a Little Phatty through an AD 200B MK3/OBC410 captured with an SM57, some lovely warm tones as well as some heavy and harsh.
Right channel is a Moog Vo through a Rockerverb 100 MKII/Framus CS 2x12 cab (8ohm, V30s) captured with an AKG 414B. some bits of Memory Man delay, one small burst of Fuzz Factory and a bit of Psilocybe phasing.
Mainly clean, with some nice soft tones from the dirty channel at about 5 mins and 20 mins.

It goes a bit crap briefly at around 7.30 when my drummer puts in some terrible punk/drum'n'bass beat, and again for one minute at about 10.00 when i hit s slightly hollow bass drone. If you have patience and can get past that then this is a very rewarding and colourful track. It was our first try with a synth and generally holds up to mad doom-jazz brilliance, but a lot of people will write it off as retarded noise.

This was just us trying to "find a sound", and the first jam ever with a looper and me doing two parts, never intended for release but it turned out pretty cool. 100% live and improvised.

Give it a chance. it's only 24 minutes and if you don't get it then it's still a good subject for mockery. :D :lol:

http://groovetemple.bandcamp.com/album/23-06-2012

Last edited by fiaj on Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

OU818
Orange Master

Re: Synth & Guitar -> AD200B and Rockerverb 100 MKII Doom-

Post by OU818 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:39 am

Listened to it.

Personally my favourite bit was your drummer at 7:00 and the last 4 minutes (especially 22:20 onwards).

Overall though I would have to say that the improvised nature wasn't pulled off very well. Call me crazy, but improvised/jazz/doom whatever doesn't demand a lack of musical 'togetherness'.

Also I listen to anything from merzbow to most artists on Mimicry records. So I consider myself able to 'get' this music. Your condescending attitude however is a complete turn off to even giving your music a shot.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

Gray
Orange Expert

Post by Gray » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:40 am

Doom Jazz? Now you're just making up genres.

fiaj
Tiny Terror

Post by fiaj » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:37 am

Who did i condescend and what did i say?
I really don't get how people can get offended or think anything i said was rude.
that was all said in good heart, in a bright and happy mood and without looking down on anybody. and now i just get crushed down and accused of having a condescending attitude.

I am a very nice person and people continually misunderstand the way i write and the meaning behind my words, i was not used to talking online without faces, body language, voice tones etc which help give the definition to the attitude behind the communication. Without meaning and solely due to my own lack of understanding i upset some people, for which i sincerely apologise. i'm trying harder to make sure everything i say is obviously stated in the light and happy way that i mean it, which i'm pretty sure i did here, and to make sure i don't say anything that could come across as rude or condescending. Yet i'm still doing something wrong?

I've looked over what i wrote and i'm really clueless on this one, but i'm glad you liked the drumming.

and i'm aware this track has it's weaknesses, it was my first go doing synth at the same time and our second short jam in ages with no preparation, but most of it is more together than it sounds, abstract but as intended.
the only parts that weren't totally together are the few minutes from 7.30-12.00ish, the rest is spot on but just doesn't fit for you. and that last sentence really was not an attack, or even a debate. Just a friendly statement about my music that i'm saying in a very nice way.

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:46 am

fiaj wrote: if you don't get it then it's still a good subject for mockery.
Maybe I was just being sensitive.
I always hate it when people try to write off somebody not liking their stuff as 'not getting it'.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

fiaj
Tiny Terror

Post by fiaj » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:02 am

I'm sorry, but that's just because we see different meaning in the phrase "not getting it". It's what i say when i, well, don't get something. Like the IT crowd might be funny, and i understand the jokes as in i know what they mean, the words etc and the point of the joke, but i just don't "get" the humour. Like it just doesn;t click with me as being funny. and then people watch something like Brass Eye, and they might understand the jokes as i understand the IT crowd, but they just don't get it, understand the reason or lack of behind the humour.
That's what i mean, althought i probably just said it really badly... it's very late.
I'm saying people might not get it as in they don't get what's behind the music, the point etc. which, and i hope you uderstand that i'm saying this nicely, i think you obviously don't "get". Not because i think you are of lower understanding or have less musical knowledge, i would not be surprised if it were the other way round as my music is much more heart than brain, but because you don't "get" the feeling/meaning behind the music.
This is completely understandable as i have a very strange mind and the way i feel music and shapes is rather abnormal, so even someone with the greatest of musical knowledge may not "get" my work.
You speak of Mimicry for instance, i think Trey Spruance to be one of the greatest minds music has ever seen, an intelligence above most and definitely far above mine.I am completely sure that man would not get my music because we make music for completely different reasons, with completely different outlooks and completely different feelings.
This is what i mean when i expect people to not get my music, not because i think i'm higher than them, just because it is very different to what most people can connect with.
we just look at the word slightly differently i think, and i hope you understand what i'm saying and that i am not being rude.
I am truly sorry for any offence i've caused in the past. I really am just trying to be nice, and i'm being careful with my words.

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:19 am

No worries. We are of an understanding now.

As I said, I did like moments of your track. The ending (last few minutes) was especially good.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

fiaj
Tiny Terror

Post by fiaj » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:40 am

That's what i mean, i loved the way we built the ending but that was less together and organised than some of the looser sounding bits, which i feel were much better. It's all just linking with different feelings, some stuff clicks with certain people, some stuff drifts by.

But thanks, and i'm glad you get what i'm saying.
This was just a jam trying to figure out what we're going to do with this project and finding our sound(s), hopefully you'll check out our better stuff when we record, even if it was only a small bit that you liked. We'll be doing lots of different stuff so you might prefer some other recordings. We played a gig last week with a friend of mine guesting on turntables and it was mainly just minimalist funk/hip-hop, much more "together" but still with some very abstract sections and went down really well with an average crowd at the end of a night of blues and indie bands.
It will definitely be tighter than that one though, i'd never used a looper before, or mixed in synth duties. and definitely left the zone for a while in the early middle where it goes weak.
That was our second jam for the project after only a brief 25 minute session the week before, so we didn't expect total perfection.