Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Re: NAD!! Tiny Terror 10" speaker Combo

Post by baytamusic » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:41 pm

indianDYsummer wrote:
baytamusic wrote:
indianDYsummer wrote:Congrats! Gotta love the TT combos. I received an OR15 yesterday but it has an absurd amount of noise even on clean settings so I'm sending it back. Its not valves (tried swapping), so I bet a replacement will be better.

The amp sounded awesome but I may just get a TT head instead until I some time has passed for the or15 manufacturing bugs to be worked out.
Was it broke, or just noisy by nature? Not Naughty by Nature though.

Broke. I could hear a different frequency of noise increase with gain/volume like what would be normally expected. If you were wondering how noisy the amp is with respect to natural noise from distortion, it seemed pretty quiet until you really got up there in the gain.

This absurd noise I'm talking about was independent of amp settings and different guitars. With gain and MV set to about 11 o clock, it was as loud as my clean guitar sounds! Basically unusable as is. It was probably just a poor ground connection somewhere in the amp, but my interest in troubleshooting new amps stops at tubes.
Bummer. Yeah, I wouldn't want to go down that path of trying to get a brand new amp fixed under warranty. Especially when it's a new model and may have some issues no one knows about yet. But yeah, the TT is a solid choice for a home/recording amp that is also gig worthy.

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:06 pm

indianDYsummer wrote:Congrats! Gotta love the TT combos. I received an OR15 yesterday but it has an absurd amount of noise even on clean settings so I'm sending it back. Its not valves (tried swapping), so I bet a replacement will be better.

The amp sounded awesome but I may just get a TT head instead until I some time has passed for the or15 manufacturing bugs to be worked out.
Damn! That is really crappy, eh? I'd definitely recommend a TT head for the time being. I'm sure the OR15, once replaced, will be great though. But I've loved the TTs ever since I first tried one. They are AMAZING amps, really quite great!
David Verb wrote:You got stickers???? Where were my Orange stickers? :o
haha, yeah! I got a sheet with two banner "Orange" logos, with the "Legendary British Amplifiers" underneath. One big Orange Crest sticker, and then a bunch of little heiroglyph stickers! I was pretty stoked about that!
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:41 pm

Yea I'm on the fence about what to do so I'll think about it. Leaning towards the TT today. One thing is for sure, I didn't get any stickers! I did get them with my PPC212OB. Score!

Happy NGD again. That sounds like a keeper for home use. The 10" speaker is probably lower sensitivity so most likely a good choice for home!

nedcronin
Rocker

Post by nedcronin » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:45 pm

I Didn't get stickers either! Congrats on the new amp. I agree the 15w setting is fuller than 7w. I am running mine through an old Marshall can with 4 G12M 65's and it sounds killer. I have yet to try a combo. Enjoy it!

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:07 pm

indianDYsummer wrote:Yea I'm on the fence about what to do so I'll think about it. Leaning towards the TT today. One thing is for sure, I didn't get any stickers! I did get them with my PPC212OB. Score!

Happy NGD again. That sounds like a keeper for home use. The 10" speaker is probably lower sensitivity so most likely a good choice for home!
At least you got stickers with the cab! :D

Definitely happy with it! I was looking forward to playing it all weekend (as well as catching up on some NetFlix), but then Friday night we lost power! Power has been out all weekend, and may be out through the week! ugh.
nedcronin wrote:I Didn't get stickers either! Congrats on the new amp. I agree the 15w setting is fuller than 7w. I am running mine through an old Marshall can with 4 G12M 65's and it sounds killer. I have yet to try a combo. Enjoy it!
I definitely would like to hear the head through a 412 one day - I'm sure it sounds pretty epic. These things really live up to their names!
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:31 pm

myboss57 wrote:I definitely would like to hear the head through a 412 one day - I'm sure it sounds pretty epic. These things really live up to their names!
Yeah the TT sounds great through any size cab really, it's hilarious to hear the huge sound coming out of the 4X12 with that little head sitting on top. I used one like this for a little while and ppl would usually laugh at it until they heard it!

Might not be the exact same amp, but I used my DT this weekend at a gig with a 2X12 and 1X12 cab. The other 2 bands were using Marshall half stacks and almost everyone came to ask me about my setup cause they couldn't believe the tone coming out of such a small looking head. The look on ppl's faces is half the fun with these amps! :D
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:58 pm

DiabloS wrote:Yeah the TT sounds great through any size cab really, it's hilarious to hear the huge sound coming out of the 4X12 with that little head sitting on top. I used one like this for a little while and ppl would usually laugh at it until they heard it!

Might not be the exact same amp, but I used my DT this weekend at a gig with a 2X12 and 1X12 cab. The other 2 bands were using Marshall half stacks and almost everyone came to ask me about my setup cause they couldn't believe the tone coming out of such a small looking head. The look on ppl's faces is half the fun with these amps! :D
That's awesome! Nothing like shocking the masses with the huge tones in small boxes!!
Gibson SG Standard
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412