Rocker 30 dirty channel + OD: I found one that doesn't suck!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

digiTED

Rocker 30 dirty channel + OD: I found one that doesn't suck!

Post by digiTED » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:13 am

The Wampler Ecstasy meshes VERY well with the dirty channel when set for edge or crunch. It's better than the Timmy. I just wraps around the R.30s crunch with more saturation and bite, but without losing articulation. I got lost for a few hours tonight using the P90 PRS. Evil goodness.
guitar > boost/fuzz > trem > echo > amp
better judged by 12 than lowered by 6

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Re: Rocker 30 dirty channel + OD: I found one that doesn't s

Post by Thinline_slim » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:52 pm

Cool, congrats!

Clips?
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TESLA_EL34
Orange Master

Post by TESLA_EL34 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:12 pm

clips plz
accept darkness.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:25 pm

I also require clips!

digiTED

Post by digiTED » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:48 pm

thx for the interest! I'll try this weekend; I hope my humble home recording technique can capture what I'm hearing.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:54 pm

I took your advice and picked up this pedal.

I just have to say that it is amazing!

So far the two recommendations I found on the Orange Forum have not let me down.

1. BlackArtsToneWorks Pharoah Fuzz
2. Wampler Ecstasy/Euphoria OverDrive

Both Amazing pedals!

macg1
Rocker

Post by macg1 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:55 pm

I use a Celestial Effects Scorpio Super Boost with mine. Love it.
I've got love to burn!
-Orange Rocker 30, 1x15 Glaswerks Cab, Emminence Big Ben.
-2010 LP Trad Pro, 2002 Gibson FB VII.
-Celestial Effects Scorpio, Aquarius, Virgo, Taurus, Sinna-a Wah, Line 6 MM4, TC Alter Ego.

digiTED

Post by digiTED » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:22 am

Cool to hear about your experience with the Ecstasy. Black Arts stuff rocks with Oranges in my experience as well.

Others that I've had great luck with are the Field Effects Manifold Drive, and the boosts from Lumpy's, the '73 and Brilliance, and from Diamond, the Boost EQ.

I recorded myself going through several and just need to chop it up in Garbageband and upload to Soundhound.

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:26 am

digiTED wrote:Others that I've had great luck with are the Field Effects Manifold Drive, and the boosts from Lumpy's, the '73 and Brilliance, and from Diamond, the Boost EQ.
interesting about the Manifold. i'm actually thinking about trying out an Acceleron Fuzz with my rig to see how i like it. maybe i can just pick both of them up. :roll:
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

macg1
Rocker

Post by macg1 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:05 pm

So retooled my pedal board yesterday before practice and started rethinking my approach. Since I got the R30, I had made the switch to pretty much using the volume knob of the guitar to control everything, so set rhythm tone with volume on 6 and lead on 10. That was all fine and dandy until we revisited our old catalog which has a lot more dynamics and some very clean tones. So I bought a foot switch to use the natural channel as well. But the issue was that i no longer could boost my lead tones. Well last night, i unplugged the foot switch, moved a few things around in the quest for a proper dirty rhythm tone. I am now setting up the R30 with the master volume fully cranked and the gain at 12 o'clock on the dial. This gives me clean to near dirty (with my Firebird guits and of course a 225W 15 inch speaker). I tried using my TS-like pedal, a OCD V4, and a Celestial Effects Virgo. Of the three, the Virgo sounds best, but it has WAY too much bottom (even with the tone nearly all the way up). Of course my Celestial Scorpio Boost and Aquarius Fuzz sound divine for lead boosts and fuzzyness, respectively. I pose a question, is there a drive pedal out there that is OCD-like, but has a bit more gain and more tonal sculpting available? The first to come to mind is a BB preamp, and the other is the catalinbread SCO, but I am afraid the latter will be too mid focused and just muck up my tone. Suggestions? For now the OCD is doing the trick but I really like to have flexible EQ capabilities. I was also considering a Keeley Mod metal Zone (it has very flexible EQing).

Maybe I should try the Ecstasy as suggested here. The knob layout of Wampler pedals drives me insane though. the knobs are too close to the switch and i always knock them...
I've got love to burn!
-Celestial Effects Scorpio, Aquarius, Virgo, Taurus, Sinna-a Wah, Line 6 MM4, TC Alter Ego.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:46 pm

I would say go for it! I find the Ecastasy to be very dynamic and responsive to the volume knob. Usually I have my gain channel set at fairly high gain and use the Ecastasy for the "on the verge of breakup" tone (IMO the only thing orange amps don't do so well). It works great!

macg1
Rocker

Post by macg1 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:23 pm

Boy_Narf wrote:I would say go for it! I find the Ecastasy to be very dynamic and responsive to the volume knob. Usually I have my gain channel set at fairly high gain and use the Ecastasy for the "on the verge of breakup" tone (IMO the only thing orange amps don't do so well). It works great!
see that's the thing, I need it just the other way. The pedal has to take me to the high gain OD side of Sears!
I've got love to burn!

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:55 pm

Instead of spending money on all these expensive pedals why don't you just get a good clean combo amp to use along side the R30? I can't see any reason to own the R30 and not be using it's dirty channel's higher gain sound. That's the main awesomeness of the amp. Just my opinion I guess.

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:22 pm

baytamusic wrote:Instead of spending money on all these expensive pedals why don't you just get a good clean combo amp to use along side the R30? I can't see any reason to own the R30 and not be using it's dirty channel's higher gain sound. That's the main awesomeness of the amp. Just my opinion I guess.
agreed, but i do like to run pedals on the natural channel for lighter/different OD sounds. the dirty channel is great but really only for heavier "marshally" tones in my opinion. if i want a sort of "voxy" overdrive, i have to grab a pedal. so far my JHS Double Barrel does the trick well.

though i certainly wouldn't mind a nice clean combo as a backup.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

macg1
Rocker

Post by macg1 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:33 pm

baytamusic wrote:Instead of spending money on all these expensive pedals why don't you just get a good clean combo amp to use along side the R30? I can't see any reason to own the R30 and not be using it's dirty channel's higher gain sound. That's the main awesomeness of the amp. Just my opinion I guess.
Honestly, it is pure laziness of carrying any more gear than I have to. I have done the multiple amps, giant pedal boards, multiple guitars thing and those days are gone to never return. I have smaller combo amps but they stay home. The dirty channel of the R30 will still be featured in our recordings, but live it does not really matter that much since the tone will still be very good and honestly most sound guys don't really bother to do a good job around these parts anyhow.
I've got love to burn!