Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

apocalypsedude
Rocker

Re: I will stick with my orange

Post by apocalypsedude » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:24 pm

Yup, the longer I have my Rocker 30, the more I appreciate it, especially when you compare it to other amps. I really did not know what a great amp I was buying some six years ago! I knew I was getting a good amp, but after gigging with it and playing countless practices, it really has stood the test of time. I thought getting a Sovtek 100 watt head for cheap would resign the Rocker to a practice amp status, but that supposed "JCM 800" killer couldn't hold a candle to the Rocker 30s tone and balls. I also thought that I needed a DT, something with two channels, but I realize that the simplicity of the Rocker 30 has made me a better guitarist, it is such an honest amp, that recreates whatever you put into it, and nver hides your mistakes, and I really love that about the amp.

Sometimes I would like an amp with a brighter clean channel for humbuckers, or possibly an effects loop, but the gain channel is simply better sounding than any other amp or stompbox I have ever tried. The other thing that amazes me is the clarity of the gain, it has such a beautiful top end that is never harsh on the ears, and those lower mids just give it balls and make it SING. I've often thought about just buying a Fender Deville for clean sounds, and running two amps live, but with the band I'm in now, I just need gain. You would have to spend a small fortune to find an amp that beats it, plus I like the fact that every other guitar player in my city plays a JCM 800, nobody around here plays Orange, so it makes me kind of stand out from the crowd, and gives me my own sound. I think for a 30 watter, the Rocker will give a JCM 800 a run for its money any day. The other day I plugged my LP into my other guitarists JCM 900 half stack, and was surprised at how much thinner it sounded in comparison to the Rocker 30. the Rocker 30 simply eats it for breakfast, and his JCM900 is a 100 watter! I kept thinking that I needed more volume boost for solos, and then realized that my tone already cuts though plenty enough as it is! I once borrowed a friends 50 watt Plexi reissue, non MV and though it had a nice loud crunchy tone, it just had a harshness that couldnt be dialed out, again, I thought the Rocker smoked it in the gain and tone department.

I dunno, I'm sure that there are some boutique, handwired amps out there that are better, but like I said, your gonna pay a couple thousand dollars for em. I could barely afford the Rocker 30 head when I bought it, it was really hard for me to justify a purchase like that back then, but I'm so glad I did!
Orange Dual Dark 50
Rocker 30 head
Ceriatone 2555 (Marshall Silver Jubilee clone)
Framus 4x12 V30s
Fender Pro Jr.
LP Classic 2006
LP Standard 1993
'81 Greco, Japanese "lawsuit" LP Custom
SG Standard 1992

nlimbaugh
Orange Master

Post by nlimbaugh » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:13 am

Thinline_slim wrote:
nlimbaugh wrote:Pittsburgh 1995. I went to the biggest used music store to buy the best rig I could so I would have no excuses for sounding bad. I plugged into a Marshall and then an Orange. It was no contest. If there wasn't the Orange, I surely would have walked out with a Marshall and probably be playing it today. But, that didn't happen. :D
What did you walk out with?
I walked out with the best sounding amp in the building. It cost me $800 and it was an Orange. At some point I learned it was an OR80 from the 70's. :D

Nork
Orange Master

Post by Nork » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:58 am

I'm possibly leaving the fold - after almost 5 years, I'm looking at an AC15C1. Don't get me wrong - the TT is killer, but I really want a combo, and I've always wanted an AC15. It's just time is all. If I played any sort of rock band though, I'd be into a Rocker 30 in a heartbeat. I LOVE that amp, but it just doesn't suit my current tone needs.
--Nick

Parker Nitefly SA -> TC PolyTune -> OLER Box ->Timmy -> MP SHOD -> Eventide TimeFactor/e3 -> Orange TT -> Avatar 112 (Weber 1225)

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:17 pm

Nork wrote:I'm possibly leaving the fold - after almost 5 years, I'm looking at an AC15C1. Don't get me wrong - the TT is killer, but I really want a combo, and I've always wanted an AC15. It's just time is all. If I played any sort of rock band though, I'd be into a Rocker 30 in a heartbeat. I LOVE that amp, but it just doesn't suit my current tone needs.
I've been drooling over the AC15 for a while, so I can see why you would make the switch. I would suggest trying the AC15 next to a TT combo if your local store carries both amps. That would be the best way to make sure you are making the right choice.

jojo68
Orange Master

Post by jojo68 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:08 pm

I don't see me leaving the orange/matamp tone . Maybe play my sunn from time to time ;)

jeepocaster
Tiny Terror

Post by jeepocaster » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:24 pm

I just turned 50... Kinda ruff. :( :lol: Realistically, I wont be doing any more gigging. There's no bands, no venues in my area, and open jams are not my thing. So for the first time in my life, I am destined to be an at home player. I have a ton of gear to be offloading, and it's not a good time to be selling. :wink: When the dust clears, I will always have my Tiny Terror and 2 Strats with a few pedals. My other amps, cabs, and guitars, etc., will be likely turned into a new motorcycle.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:25 pm

jeepocaster wrote:...My other amps, cabs, and guitars, etc., will be likely turned into a new motorcycle.
That sounds like it will be one sweet-looking motorcycle :D !

hellagnar Brosevelt
Orange Expert

Post by hellagnar Brosevelt » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:01 pm

I switched to using a tweed Bassman clone about a year ago. But I am still looking for a rocker 30 to go on top of my PPC4x10
http://blackdots.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Post by Borderline Productions » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:55 pm

What I like is the number of guys (and Rachel) who sell their Orange and still stay on the forum. I'm not selling mine, ever.
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;