My last days as an Orange owner...

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Tamayo
Tiny Terror

My last days as an Orange owner...

Post by Tamayo » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:59 pm

That's right, I just picked up a Jackson Ampworks Newcastle. Basically to fund this new amp I have to let go of the Rockerverb 50 Combo goodness. A lot of GREAT memories with that beast of a music maker. These days I find myself wanting something more transparent with tons of clean headroom. Though the RV50 has an amazing gain channel, it doesn't take pedals well. :| Trust me if I could keep it I WOULD! I believe the Newcastle will be more than enough for what I do.
Jackson Newcastle Combo
Orange RV50C
00' TR-Black Heritage 535
11' Duesenberg Starplayer Special
01' G&L Legacy

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: My last days as an Orange owner...

Post by Jondog » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:09 pm

You'll be back..........

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:11 am

sad times. the newcastle's a great amp though. i'm glad you enjoy it
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:27 am

lot's of people giving up their Oranges lately. Myself included, except for the OR120.

Isn't that Newcastle an 18watt amp? I don't see how you're going to have more cleanheadroom on that over the RV50. Those things breakup into full on crunch at noon on the volume control.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:37 am

I'm not ready to give up on Orange, love my rocker too much. But if I had to, I would go for one of these...Naylor Super-Drive 60
http://www.naylorengineering.com/sd60.htm
Heres what they sound like, new song from a Canadian band I love, he's straight into the Naylor.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UBO_kc9XxI

Tamayo
Tiny Terror

Post by Tamayo » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:52 am

ironlung40 wrote:lot's of people giving up their Oranges lately. Myself included, except for the OR120.

Isn't that Newcastle an 18watt amp? I don't see how you're going to have more cleanheadroom on that over the RV50. Those things breakup into full on crunch at noon on the volume control.
I should clarify. :) I guess I'm more fond of the vox-ish tones that Jackson and Morgan amps offer. The RV50 cleans didn't deliver that preference. My tonal taste have changed since I obtained the Orange. Yes, the Newcastle is 18 watts BUT with that ported cab and amazing PTP circuit it was just what I needed. Check this review out: http://m.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Iss ... eview.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jackson Newcastle Combo
Orange RV50C
01' G&L Legacy

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:04 pm

Jondog wrote:I'm not ready to give up on Orange, love my rocker too much. But if I had to, I would go for one of these...Naylor Super-Drive 60
And no one who has played a Naylor would think that odd! :wink: They make some fantastic amps.
Greg

BrianFantana
Orange Master

Post by BrianFantana » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:05 pm

Tamayo wrote:That's right, I just picked up a Jackson Ampworks Newcastle. Basically to fund this new amp I have to let go of the Rockerverb 50 Combo goodness. A lot of GREAT memories with that beast of a music maker. These days I find myself wanting something more transparent with tons of clean headroom. Though the RV50 has an amazing gain channel, it doesn't take pedals well. :| Trust me if I could keep it I WOULD! I believe the Newcastle will be more than enough for what I do.
So 59 posts in on the Jackson Ampworks board, what amp will catch your attention? :roll:

Tamayo
Tiny Terror

Post by Tamayo » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:29 pm

BrianFantana wrote:
Tamayo wrote:That's right, I just picked up a Jackson Ampworks Newcastle. Basically to fund this new amp I have to let go of the Rockerverb 50 Combo goodness. A lot of GREAT memories with that beast of a music maker. These days I find myself wanting something more transparent with tons of clean headroom. Though the RV50 has an amazing gain channel, it doesn't take pedals well. :| Trust me if I could keep it I WOULD! I believe the Newcastle will be more than enough for what I do.
So 59 posts in on the Jackson Ampworks board, what amp will catch your attention? :roll:
I'm not sure I understand... :)
Jackson Newcastle Combo
Orange RV50C
01' G&L Legacy

BrianFantana
Orange Master

Post by BrianFantana » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:43 am

Tamayo wrote:
BrianFantana wrote:
I'm not sure I understand... :)
I'm giving you a hard time. Did you give it a fair shake?
If you like the sound of a ballsy AC-30, have you tried the AD30TC?

Tamayo
Tiny Terror

Post by Tamayo » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:27 am

So 59 posts in on the Jackson Ampworks board, what amp will catch your attention? :roll:[/quote]

I'm not sure I understand... :)[/quote]

I'm giving you a hard time. Did you give it a fair shake?
If you like the sound of a ballsy AC-30, have you tried the AD30TC?[/quote]

Of course you where... ;) I played the crap out of my RV50 for almost four years. Sad to see it go but I wanted a changed. There are a TON of great amps I could have picked. Steamboat, Morgan, 65amps, /13 or built my own kit. Changed is good, you know? The Newcastle was what I chose. No hard feelings, mate. :)
Jackson Newcastle Combo
Orange RV50C
01' G&L Legacy

TESLA_EL34
Orange Master

Post by TESLA_EL34 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:10 am

I can't think of selling my Orange. I like the tone that it gives me for stoner rock kinda stuff.
Orange amps are superb in a clean/pedal + distortion setup. You get both worlds, while the clean/pedal setup
will always lack that amp powertube grind and amp overdrive so many people are looking for. It just sounds better for a pure
distortion tone.
accept darkness.

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:40 am

yeah, the AD30 is a great amp if you're looking for a ballsier AC30. not as much icepick, which could be a good or bad thing. but still plenty of treble, just maybe not as much presence. and a whole lot more body to it.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals