Distortion/Overdrive for Tiny Terror

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

scarper

Re: Distortion/Overdrive for Tiny Terror

Post by scarper » Wed May 30, 2012 5:04 am

I had a similar situation with my TT combo, we were playing songs that needed clean tones and some that needed distortion.

At low volumes I could get what I wanted for both, but when playing with a drummer I had to dial up the gain and the resulting sound wasn't what i wanted.

I bought a Th30 combo, and now that I have one that works :shock: :shock: :shock: I am getting the sound I wanted. i guess being a louder amp I have more clean headroom, and with it footswitchable I can use the dirty channel or the effects in the loop.

I am aware that this amp aint everyone's cup of tea however it was the dearest cup of tea I could afford, and it suits my needs pretty well (now that I have one that bloody well works !!!!)

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Wed May 30, 2012 5:52 am

y'all really should check out an OCD. I revisited that pedal just recently with my amps and i was genuinely impressed. it actaully sounded better with my Rocker 30 than i could've ever dreamed. pretty transparent sounding and very dynamic and smooth.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

matthewwatt2412

Post by matthewwatt2412 » Wed May 30, 2012 7:20 am

Hey guys,

Thanks for all of the help i have a lot to think about here.

Yeah Will you summed it up completely.

I think i might invest in a boost pedal as it seems like it would be useful anyway and possibly try a overdrive pedal with it as well next time and see if that works pushing her from clean to dirty. Also i'll leave my cabinet at home next time and use one of the practice rooms larger cabinets.

Does anybody own a EP booster and has played it on a TT? I was looking at them last night and it seems like quite a cool pedal.

Thanks again for all of your help.

(Starting to wonder why i sold my AD140, wasn't much heavier than TT with speaker, loads of head room, twin channels, what a dumbass!)

bfitz
Orange Expert

Post by bfitz » Wed May 30, 2012 8:39 am

I use a TT and 2x12CB cab and 2 boost pedals

I set the amp vol 2 o'clock Tone 1 o'clock and gain at around 11 o'clock

then i use an LPB-1 for rhythm distortion with the boost set about 12 o'clock and i have a ZVEX SHO clone set to nearly max which i add on top to give the TT the steroid boost! works for me.

Good luck finding your tone man!

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Fender CIJ Pink Paisley Tele
Fender Classic Player Strat 50s
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Wed May 30, 2012 12:56 pm

matthewwatt2412 wrote:Hey guys,

Thanks for all of the help i have a lot to think about here.

Yeah Will you summed it up completely.

I think i might invest in a boost pedal as it seems like it would be useful anyway and possibly try a overdrive pedal with it as well next time and see if that works pushing her from clean to dirty. Also i'll leave my cabinet at home next time and use one of the practice rooms larger cabinets.

Does anybody own a EP booster and has played it on a TT? I was looking at them last night and it seems like quite a cool pedal.

Thanks again for all of your help.

(Starting to wonder why i sold my AD140, wasn't much heavier than TT with speaker, loads of head room, twin channels, what a dumbass!)

You won't need an overdrive pedal to boost that amp for gain, a clean and transparent boost will push it for plenty of gain without coloring the tone. I don't kow if you've ever used a clean boost, but it doesn't make the amp clean, it pushes the preamp of the amp just like the gain knob on the amp. It will give the amp more volume, too, provided that you haven't maxed out your headroom on the amp with the settings you use.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

matthewwatt2412

Post by matthewwatt2412 » Wed May 30, 2012 3:58 pm

Hey Ironlung,

Thanks again, okay so i shall try a clean boost with the amp. Would you suggest the MXR Micro Amp or the EP Booster? I've seen some great reviews of the EP having the built in EQ.

Thanks for your help again.

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Wed May 30, 2012 4:52 pm

matthewwatt2412 wrote:Hey Ironlung,

Thanks again, okay so i shall try a clean boost with the amp. Would you suggest the MXR Micro Amp or the EP Booster? I've seen some great reviews of the EP having the built in EQ.

Thanks for your help again.
That's up to you, but I'd go with the microamp since it is the most transparent. You're already having trouble with the DS2 pushing the amp and that is due to the inherent "eq" and voicing of that pedal. Sure, the LP is adjustable, but I don't think it'll be as transparent as the microamp. I suggest (since the TT is so portable) taking it to a store and trying out the microamp there. You'll know for sure then.

If not buy it from somewhere that has a return policy.

I've been using the microamp for years now. I use it in front of all of the tubes amps I've ever owned. It was a really nice fit on the marshall 2203, I could clean up and go full tilt with that pedal.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Wed May 30, 2012 8:13 pm

sorta depends what you want. the EP Boost adds something really special to your tone. the micro amp just gives you more. get both and keep the one you like most.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Wed May 30, 2012 8:29 pm

The microamp will works well for me as it doesn't add anything to the amp's core tone, it just pushes the preamp section harder. It's an easy choice for me.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

Ade
Orange Hero

Post by Ade » Wed May 30, 2012 11:15 pm

I've been experimenting with a lot of my booster/ODs into my AD50. So far, the zvex SHO is the pick - sounds glorious. In the past a MXR Micro amp, Boss OD-1 and a rangemaster clone all did pretty special things to my AD15.

If your citing In Bloom as a reference point, you're probably familiar with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODsrWxeo ... ata_player

It's Drain You but, as others have mentioned, it gives an idea of what went into making those guitars sound so good.

Adrian
Orange AD15/12 - Orange AD50 - 1975 PPC412

matthewwatt2412

Post by matthewwatt2412 » Thu May 31, 2012 6:42 am

Hey Guys,

I just bought a MXR Micro Amp, i live kind of in the middle of nowhere so just ordered one online as they are quite cheap.

I have a practice at the weekend so i'll let you guys know how i get on with the pedal and also through a larger cab.

Thanks all again.

Matthew

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Thu May 31, 2012 12:48 pm

matthewwatt2412 wrote:Hey Guys,

I just bought a MXR Micro Amp, i live kind of in the middle of nowhere so just ordered one online as they are quite cheap.

I have a practice at the weekend so i'll let you guys know how i get on with the pedal and also through a larger cab.

Thanks all again.

Matthew
This pedals really shines with high master volume levels on your amp. It is still reactive to your guitar volume control too. I hope you like it.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

matthewwatt2412

Post by matthewwatt2412 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:14 am

Hey Guys,

Just an update. Still waiting on the MXR but i had a couple of practice over weekend and got some good results. Firstly i used the in house 4x12s and they really helped get more sound out, secondly i hooked up our singers spare sm58 and put it through the PA and it really shone, let me use a clean sound without having the amp too much gain and i could use my DS2 and still get a nice sound.

Absolutely in love with this amp now!

Thanks guys for all your help.

Blainy
Orange Master

Post by Blainy » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:24 pm

matthewwatt2412 wrote:Hey Ironlung,

Thanks for your advice, okay i'll maybe give up on that idea then. Perhaps i will try hooking it through the PA system in the practice room next time to see if that can help with a little more volume although the PA systems look a bit dated.

You any suggestion what would be a nice overdrive/distortion pedal that would sound nice with the TT when the TT was being pushed hard (ie volume 90% and gain neutrak 50%) so i can go between a nice clean sound and then overdriven/distorted?
Do I understand right? You get a clean tone with 90/50? That's classic Angus Young territory on my TT. Not exactly death metal, sure, but clean??

everdrone
Orange Expert

Post by everdrone » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:31 am

hmm... interesting, just barely loud enough with rhythym bass and drums but not for guitar solo... still considering a TTcombo...
My solo downtuned HEAVY rock project: https://soundcloud.com/earthalliance

Guitarist and Bassist in Fort Worth, TEXAS