What this forum needs is more SPAM!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

sidvicious
Orange Master

Re: What this forum needs is more SPAM!

Post by sidvicious » Fri May 25, 2012 3:56 pm

personally, it's fine the way it is. the OT stuff provides some interesting reading without having to swap around.

it isn't bad right now at all.
Orange TV50
Orange Rockerverb MkII 2x12 Combo
Orange DT
Orange AD5
Orange PPC212

Vox AC50
Vox AC30
Vox AC4
2 Vox NT's
Marshall TlS 100
Marshall JCM800
Marshall slant
Mesa TA
60's Silverface Fender Twin
65 F SuperVerb
Bunch of others.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Fri May 25, 2012 4:06 pm

I have three votes: Bass Guitars and Amps, Recording, Buy/Sell

And if there is a fourth: Randy's Lounge

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Fri May 25, 2012 4:08 pm

sidvicious wrote:personally, it's fine the way it is. the OT stuff provides some interesting reading without having to swap around.

I like how it is now too. I'm not really opposed to adding subsections, but I agree that I don't really see a need for too many of them for the amount of traffic on here. We can look at the first page on this forum and see posts all the way back to Monday and we're Friday on various subjects. If they were all split up on too many levels, it would probably just make every section seem dead since not everyone would look at all of the subsections.

However, I think a couple of them wouldn't hurt too much. I'd vote for buy/sell as my #1.
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri May 25, 2012 4:27 pm

My take on subsections:

I never look at sections. I always click on View new posts, so I see everything that's new in one fell swoop. Which is what I would imagine everybody does....

... so in reality, we don't even need that many sections that we already have :mrgreen:

sidvicious
Orange Master

Post by sidvicious » Fri May 25, 2012 4:33 pm

i like randy's lounge where it is; on this forum.

diablo's point is a good one. there's not so much trash on here that you can't maneuver quickly to the new posts.

i'll reiterate; we all know one another pretty well and there's a level of evident respect. the OT posts are not a nuisance in my view. in fact, i learn from them. for example the post about mortgages in the UK was interesting.

the buy/sell isn't a bad idea. but don't monkey with this board too much.
Orange TV50
Orange Rockerverb MkII 2x12 Combo
Orange DT
Orange AD5
Orange PPC212

Vox AC50
Vox AC30
Vox AC4
2 Vox NT's
Marshall TlS 100
Marshall JCM800
Marshall slant
Mesa TA
60's Silverface Fender Twin
65 F SuperVerb
Bunch of others.

Eddie Famine
Orange Hero

Post by Eddie Famine » Fri May 25, 2012 5:12 pm

Yeah I like it the way it is too, a Buy/Sell might be nice, but maybe not from the manufactures point of view.

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Fri May 25, 2012 5:40 pm

The 'Not discussing prices' is really there so Orange don't go upsetting any dealers who buy and supply their amps, which is understandable.

There's no reason I can really think though why there couldn't be a used section for people wanting to buy/sell pedals for instance.

Do any other Amp maker forums run by the manufacturer have a buy/sell though?
Just curious...
Paul.

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Fri May 25, 2012 6:32 pm

My vote goes to buy/sell/trade.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Fri May 25, 2012 7:28 pm

sidvicious wrote:personally, it's fine the way it is. the OT stuff provides some interesting reading without having to swap around.

We agree.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

alexauxier
Forum Admin

Post by alexauxier » Fri May 25, 2012 9:02 pm

Buy/Sell/Trade isn't going to happen. Moderating that would be a huge hassle. It just isn't something that we're prepared to do at this point in time. Sorry everyone.

I think "off topic" makes the most sense personally. We've got some really on-point, creative, funny people here and I'm certain the off topic section would reflect that.
--
Alex Auxier
Orange Amps
Artist Relations Manager

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Fri May 25, 2012 9:49 pm

Well since my Llama Emporium isn't getting any traction I'll look at this seriously.

Honestly, if you subforum anything out of the Community Discussion section it's going to make the slow post times look that much slower and that's detrimental IMO. I would guess a big reason the bigger forums get bigger because content is always moving. The only thing that would really be adding to the forum would be something that is off limits now, like a buy/sell/trade and I agree, moderating that would be far more trouble than it's worth.

Are we really missing groups of people who are too intimidated by the Community Discussion to post questions about recording or bass gear? Is it because they don't think it's relevant? That sure as hell never stopped me (There's a thread about a New Sandbox Day around here somewhere)

I don't think setting up a separate area for those topics are going to get more people on the forum and if anything it's going to take content out of an already existing forum. Then again, I've also never run a forum.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sat May 26, 2012 2:45 am

OU818 wrote:I'd like a section about Spam.
Failing that, I'll settle for the Katy Perry section.
:lol:

I'd settle for a Livestock Section if Bad Monkey/Purple Llama would come back already.

The only serious suggestion that I have would be to make the Serial Numbers section more useful and possibly rename it. It would be a lot of work, but it would be nice if the official Orange Amps Forum could eventually become the comprehensive resource for information about vintage Orange models. The catalog scans are extremely useful and interesting, but it would be great to also have the kind of information found on the Orange Amps Field Guide. I wonder if Nick / Fiveightandten could be convinced to return for this purpose?

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Sat May 26, 2012 5:52 am

how about a BadMonkey subsection?
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Sat May 26, 2012 7:18 am

On the sub-sections, I don't think we really need a buy/sell/trade subsection. I'm sort of with the other guys in that I go to MusicRadar or Loot and have a search set up on eBay for Orange. Much bigger audience, many more products. It might be handy, but it sort of gets a bit impersonal and doesn't do anything about the random posts.

Agree with Alex that the best alternative would be an off-topic 'lounge' area when you can talk whatever you want, split out from the community discussion which could be re-branded 'guitars, amps 'n' stuff' or something.

The only other thing i'd consider is that one of the main reasons there was such a sense of community was because people saw most of the posts that arrived new as they were only in one or two forum areas. Split into lots of little sections and you lose the community feel, but also, the pool of people likely to answer your threads will probably decrease.

Billy does a good job, let him get on with it... oh, and a have a great wedding day Bill!
All the rules are probably what give the forum the reputation of being stuck up its own arse
Like... really? I've been hanging around the forum for almost as long as Billy has, and the overwhelming response from people was usually, "You guys are all really helpful compared to other forums." I appreciate some of the people generating posts to get those responses have moved on, but there's still enough of us about and you'd like to think that the new guys joining want to help out too...

Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

dtmaiden

Post by dtmaiden » Sat May 26, 2012 9:39 am

Yeah, I agree with Irish Admiral. And it is true, you guys are a lot more helpful than on other forae, and aren't anywhere near as arrogant. So, I'd disagree, the forum isn't particularly self-righteous or pretentious.

And we need the llama emporium!
Jackson DKMG, Jackson DR7
TH30C
Digitech RP350