Orange RV50 = best amp ever?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

jason41224
Orange Master

Re: Orange RV50 = best amp ever?

Post by jason41224 » Sun May 20, 2012 8:07 pm

i would actually rather have a VM over a Rockerverb.

but i would MUCH rather have an R30 over a VM. talk about dynamic, uncompressed snarly rock sounds!
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Sun May 20, 2012 9:50 pm

jason41224 wrote:i would actually rather have a VM over a Rockerverb.

but i would MUCH rather have an R30 over a VM. talk about dynamic, uncompressed snarly rock sounds!
The rocker 30 is cool no doubt. I think the VM is a much more versatile machine though, and probably just as dynamic if not more. It just depends on what core sound you're after. But, the VM can hit some liquid leads, that are just some of the juiciest sounding goodness you'll ever hear. It is definitely an amp in a class all it's own.

If you're the kinda player who is after the JTM and plexi type marshall tones of old, you owe it to yourself to try the vintage modern first. This amp will be a classic too in 30 years.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Sun May 20, 2012 10:11 pm

ironlung40 wrote:

The rocker 30 is cool no doubt. I think the VM is a much more versatile machine though, and probably just as dynamic if not more. It just depends on what core sound you're after. But, the VM can hit some liquid leads, that are just some of the juiciest sounding goodness you'll ever hear. It is definitely an amp in a class all it's own.

If you're the kinda player who is after the JTM and plexi type marshall tones of old, you owe it to yourself to try the vintage modern first. This amp will be a classic too in 30 years.
Darn... you've got me looking at these things now! :)
Paul.

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Sun May 20, 2012 11:50 pm

OrangePaul wrote:
ironlung40 wrote:

Darn... you've got me looking at these things now! :)

Sorry. I meant that they suck. :lol:
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Sun May 20, 2012 11:58 pm

The 50 watt VM combo is only $1,700 here.

I was looking at one before I looked at the Hiwatt.

Maybe I'll grab the combo as a backup amp later on.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Mon May 21, 2012 6:09 am

I have to agree that the VM will be considered a classic someday, like the JCM800 or similar.

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Mon May 21, 2012 7:42 pm

Wendigo wrote:I think I've agreed with you before on this topic, but since I have A/B'd mine with my Marshall, I have to say the Orange sound is totally lacking in many areas (it's still a phenomenal amp though). The Marshalls are just much more dynamic and snarly in the rock department...they just have the sound. The rockerverb is much smoother for compressed sounds I guess.
I saw that in an earlier post of yours, and that prompted me to start this thread. :wink: As for your assessment of the two amps - I think you're right on. I have previously owned a VM - the 50 watt and 4x12. It was a really rockin' setup. That is one great amp. Your statement that it might be a classic someday - I could easily see that happening. If I were in the market for a new amp - it would be right at the top of my list. It's a tremendous amp.

Truth is - I like a LOT of different amps. I think the RV50 MK I will be a "classic" someday as well. It's definitely a darker more compressed tone - but man, it does that tone perfectly! I'm happy for you that you found something you like better - that's what we're all doing here on gear forums, right? Searching for that next thing to help get us the tone each of us is after? Plenty of fantastic amps out there. And while I love my RV50, it's not getting nearly as much time these days as is my Dr. Z Stingray. But it goes in waves - and it may for you too.

SO, hold on to your RV50. When that wave comes around again and you want to ride it - you gotta have the right board to catch it! I wouldn't sell it. Stick it in the closet and forget about it. If it stays there a full year - sell it. YMMV.
Greg

amesav
Tiny Terror

Post by amesav » Mon May 21, 2012 9:07 pm

Norrin Radd wrote:
Wendigo wrote:I think I've agreed with you before on this topic, but since I have A/B'd mine with my Marshall, I have to say the Orange sound is totally lacking in many areas (it's still a phenomenal amp though). The Marshalls are just much more dynamic and snarly in the rock department...they just have the sound. The rockerverb is much smoother for compressed sounds I guess.
I saw that in an earlier post of yours, and that prompted me to start this thread. :wink: As for your assessment of the two amps - I think you're right on. I have previously owned a VM - the 50 watt and 4x12. It was a really rockin' setup. That is one great amp. Your statement that it might be a classic someday - I could easily see that happening. If I were in the market for a new amp - it would be right at the top of my list. It's a tremendous amp.

Truth is - I like a LOT of different amps. I think the RV50 MK I will be a "classic" someday as well. It's definitely a darker more compressed tone - but man, it does that tone perfectly! I'm happy for you that you found something you like better - that's what we're all doing here on gear forums, right? Searching for that next thing to help get us the tone each of us is after? Plenty of fantastic amps out there. And while I love my RV50, it's not getting nearly as much time these days as is my Dr. Z Stingray. But it goes in waves - and it may for you too.

SO, hold on to your RV50. When that wave comes around again and you want to ride it - you gotta have the right board to catch it! I wouldn't sell it. Stick it in the closet and forget about it. If it stays there a full year - sell it. YMMV.

Well said Greg spot on !!!!!
Orange Thunderverb 50
Orange Rockerverb 50 MK1
Gibson Les Paul Standard

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Tue May 22, 2012 7:09 pm

Greg you're right of course, but I'm so impulsive I might sell it anyway! :mrgreen:

Hey Ironlung are you the same Ironlung as over at http://www.marshallforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

Jim

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Tue May 22, 2012 11:29 pm

Wendigo wrote:Greg you're right of course, but I'm so impulsive I might sell it anyway! :mrgreen:

Hey Ironlung are you the same Ironlung as over at http://www.marshallforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

Jim
Yep. I'm also on the marshallvintagemodernforum too as the same name. I haven't been very active in those forums for awhile, though. I still visit them occasionally, though. I've learned a lot about tube amps in the marshallforum. There used to be some techs that posted in there a lot.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Tue May 22, 2012 11:45 pm

ironlung40 wrote:
Wendigo wrote:Greg you're right of course, but I'm so impulsive I might sell it anyway! :mrgreen:

Jim
Yep. I'm also on the marshallvintagemodernforum too as the same name. I haven't been very active in those forums for awhile, though. I still visit them occasionally, though. I've learned a lot about tube amps in the marshallforum. There used to be some techs that posted in there a lot.
I thought that was I wind up when I read that at first..

Are you a member of the orangeOR120forum too? :mrgreen:
Paul.

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Tue May 22, 2012 11:59 pm

OrangePaul wrote:
ironlung40 wrote:

Jim
I thought that was I wind up when I read that at first..

Are you a member of the orangeOR120forum too? :mrgreen:
Well, there used to be a vintage modern forum, but I just now realized that it has changed to "the marshall roadhouse" http://marshallroadhouse.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10548" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So I wasn't making that up, except I think it was actually http://www.marshallvintagemodern.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Wed May 23, 2012 10:30 pm

Well I sold it...Marshall YJM100 and 4x12 on the way. :mrgreen:

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Wed May 23, 2012 11:36 pm

Wendigo wrote:Well I sold it...Marshall YJM100 and 4x12 on the way. :mrgreen:
That is a sweet amp with some very sweet features as well. I'm not sure I'd want a YJM and a VM though, as they'd be in the same ball park tonally, though. But, I do have a VM and and 800, so I shouldn't talk. :mrgreen:
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI