OT: Wow, what a day!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Wed May 16, 2012 11:59 am

I've been scoping out possibly selling some gear and finally buying my dream amp, a Reeves Custom 100 with 2x12 loaded with Eminence Vintage Purples.

So today I hear that because of the crisis in Greece, the AUD has dropped below parity with the US. Suddenly my expensive enough purchase of the Reeves is going to cost even more, approximately $400 more :evil:

Realising that I probably can't afford it and faced with gear that isn't selling, I resign myself to not owning a Hiwatt.

THEN! Tonight I get a phone call from a dude who wants to check out my Hellcat. He comes over, plays it for a bit, and leaves me with a few hundred deposit with a promise to drop the rest off in a day or so.

Feeling chuffed I sit down at the computer to resume studying when an email stating that my 2x12 just sold on eBay appears before me.

All of a sudden I am 2/3 of the way towards the Reeves...

Then the best part... I mention on a local gear forum that I am after a Hiwatt and I get a PM in a matter of minutes.
A guy down the road from me is offering me a 1976 Hylight Hiwatt DR103 with matching 4x12 with the original Fanes...

...FOR EXACTLY WHAT I JUST SOLD MY COMBO AND 2x12 FOR!!!

Apparently the Hiwatt is mint as this guy really takes care of is gear. I am going to check it out on the weekend!

I am so freakin' excited at the moment. I am not only about to buy a dream amp, but I am buying a vintage one from the same era that Dave Gilmour played them on DSOTM and The Wall...

I am meant to be studying for my Biology and Maths exam at the moment but my brain no longer can think of anything other than ripping into the Comfortably Numb solo :lol:

Anyway, just thought I'd share!

ImageImage

EDIT: Apparently he just found that the Presence knob doesn't do much until 7 but then it comes on strong. If all this amp has is a single pot issue then I count myself pretty lucky :D
Last edited by OU818 on Wed May 16, 2012 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Wed May 16, 2012 12:04 pm

Nice! Hope it all works out for you... but so far it sounds like it was meant to be. I've never even played a Hiwatt myself, I have a general idea of what they sound like but don't have much experience with them.
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

OU818
Orange Master

Re: OT: Wow, what a day!

Post by OU818 » Wed May 16, 2012 12:07 pm

DiabloS wrote:Nice! Hope it all works out for you... but so far it sounds like it was meant to be. I've never even played a Hiwatt myself, I have a general idea of what they sound like but don't have much experience with them.
I played one once but never owned one. The one time I played it left an impression on me that hasn't faded after 6 years.
However they have been the amps behind some of my favourite music which is where the attraction started.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

ScottyDanger
Orange Hero

Post by ScottyDanger » Wed May 16, 2012 2:33 pm

When it's meant to be, it's meant to be!

I listed on Orange on craigslist, and replied to a few ads selling Princeton Reverbs...sold the Orange on a Friday night, and hopped on a train to Long Island to buy a Princeton Saturday morning for $100 less than I got for the Orange. When things line up like that, you know they're meant to be!
SG Standard / Telecaster / Cyclone
Fender '65 Princeton Reverb RI
MXR - M102 / M103 / M169

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Wed May 16, 2012 4:58 pm

Hey thats great. Hope it doesn't fall through for any reason - that would be a real heartbreaker.

Thats totally normal with the presence control, not an issue at all! :D
It is very subtle until somewhere about 14:00 or 15:00, then it all happens. Very powerful and very useful control.

I see that is a 'two holer' (= 2 not 4 inputs). They had a shade more gain than the earlier 4 holers I believe, but not as much as the later 'Biacrown' era ones. Don't expect massive distortion at low volumes - won't happen. Do expect fantastic tones at ALL volumes though, and some simply breathtaking (and ear breaking) sounds at high volumes. Take care (REALLY!!!) because they sound so sweet that you may not realise just how loud you are getting. But remeber, they can easily do serious permanent hearing damage - these are about the loudest hundred watters ever made. Only ever crank one up with guitar through a big cab if you are in a BIG hall - or outdoors. Otherwise get a good attenuator. It is worth experiencing these amps flat out, but not worth serious hearing damage as you'd never be able to enjoy it again. (But thats enough on that...)

You can link the channels by using a Y cord. Worth doing as you can then use the two volume controls as an extra form of EQ to regulate the overall brightness. I always channel link with my 4 holer.

You know this site I take it?
http://hiwatt.org/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You should be able to check the date from the page here:
http://hiwatt.org/dates.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A '76 should be in the 9XXX range.

Certainly looks mint from the photos (though they are small). A lot of Hiwatts are in pretty good nick though - they were very expensive amps new and most owners took a lot of pride in them and kept them nice. If it doesn't come with one get yourself a good soft cover for it and keep it that way. I'm lucky that despite regular use mine is a good 9.5/10 outside and aproximately 9.8/10 inside.

A good checkover from a tech is a must. Make sure the filter capacitors are in good nick or you may have problems. Also good valves are a must. Give those things these amps almost never go wrong. Probably the best valve instrument amps ever made IMO - bar none!

Weekend must seem a long way off. But once I'd secured mine I had to wait months because it was in Scotland, I was in Holland, and NO WAY was I goin to trust this baby to any couriers. So a few days wait ain't so bad... :wink:

Fingers crossed for you this weekend! :D

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Wed May 16, 2012 5:22 pm

I think you'll love it. The guitarist in my bandmate's other band plays a vintage Hiwatt and his tone is amazing. I believe his amp was formerly owned by Duane Denison of Jesus Lizard or something like that. It sounds really good anyways.

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Wed May 16, 2012 9:47 pm

I've spoken with the current owner a little more and he has told me that he bought this amp 25 years ago on a whim when he was taking a break from Marshalls. Since then he has only played it sparingly and only in his home studio. The 4x12 is in storage in a pro road case so it should also be in the same condition.

Looks like I may have stumbled on to a great deal if all the electronics check out O.K.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

brianr0131
Orange Master

Post by brianr0131 » Thu May 17, 2012 1:57 am

Go ASAP!
Mesa Road King-Carvin Legacy 212-Silvertone 1484-Parker Fly DLX-Les Paul Trad Pro-USA ASAT-LP Junior-60's Tribute LP GTop-HWY1 Strat-Esquire Build-Peavey Predator-VHT Valvulator-Bud Wah-CMAT Signa Drive-Keeley Mod DS1-Monte Allum Dyna Comp-TU2-CE5-GE7-DD7

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Thu May 17, 2012 2:19 am

Kickass! Hope it all goes smoothly. I wanna see some gut shots.

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Thu May 17, 2012 4:23 am

man, that's a great ending to your day! congrats!
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Thu May 17, 2012 1:33 pm

Wow... gotta love it when planets align! or something like that...

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu May 17, 2012 5:20 pm

OU818 wrote:I've spoken with the current owner a little more and he has told me that he bought this amp 25 years ago on a whim when he was taking a break from Marshalls. Since then he has only played it sparingly and only in his home studio. The 4x12 is in storage in a pro road case so it should also be in the same condition.

Looks like I may have stumbled on to a great deal if all the electronics check out O.K.
Definitely. There really isn't much to go wrong with these amps. Though if only occasionally used for many years the filter caps probably will need swapped out - ASAP. At least have them checked by a good tech. In any amps over about 15-20 years they really do need checked.

Electrolytic capacitors do degrade faster if unused for long periods, so they may be heading for a terminal 'pop' which is nasty if it happens as they can explode spraying corrosive gunk around the guts of your amp. Trust me, been there, you don't want that!
Ironically if regularly used throughout their life they may well be okay, but it sounds like this isn't the case here!

Andy.

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Gtr_Pkr
Orange Expert

Post by Gtr_Pkr » Mon May 21, 2012 5:40 pm

Hiwatts are great! I love mine, but I do not get a much of chance to crank it up at home. Hope it works out. Keep us updated.
Lost in the spacey reverb of the Rockerverb.......SOMEBODY GET ME OUTTA HERE!!

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Mon May 21, 2012 6:00 pm

Yeah, far as I know the weekend is over...

So, did it happen? Just a tiny bit on the edge of my seat here! :!:

Andy.

ScottyDanger
Orange Hero

Post by ScottyDanger » Mon May 21, 2012 8:07 pm

a.hun wrote:Yeah, far as I know the weekend is over...

So, did it happen? Just a tiny bit on the edge of my seat here! :!:

Andy.
+1

Get on with it already! :mrgreen:
SG Standard / Telecaster / Cyclone
Fender '65 Princeton Reverb RI
MXR - M102 / M103 / M169