some say they are "The Beatles of Metal"

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Re: some say they are "The Beatles of Metal"

Post by baytamusic » Thu May 24, 2012 2:02 pm

I love the Beatles. I think if you appreciate songwriting and vocal harmonies, it's hard not to like them.

That being said, a thing I don't think people realize is that a lot of their innovation wasn't in their songwriting as much as their studio work and recording techniques. They practically invented (along with their engineer) many of the modern recording practices we take for granted these days. A big one is multiple close mic setups on the drums, including a mic on the bass drum. The Beatles were a big enough band, that they were able to go against the "rules" of EMI and innovate in the studio. It also helped when they decided to not play live anymore, which allowed them to do things in the studio that didn't need to be reproduced live.

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Fri May 25, 2012 3:21 am

baytamusic wrote: I think if you appreciate songwriting and vocal harmonies, it's hard not to like them.

hard, but certainly not impossible ;)
LIKE SPACE ROCK? = VAN CLEEF @ BANDCAMP http://vancleef.bandcamp.com/

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Fri May 25, 2012 3:27 am

oranginator wrote:
You actually think the Beatles only created 10 great songs? Wow. Please, get educated and show some respect. Also, no one said the Beatles were great rock or jazz musicians. They simply made good music for the masses that had carried large amounts of creativity, exploration, and simply just good taste that anyone can listen to. It inspired me to even want to play guitar. They had stuff that you know, actually had guitar solos every once in awhile, and music that everyone knows.
i have been showing respect - by not resorting to ad hominems and accusations that because i don't like the same music that you like, i am somehow musically uneducated...

'they simply made good music for the masses' is a meaningless sentiment to me

so do the black eyed peas, so does justin beiber...

i want music that tears my chest open, grabs me by the heart and squeezes... tight...

and as i said... there's maybe an albums worth of beatles songs that do that to me

so please accept my apologies for not liking the same music that you like... i realise that some people are threatened by differences of opinion and i didn't mean to scare you

have a nice day

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sat May 26, 2012 2:06 am

Van Cleef wrote:
baytamusic wrote: I think if you appreciate songwriting and vocal harmonies, it's hard not to like them.

hard, but certainly not impossible ;)
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I happen to be underwhelmed by the music of the Beatles. I don't really know why people will sometimes mistake a subjective opinion for "Beatle Hate" or whatever. It's kinda like me suggesting that people who won't accept my opinion of the Beatles are "Beatle Fascists". I don't really have the desire to force others to like the same music that I like. Creed isn't for everybody 8) .

JRogero
Orange Hero

Post by JRogero » Wed May 30, 2012 4:44 am

obviously you don't quite understand what 'hate' actually means
Actually I do know what hate means. If someone uses the adjectives "tedious", "cringeworthy", and "heinously" to describe something then I'm going to assume they hate the thing they're using those words to describe. If it had been described using words like "OK", "alright", or "not bad" then I would assume that it is simply not their cup of tea.
so please accept my apologies for not liking the same music that you like... i realise that some people are threatened by differences of opinion and i didn't mean to scare you
I'm sorry if I came across as a music fascists. If someone like me is hitting you over the head saying you must like this music than that's going to make you less likely to appreciate it not more likely. You can't win a musical argument with logic. It takes emotion and everyone feels things differently. If everyone had the same tastes the world would be a boring place. So I don't feel threatened by someone who doesn't like the Beatles. I just don't get it that's all.

bassdrop
Orange Master

Post by bassdrop » Wed May 30, 2012 2:29 pm

I've played in bands with a guitarist for 7 years that thinks that the Beatles are, eh, OK. Despite the fact that I think they're brilliant and don't understand that opinion, I've never let that shut me off from playing with him. It's similar to my lack of understanding how someone can listen to hardcore punk all the time, for instance. If we all liked the same music it would get boring pretty quickly.
mmmmmm drop

Guthrie Matthews Method
http://www.guthriematthews.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Modified Fender Custom Shop Jazz, Warmoth P/J clone,
Orange AD200 MkIII, Barefaced Compact

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Thu May 31, 2012 5:49 am

JRogero wrote:
obviously you don't quite understand what 'hate' actually means
Actually I do know what hate means. If someone uses the adjectives "tedious", "cringeworthy", and "heinously" to describe something then I'm going to assume they hate the thing they're using those words to describe. If it had been described using words like "OK", "alright", or "not bad" then I would assume that it is simply not their cup of tea.

Actually no you don't

i clearly stated that they have an album's worth of truly great songs

how could you possibly contest that i hate a band where i have explicitly stated TWICE that they have in my opinion around 10 great songs

in future, please read entire posts and don't cherrypick individual lines to attempt to bolster your argument

by the way - when i said "please accept my apologies for not liking the same music that you like" - that was dripping in 100% pure colombian uncut sarcasm

when it comes to the beatles i am a little sick of the whole "if you don't like the beatles the terrorists have already won" type of arguments...

JRogero
Orange Hero

Post by JRogero » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:14 pm

how could you possibly contest that i hate a band where i have explicitly stated TWICE that they have in my opinion around 10 great songs
OK, you win. I can't look into your head and know whether or not you hate something. I personally would have used different adjectives to describe something I didn't hate but we're all different.
by the way - when i said "please accept my apologies for not liking the same music that you like" - that was dripping in 100% pure colombian uncut sarcasm
Really, I would have never guessed.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:01 pm

Somebody get out the boxing gloves!

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:00 pm

I think we are all in agreement - the Beatles were a band that made albums with songs on them.

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:43 pm

Randy Bass wrote:I think we are all in agreement - the Beatles were a band that made albums with songs on them.
Yeah, this thread should be dead already.

The Beatles suck, though. :)
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:01 pm

JRogero wrote:You can't win a musical argument...
That's really all you had to say.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

jontheid
Orange Expert

Post by jontheid » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:12 pm

I think some of their songs are better than some of their other songs.
Anybody who says different doesn't know what they are talking about.

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:27 am

the beatles don't suck as much as U2 though...

they are a special breed of shite - i actually rate 'em right up there with coldplay and nickelback...

also, in general, any metal made after 1988 should be avoided like the plague...

and most metal made before 1988 should be avoided too :lol:

*stirs hornets*

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:42 am

I'd better go make some popcorn. I'm so hungry I could eat the face off of a naked homeless guy.